RUMINT: AD FTU F16s to Kelly Field

IMUA

Ran through my old stomping grounds the other day: Kelly Field in San Antonio (KSKF).

Word on the street from the AD folks running the airfield is 2 AD F16 squadrons (AETC Tails) are inbound that will fall under the guard WG to bolster F16 B-course production. Apparently Holloman isn’t working out as planned.

And it’s happening...my old unit is literally fighting their “eviction” from their current building to make way for the new tennants.

Anyone else hearing this?

7 minutes ago, YoungnDumb said:

Too late to change my B-course from Holloman to Kelly?

Tucson is better, delay as long as you can to come here.  The UofA coeds clothing will be getting skimpier as the months pass.  We travel more during the B course and we have a decent amount of dissimilar training.  We've taken students to New Orleans, Klamath, Portland, Key West, San Diego and Nellis just to name a few.  Kelly is an improvement on Holloman though ,as far as jets, we've taken delivery of at least 8 Hill F-16's with plans for more.  Kelly has some limitations, namely they come to Tucson to drop bombs.

Edited by matmacwc
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, JeremiahWeed said:

Why is this?

It's been a while for me, but I always thought it was a pretty good location in terms of ramp space, airspace, terrain, ranges, etc.  What happened?

Can't PCS an IP when he can 7 day opt and the airlines are hiring.

Edit: As in, F-16 IPs don't want to go to Holloman because the location is terrible so they will decline those PCS orders and separate to go to the airlines/ARC.

Edited by LookieRookie

Town sucks 

airspace is good. 

Original plan had some ad b-course units at HMN, some still at LUF .... you know, to capitalize on some of those economies of scale and what not  

Couldn’t get many reservists to volunteer to HMN. 

Did I mention the town sucks  

etc 

etc

17 minutes ago, YoungnDumb said:

I feel like I have to ask the obvious.  Where does AFPC think they're going to generate IP's from fore these new squadrons.  Or am I misreading this and they're just going to move the squadrons from Holloman?

The only reason the F-16s are at Holloman is because the NM congressional faction blew their lid when the Raptors were fragged to get moved to Tyndall. A token F-16 presence there assuaged their fears of that shithole drying up completely so I doubt they’ll be leaving.  Airspace can be awesome.  Supersonic everywhere.  Can also suck ass since White Sands Missile Range owns it and can steal unreasonable chunks.  Town is dreadful. Nothing to do. Liquor licenses are held hostage by the town elders so very few around, at least as of a couple years ago. 

Edited by RTB
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, YoungnDumb said:

I feel like I have to ask the obvious.  Where does AFPC think they're going to generate IP's from fore these new squadrons.  Or am I misreading this and they're just going to move the squadrons from Holloman?

Not sure, but in the long term, they will get them from where they currently come from. Moving from Holloman to Kelly will at least slow the bleeding, which is part of the equation.

Edited by ViperMan

14 hours ago, Sprkt69 said:

There is also a rumor of two squadrons of Vipers showing up to Whiteman for FTU

Not sure that's the best plan 'B' given the reason dudes were bailing when staring down Holloman, but, hey, what do I know? Hopefully we'll learn from our mistakes. How's about a det at Miramar or MacDill?

15 hours ago, JeremiahWeed said:

I guess I'm missing something here.  Does "Holloman" means something else other than an AD base in southern NM?  What about it was a bad idea from the start?

Location, location, location. Good ramp space, airspace (on paper), etc, mean NOTHING when it comes to your after work life.

17 hours ago, HossHarris said:

Holloman was a terrible idea from the start

Could have asked me and I would have told them the same thing, probably could have saved them a few hundred million dollars in the process, too. Oh well.

9 hours ago, Standby said:

Bunch of divas. What an age to live in where people will walk away from one of the coolest jobs in the world because of a few years spent in a remote location. 

It's strange how people make decisions based on quality of life, huh?

9 hours ago, FlyinGrunt said:

@Standby, those are some tough words for a person in an area as nice as you . . .

While not as nice the Emerald Coast, I’m enjoying my time at Laughlin. I know everybody is different but I just find it comical that the military has found a way to make flying explosive-laden fast jets less appealing than hauling around 200 selfish individuals in a slower metal tube. 

Edit: yes, I volunteered to go to DLF. 

Edited by Standby

3 hours ago, Standby said:

I know everybody is different but I just find it comical that the military has found a way to make flying explosive-laden fast jets less appealing than hauling around 200 selfish individuals in a slower metal tube.

I think you kind of have that flip-flopped.  I think it's the folks with the "slower metal tube" that have found a way to make that MORE appealing.  QOL and lots of $$$ to use in that "L" are a strong incentive no matter how much fun the explosive-laden jet is.  Last I checked, the wife and kids don't get to go to the range with you.

When you can gross over a million dollars every 4-5 years, that tube with 200 folks in it (or a bunch of overnight packages) looks pretty dayum good.  Just sayin'.

Edited by JeremiahWeed
  • Upvote 1

I think you kind of have that flip-flopped.  I think it's the folks with the "slower metal tube" that have found a way to make that MORE appealing.  QOL and lots of $$$ to use in that "L" are a strong incentive no matter how much fun the explosive-laden jet is.  Last I checked, the wife and kids don't get to go to the range with you.
When you can gross over a million dollars every 4-5 years, that tube with 200 folks in it (or a bunch of overnight packages) looks pretty dayum good.  Just sayin'.

Huge “2” on this. I could give a shit anymore about tactical flying. Leave me alone, pay me. End of story.

5 hours ago, Standby said:

While not as nice the Emerald Coast, I’m enjoying my time at Laughlin. I know everybody is different but I just find it comical that the military has found a way to make flying explosive-laden fast jets less appealing than hauling around 200 selfish individuals in a slower metal tube. 

Edit: yes, I volunteered to go to DLF. 

Why volunteer to go to DLF when I can go to the Guard and fly my explosive-laden fast jet while also hauling terrible people from point A to point B while my family can finally have some stability. Bonus points, I don’t have to deal with AD

• Like 1