Sign in to follow this  
Engineer2Pilot

Chances for Fighter Units?

Hey everyone,

I am 23 years old and applying to all available fighter units in the reserves and the guard. I just got my scores back too for my AFOQT. Here is my package so far.

• 23 years old
  • Pilot: 98 Nav: 94 AA: 81 V: 85 Q: 70
  • PCSM: 80
  • Mechanical Engineer at Northrop Grumman GPA 2.52 (I know I know so low)
  • PPL check ride is literally for this Tuesday but the weather is so bad, already 2nd time it has been rescheduled
  • LORs from AD C130 pilot, my CFI, and my engineering mentor

I am ready to start applying to fighter units now. My only concern is there are a few boards coming up and my PPL isn't complete due to the weather. Am I able to explain that my check ride is scheduled and ready to go but the weather has not been cooperating? Or will most fighter units not give a shit because luck is tough? Is there any chance for the next few fighter guard boards for me to get picked up with the PPL about to be complete or am I shit out of luck? 

Edited by Fakedicck

You're probably in the realm of consideration but not super competitive, at least on paper. Most of the Guard/Reserve fighter squadrons are going to require a PPL, maybe your checkride scheduled would be enough, idk. If you visited a squadron during their meet-and-greet events and hit it off, there's no reason you wouldn't get hired. Don't sweat the GPA, they don't particularly care and having an ME degree is an easy explanation.

If your GPA were any higher, they might not want you either... dude you're competitive. What's your PCSM at 201+?

Hey everyone,

I am 23 years old and applying to all available fighter units in the reserves and the guard. I just got my scores back too for my AFOQT. Here is my package so far.

• 23 years old
  • Pilot: 98 Nav: 94 AA: 81 V: 85 Q: 70
  • PCSM: 78 (I am at 52 hours, will be 82 at 61 hours)
  • Mechanical Engineer at Northrop Grumman GPA 2.52 (I know I know so low)
  • PPL check ride is literally for this Tuesday but the weather is so bad, already 2nd time it has been rescheduled
  • LORs from AD C130 pilot, my CFI, and my engineering mentor

I am ready to start applying to fighter units now. My only concern is there are a few boards coming up and my PPL isn't complete due to the weather. Am I able to explain that my check ride is scheduled and ready to go but the weather has not been cooperating? Or will most fighter units not give a shit because luck is tough? Is there any chance for the next few fighter guard boards for me to get picked up with the PPL about to be complete or am I shit out of luck? 

No reason not to apply.

2 hours ago, PilotPitts said:

No reason not to apply.

Good advice. 

53 minutes ago, Buckley Viper Hopeful said:

You look decent but not that competitive to be honest. Your scores look like they align more toward heavy units, not fighter units. Maybe you should reconsider your fighter only mindset. 

Bad advice.  It’s a whole person concept. Is GPA low? Yes, but that’s one part of your entire application. What I really care about is do you have the aptitude to pass UPT and the drive to see yourself through the shit times that you are bound to encounter either in training or on a deployment? Secondly I want to know that you mesh well with the unit so that when we are spending months on end deployed downrange, we all don’t keep asking ourselves the question, “who the fvck is this guy and why’d we hire him?”  Being a good bro, in my own opinion, is worth more than being a manga cum laude ME graduate. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, mp5g said:

Bad advice.  It’s a whole person concept. Is GPA low? Yes, but that’s one part of your entire application. What I really care about is do you have the aptitude to pass UPT and the drive to see yourself through the shit times that you are bound to encounter either in training or on a deployment? Secondly I want to know that you mesh well with the unit so that when we are spending months on end deployed downrange, we all don’t keep asking ourselves the question, “who the fvck is this guy and why’d we hire him?”  Being a good bro, in my own opinion, is worth more than being a manga cum laude ME graduate. 

Sure, but when fighter squadrons are getting 30 guys showing up to the meet-and-greets (plus who knows how many more applicants who just send their package in), and half those guys are commercial pilots with a thousand hours and a PCSM through the roof, and happened to play football at the college down the road... it can be hard to get noticed, even if you are a good bro. That said, he's 23, so he's definitely got the time to spend a few years chasing fighters before he has to settle on heavies.

14 hours ago, GDAL said:

If your GPA were any higher, they might not want you either... dude you're competitive. What's your PCSM at 201+?

It's at a 97. 

14 hours ago, sforron said:

You're probably in the realm of consideration but not super competitive, at least on paper. Most of the Guard/Reserve fighter squadrons are going to require a PPL, maybe your checkride scheduled would be enough, idk. If you visited a squadron during their meet-and-greet events and hit it off, there's no reason you wouldn't get hired. Don't sweat the GPA, they don't particularly care and having an ME degree is an easy explanation.

