Wing Re-Org Test

Weezer

On 2/15/2018 at 9:26 AM, Weezer said:

Interesting things going on at MHAB...

366 FW A-Staff.jpg

So, if functions are pulled to A-staff if they support multiple sqs across the wing, why is there still a comm sq instead of straight A6?  Barring cyber, doesn't that (and most of the other MSG functions) belong under that umbrella?

Edited by HU&W

15 hours ago, HU&W said:

So, if functions are pulled to A-staff if they support multiple sqs across the wing, why is there still a comm sq instead of straight A6?  Barring cyber, doesn't that (and most of the other MSG functions) belong under that umbrella?

So, if this goes the way of the Comm Sq Next, or Comm Sq-Initiative, or whatever else we're seeing getting pushed (without funding, training or manning btw) then it's possible.  They'll have teams there to get after and defend mission systems with the core Comm functions dwindling or getting contracted out.

I *think* that nesting a current Comm Sq into the A6 would be a poor function move and not provide what theyr'e looking for.  If the A6 picked up Cellphone/Telephone Management, Records Management, Information Assurance, Program/Project Planning...all those pain in the ass Add'l Duties the CS gets and the Comm/Cyber Sq just gets to work on getting your computer working and defending the domain.

Man, having my guys worry about getting workstations patched/hunting threats, and not having to worry about filling out an Excel spreadsheet to re-do the Adobe Acrobat accreditation...would be fantastic.  But we all know it'll move to the A-staff, but they'll need almost complete products to forward, so our guys will keep doing the actual work.

16 hours ago, HU&W said:

See "not operationally focused within squadron."  Examples of A-staff functions are the antiterrorism office from SFS and real property officer from CES.  They may functionally fit under that Squadron's umbrella, but don't work day-to-day with the rest of that squadron as much (obviously up for debate).  CS has troops who go and do "comm stuff," like CE has plumbers, and SFS has gate guards.  An A-staff doesn't "do" things, they staff stuff, advise, etc.  So, some part of comm may move under the A-staff, but the day to day dudes who defend the network or whatever won't.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

So, if this goes the way of the Comm Sq Next, or Comm Sq-Initiative, or whatever else we're seeing getting pushed (without funding, training or manning btw) then it's possible.  They'll have teams there to get after and defend mission systems with the core Comm functions dwindling or getting contracted out.

I *think* that nesting a current Comm Sq into the A6 would be a poor function move and not provide what theyr'e looking for.  If the A6 picked up Cellphone/Telephone Management, Records Management, Information Assurance, Program/Project Planning...all those pain in the ass Add'l Duties the CS gets and the Comm/Cyber Sq just gets to work on getting your computer working and defending the domain.

Man, having my guys worry about getting workstations patched/hunting threats, and not having to worry about filling out an Excel spreadsheet to re-do the Adobe Acrobat accreditation...would be fantastic.  But we all know it'll move to the A-staff, but they'll need almost complete products to forward, so our guys will keep doing the actual work.

That's where I see this going.  Squadrons continuing to do the work to prove that they need the MAJCOM to do these functions, except now squadrons will no longer have the ability to "just make it happen" and will be dependent on a staffing process that will take a significant amount of time.

Add that to the fact that the RSAP is depleting bodies from the staff (for better or worse), so the staffs don't have the manpower to do all the things this seems to be pushing onto them.

6 hours ago, pawnman said:

That's where I see this going.  Squadrons continuing to do the work to prove that they need the MAJCOM to do these functions, except now squadrons will no longer have the ability to "just make it happen" and will be dependent on a staffing process that will take a significant amount of time.

Add that to the fact that the RSAP is depleting bodies from the staff (for better or worse), so the staffs don't have the manpower to do all the things this seems to be pushing onto them.

I guess my post wasn’t clear...this is the wing-level A-staff, not the NAF or MAJCOM.

On 2/21/2018 at 10:25 AM, Weezer said:

Here are the proposed functions going on the A-staff.  Looks like FSS is now just MPF and Services.

A-staff Functions.jpg

So then.. almost nothing for the Comm Squadrons to shed.  Cool...keep shitting on us, I'm sure support will only get better.

5 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

So then.. almost nothing for the Comm Squadrons to shed.  Cool...keep shitting on us, I'm sure support will only get better.

It’s not a cut drill...they’re not losing manpower (except for group leadership...which is just morphing into the deputies/A-staff).  If the functions were pulled up to the staff, you actually would lose bodies.  The “improvement” is supposed to be process related, not shedding work or gaining manpower.