So I have a package in with the AD Officer board and I really want to chase the manned pilot position but am not sure I can lock down pilot. If allowable, I would decline any other position and press for an ANG unit (wouldn't be eligible for AFRC). Guard has been becoming more and more appealing to me. I have a couple of questions:

1) Is it worth it to go for an instrument / multi rating? (I already have my PPL)

2) How much did your PCSM help in an interview? (99 PSCM, 98 Pilot)

3) I will be putting on 0-2 in June (2 of 4 yr commitment finished) and am curious how the timeline works going from AD to Guard. Can I even apply to current slots? How would it curtail to my current commitment?

4) How important art the visiting day's before an interview? I am OCONUS and it would be hard to make a weekend.

Thanks!

So I have a package in with the AD Officer board and I really want to chase the manned pilot position but am not sure I can lock down pilot. If allowable, I would decline any other position and press for an ANG unit (wouldn't be eligible for AFRC). Guard has been becoming more and more appealing to me. I have a couple of questions:
1) Is it worth it to go for an instrument / multi rating? (I already have my PPL)
2) How much did your PCSM help in an interview? (99 PSCM, 98 Pilot)
3) I will be putting on 0-2 in June (2 of 4 yr commitment finished) and am curious how the timeline works going from AD to Guard. Can I even apply to current slots? How would it curtail to my current commitment?
4) How important art the visiting day's before an interview? I am OCONUS and it would be hard to make a weekend.
Thanks!

1) Not crucial. But it could only help.

2) 85+ PCSM/AFOQT will get you in the envelope for interviews with fighter units. Not sure what the competitive mark is for other A/C. 70+ I imagine.

3) Can’t speak for this one. 1-2 years from board to UPT for an off the street hire. Unsure for someone from AD.

4) Critically important, but probably some leeway if you are OCONUS.

If you can't get a pilot slot in AD, why do you think you could get one in the ANG?  AD is dying for pilots right now; ANG units turn people down all the time.  The bigger challenge is the ANG pilot slot by far. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hopful_guy, you can palace chase at 2/3rds of your commitment if you
didnt commission though USAFA.

Evil Eagle,

I am in a similiar boat as hopeful_guy.  I am an 0-2 and I have
applied multiple times to AD UPT board with no luck and have expanded
my search to guard/reserve units. I have 80 PCSM and 85 pilot, should
I retake the AFOQT to increase those scores? My pilot score was a 90
but went down to 85 when the new version of the AFOQT came out.  I
have a PPL with 75 hours, working on complex/high performace
endorsement now. I have a current TS/SCI.  I also have a Flying Class
1 physical approved by AETC.

My commander is currently a F-35 pilot (WIC instructor too) and he doesnt know what else I
should do to get picked up for UPT on AD side or the guard side,
except to keep trying.

On 2/27/2018 at 4:11 PM, JudyJudy said:

Evil Eagle,

My commander is currently a F-35 pilot (WIC instructor too) and he doesnt know what else I
except to keep trying.

I was in a similar boat boss. I went 0 for 2 officially and like 0 for 6 lifetime while on AD with similar numbers.

go reserve/guard. I’ve found having a commission with the TS, FC1, leadership etc. gets u to the front of the line more often than not (right behind already rated dudes). Started applying/rushing in Oct17 and have been 4 for 4 with the unit reaching back to me for a meet n greet invite/interview invite/follow up questions...

if you can get your unit to send you to all the necessary SERE courses that just boosts your resume being a cheaper alternative for whatever unit picks u up.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 4:11 PM, JudyJudy said:

Evil Eagle,

except to keep trying.

Your scores are average; depending on what type of unit you are looking to get into it might be worth re-taking.  Most of the guys that apply at my unit have mid-high 90's across the board.  The flying time is good, but don't break the bank trying to build hours in a SEL (IMO it's not worth it). If you go for an ANG unit, I HIGHLY recommend visiting a few times to try to get in the interview pool. 

Good luck. 

14 hours ago, EvilEagle said:

Your scores are average; depending on what type of unit you are looking to get into it might be worth re-taking.  Most of the guys that apply at my unit have mid-high 90's across the board.  The flying time is good, but don't break the bank trying to build hours in a SEL (IMO it's not worth it). If you go for an ANG unit, I HIGHLY recommend visiting a few times to try to get in the interview pool. 

Good luck. 

Thanks for the honest feed back EvilEagle. I am studying to retake the AFOQT, the first I took it was in college at the end of the semester during finals. I’m 100 percent confident I will do better and that my pilot and PCSM scores will increase. I will also fly a few more hours to bump into the 81-99 flight hour category, that alone will give me a 4 point bump on my PCSM.