Am I not competitive because I don't have my PPL yet? What else makes me not competitive besides my GPA? I am going to the meet and greets and meeting all the pilots. I can also retake the TBAS soon.  

34 minutes ago, Fakedicck said:

It's at a 97. 

Am I not competitive because I don't have my PPL yet? What else makes me not competitive besides my GPA? I am going to the meet and greets and meeting all the pilots. I can also retake the TBAS soon.  

I dunno if I'd retake the TBAS. Mine was a 98 but I had well over 201 hours during my interviews. I got calls from fighter, bomber, and heavy units. I think you're fine, my dude.

Edited by GDAL
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GDAL said:

I dunno if I'd retake the TBAS. Mine was a 98 but I had well over 201 hours during my interviews. I got calls from fighter, bomber, and heavy units. I think you're fine, my dude.

My PCSM actually just updated to an 80 for 61 hours, and a 92 for 201+. 

Gotcha. Although it might not make or break your chances, I'd suggest retaking the TBAS since it's a free and pretty painless option. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing worse the second time. My PCSM went up 8 points after I retook it. I also recommend it because there's evidence that there's still a lot of 'headroom' for your PCSM and the TBAS looks like your bottleneck, because I have a worse Pilot score than you (92) and I'm in a lower hour bracket (21-40) but my PCSM is 2 points higher. Might as well give it a shot unless you're really worried you'll do worse.

2 hours ago, mb1685 said:

Gotcha. Although it might not make or break your chances, I'd suggest retaking the TBAS since it's a free and pretty painless option. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing worse the second time. My PCSM went up 8 points after I retook it. I also recommend it because there's evidence that there's still a lot of 'headroom' for your PCSM and the TBAS looks like your bottleneck, because I have a worse Pilot score than you (92) and I'm in a lower hour bracket (21-40) but my PCSM is 2 points higher. Might as well give it a shot unless you're really worried you'll do worse.

No doubt, still have to wait about 2 months to take it again though. I'm just hoping that 80 is a competitive score for fighter units. 

3 minutes ago, Buckley Viper Hopeful said:

You would be incorrect to think that an 80 is competitive. Like I said, you should look more into heavies, you don't have a package for fighters.

@Fakedicck

Below is what was sent out by the 457th a month or two ago. 

“In the meantime this is a good synopsis of what you need to be competitive for a UPT spot.

AFOQT PILOT 91
AFOQT NAVIGATOR 83
AFOQT ACADEMIC APTITUDE 65
AFOQT VERBAL 66
AFOQT QUANTITATIVE 60
***PCSM 84***
GPA 3.3
FLYING HOURS 3.3 (and continuing to build hours)”

Buckley Viper Hopeful is trolling you. 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2018 at 7:26 PM, Buckley Viper Hopeful said:

I'm not trolling, the guy has a terrible GPA and his PCSM is 4 points below average. How do you think he is competitive? 

I am going to use context clues (I.e. “Hopeful”) and assume that you’ve never been on a hiring board. If I’m wrong, I’ll gladly put my foot in my mouth. 

The dude is a mechanical engineer with a high Pilot and Nav score, decent flight hours, a LOR from an Active pilot, and he’s 23yo. A PCSM of 80 is in the ballpark. 

Is a hiring board going to be amazed all that? No. But if he visits a unit and hits it off with the guys he has as good of a chance as anyone does.

To flat out say that he “doesn’t have a package for fighters” is garbage. 

@Fakedicck Apply. Send them far and wide and do your best to visit those units. You might not get picked up....but then again, you just might. 

Just like John Daily once said: “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take” Or was that Oprah? Regardless, you get the point. 

Edited by PilotCandidate
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

I'm not trolling, the guy has a terrible GPA and his PCSM is 4 points below average. How do you think he is competitive? 
Go with your stats, then STFU.
  • Like 1

Buckley Douche, how about you shut the up since you have a 2.2 GPA and 25 PCSM, according to your other thread about trying to get hired with Buckley.

Fakedicck, go for it. You have stats to get hired with a fighter squadron. Are there dudes who have better scores? Yes. If a squadron has a lot of applicants, they might select interviews based on GPA and scores. But they don't always get a billion applicants. You'd be surprised sometimes how few applicantfs we can get, then other boards we get a ton.

Keep working on it. You're 23, you got time on your side. Don't sweat your GPA, it's fine.

EDIT: misread, your GPA is lower than I originally thought. Not the end of the world, especially since you're 23. If you suspect it's keeping you from interviews, go work towards your masters and bring it up. MBA or Technical masters will certainly help you in your civ job as well, so not a wasted effort.

• Like 2

Buckley "Hopeful," Don't be pissed off at the world when you get told No by Buckley "because you made a good impression" or don't even get invited for an interview at all!  Plenty of well qualified dudes/dudettes make great impressions and wind up not getting an interview.  There are plenty of guys on this forum who have proven themselves through UPT,IFF, B-Course, etc.  I'd tread lightly telling someone "they'd be a drag to fly with" when you yourself are on the pursuit of UPT! Don't kill your chances before they even start!  For you @Fakedicck, screw what this dude says!  APPLY APPLY APPLY, you're competitive! Interviews are way more than what you look like on paper.  I've seen firsthand a bro who got hired with a fighter squadron with mediocre AFOQT scores and a 56 PCSM.  He finished number two in his UPT Class and was top stick out of his B-Course class! 

• Upvote 1

Let Mr Buckley be a lesson to some of you younger dudes on these forums. There are always people watching and it wouldn't take a rocket scientist from Buckley to figure out who he is and throw his package (sts) out from any future hiring board for being.... less than a good dude. You may not like the way some of the older guys respond to your posts, but showing a blatant SNAP attitude like the one currently being demo pro'd is a sure way to make a first and only impression. The reality is people that have come before you have created a pretty awesome culture where respect and humility go a long way. So when you're obviously being called out by multiple people, lose the ego and take the criticism. If Buckley bro was smart, he'd do just that. But I'm afraid that ship has sailed my friends...

• Like 1

Chill out man I just call them like I see them. Some dudes just won't get the chance so they need to look elsewhere too.  I went to the meet and greet and made a good impression so you can make fun of me all you want. To me, it sounds like you would be a drag to fly with. 
Confirm you have a 2.2 GPA, 25 PCSM, have never interviewed, have only applied to 1 board and been to 1 meet and greet, and are applying to a fighter squadron? All while you are telling a guy with significantly better scores and a better GPA to look elsewhere?

Shack, definitely troll status.
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 4

Buckley dudes look at this website, and plenty of us know pilots there, Magic is correct.  Making fun of people is a time honored tradition in the fighter pilot world, ONCE you've earned your place, a UPT hopeful has not.  Apply, visit, be a good dude but do not talk trash about other applicants or your application will be shredded.  There are more applicants than spots, and most units would rather hire internally with people we have known for years.  It's an uphill battle but plenty of current and former ANG fighter pilots have succeeded in making it from zero to hero.  

55 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Buckley Douche, how about you shut the up since you have a 2.2 GPA and 25 PCSM, according to your other thread about trying to get hired with Buckley.

Fakedicck, go for it. You have stats to get hired with a fighter squadron. Are there dudes who have better scores? Yes. If a squadron has a lot of applicants, they will select interviews based on GPA and scores. But they don't always get a billion applicants. You'd be surprised sometimes how few applicantfs we can get, then other boards we get a ton.

Keep working on it. You're 23, you got time on your side. Don't sweat your GPA, it's fine.

EDIT: misread, your GPA is lower than I originally thought. Not the end of the world, especially since you're 23. If you suspect it's keeping you from interviews, go work towards your masters and bring it up. MBA or Technical masters will certainly help you in your civ job as well, so not a wasted effort.

Just ignore the asshat. Dude is banking on 1 fighter unit. He's a troll or has his head so far up his ass. 

Anyway, do you really think the GPA is a big downfall? I've talked to a lot of the guys and they say it can be overlooked with good scores and solid work history. 

Just ignore the asshat. Dude is banking on 1 fighter unit. He's a troll or has his head so far up his ass. 

Anyway, do you really think the GPA is a big downfall? I've talked to a lot of the guys and they say it can be overlooked with good scores and solid work history. 

Can absolutely be over looked, which is why I don't recommend you blindly get a masters What I meant is, if you spend a year applying and don't get invited and feel like it's your GPA holding you back, then a masters is a way to bring it up.

Scores and GPAs can become a factor when there are a significant amount of applications. For example, my unit isn't going to look through 100 applications page by page. We might rack and stack them by scores and GPAs to narrow it down to the top 30 or so, then read through those thoroughly.

And then what happens if the top 30 applications all read well? You gotta sort them somehow.

To be honest bro, as someone who is currently in UPT you are excemplifying the kind of attitude that dudes wash out for! It’s not even close to being butt hurt about anything. It’s pretty cliche , but have you ever heard the term “Never miss an opportunity to STFU?” It’s a real thing, especially in the fighter community. About five minutes ago the DO or Sq/CC at Buckley just threw your app in the garbage. Also, does being a legacy help in the fighter community, absolutely! It’s usually the legacy’s who let everyone know they’re a legacy who don’t get hired. You can take the criticism as you want, choice is yours. Please report back in six months with your job status!