ClearedHot

Pilot Shortage Deepens, USAF is SCREWED.

1 hour ago, RTB said:

Did you read that to mean 1/3 of those eligible to separate or retire actually did, or 1/3 of the total fighter pilot population left?   I could't find the data on that...

The report worded it to say 1/3 of the entire population.  Further 65% of eligibles have declined the bonus.

6 hours ago, Gunnermcjack said:

"GAO recommends that the Air Force, the Navy, and the Marine Corps reevaluate fighter pilot squadron requirements. DOD concurred with the recommendations"

Can't meet the mins? Lower the bar! Reduction in authorized billets coming to a squadron near you! 

For this the report mentioned the admin duties and other work that's been given to pilots, not your actual job.  The one page is rather daming, not sure if the rest of the 69 is worth the look.

Let me know when SECAF starts holding some former 3 & 4-stars accountable...

• Upvote 1

Interesting tid bit from the GAO report:

"Air Force officials added that during that period, Air Force fighter pilot gaps were generally limited to non-operational positions, such as staff assignments at Air Force headquarters or combatant commands. However, our analysis found that the Air Force has been unable to fully staff operational positions since fiscal year 2014."

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, RTB said:

Interesting tid bit from the GAO report:

"Air Force officials added that during that period, Air Force fighter pilot gaps were generally limited to non-operational positions, such as staff assignments at Air Force headquarters or combatant commands. However, our analysis found that the Air Force has been unable to fully staff operational positions since fiscal year 2014."

I guess it depends how you define "operational positions".  For example, our FTU couldn't get in on the civilian hiring wave because the FTU isn't an "operational squadron".  

15 hours ago, Champ Kind said:

2006 commissioning year group? Filling squadron cc billets?

Seems like they'd be ripe in about 2 years, no?

Seems like they'd be ripe in about 2 years, no?

BPZers, maybe. But even then that seems a year or two early to actually assume command. That’s been my experience in the MAF at least. But, I’m also hearing that the leadership bench is pretty shallow, so this shouldn’t surprise me.

52 minutes ago, Champ Kind said:

BPZers, maybe. But even then that seems a year or two early to actually assume command. That’s been my experience in the MAF at least. But, I’m also hearing that the leadership bench is pretty shallow, so this shouldn’t surprise me.

Are fighter SQ/CCs not all 2 BPZ like in the B-1?  Is ours more competitive because there are only 3 ops, 1 FTU, and 2 OSS slots available?

Are fighter SQ/CCs not all 2 BPZ like in the B-1?  Is ours more competitive because there are only 3 ops, 1 FTU, and 2 OSS slots available?

I can say where I am one of two T6 commanders is a 2-below. The other is a 1-below. Old OSS CC was on time but I think the new one is a 1-below.

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:04 AM, ClearedHot said:

The GAO is out with a new report sounding the alarm of the Fighter Pilot shortage across DoD.  Fully 1/4 of all Fighter Pilot billets are now empty.  There were some interesting gems in the report like how the Navy tried to normalize some of the shortages by EXTENDING deployments.  Also, over the past four years over 1/3 of the USAF's Fighter Pilots have elected to leave the service.

In the Marine Corps Hornet community there are single and two-seat squadrons. Our East Coast Hornets and now all going to composite single and two seat squadrons. This is not occurring because of a better way to manage flight time on the few flyable airframes, but simple because there are not enough company grade officers to fill all of the ground billets so WSOs are now going to squadrons where there will likely be no jets for them to maintain currency simply to do ground duties. 

Picked up my DD-214 this morning. 

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, VMFA187 said:

Congrats and thank you for your service.  Semper Fi.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Congrats and thank you for your service.  Semper Fi.

I second. Thanks for raising your hand. Best of luck in the future.

20 hours ago, VMFA187 said:

....so WSOs are now going to squadrons where there will likely be no jets for them to maintain currency simply to do ground duties. 

I really want to know what idiot comes up with this idea and then what admiral signed off on this. 

Also congrats and best of luck.

20 hours ago, VMFA187 said:

In the Marine Corps Hornet community there are single and two-seat squadrons.

Curious.  Do the single seat aircraft do the same mission as the two seaters (and what are those missions)?  Do I understand correctly that the jets are assigned to the same squadron?  Do pilots fly a single seater one day and a two seater (with WSO, RIO, whatever) the next day?

22 hours ago, VMFA187 said:

Congrats!  What's your plan?

1 hour ago, JeremiahWeed said:

Curious.  Do the single seat aircraft do the same mission as the two seaters (and what are those missions)?  Do I understand correctly that the jets are assigned to the same squadron?  Do pilots fly a single seater one day and a two seater (with WSO, RIO, whatever) the next day?

Tick off scheduling, end up in the family model every flight. Sounds terrible. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

Tick off scheduling, end up in the family model every flight. Sounds terrible. 

Send the WSO to go call the crew van on his 02 mask tester in life support and step without him?  :aviator:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, JeremiahWeed said:

4 hours ago, RTB said:

Congrats!  What's your plan?

Two seat Hornets conduct FAC(A), all other missions are shared. OCA, DCA, CAS, SCAR/AR, and AI. Yes, both single and two seat jets will be assigned to a single squadron. Yes, I believe that is how it will go - Depending on what jets maintenance has up will determine if WSOs go flying. All USMC Hornet pilots go through the RAG (FTU) as single seat pilots. Once they get to a fleet squadron (whichever squadron needs a new pilot) determines if they then fly in a single or two seat Hornet. A pilot can transition back and forth between single and two seat squadrons as his career progresses. That’s how it has been traditionally.

RTB, I’m looking at federal law enforcement. Was incredibly interested in Guard fighter units as a Hornet IP but had a medical hiccup 1.5 years ago that might put that in question.

Does going back and forth between single and two seat jets cause any CRM issues?  I know the Strike bros speak highly of a good WSO (and equally bad about bad ones).  I'm just wondering if there is any difficulty for the pilots when they deal with the WSO/NFO.

It’s not as bad as you think because all pilots are trained to be single seat and all the jets are mech’d the same - You can safe the back seat and do the entire flight in a two-seat Delta safe’d up.

We always conduct a 3-5 minute TCC brief if we’re flying with a WSO to hammer out responsibilities. Bottom line, a great WSO can be an immense help in a complex CAS or AI environment but an average or poor WSO will be a significant degradation to SA at all times. For A/A, I don’t think even a great WSO provides an added benefit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VMFA187 said:

For A/A, I don’t think even a great WSO provides an added benefit.

Goose does not approve

Goose.jpg

• Like 6

9 hours ago, FlyArmy said:

Goose does not approve

Say what you will, and perhaps you’re a better pilot than I. My SA is degraded and my recall is less accurate when I’m not operating all of our displays and systems exclusively and the one issuing targeting.

But I always appreciate a solid TG reference!

15 hours ago, VMFA187 said:

It’s not as bad as you think because all pilots are trained to be single seat and all the jets are mech’d the same - You can safe the back seat and do the entire flight in a two-seat Delta safe’d up.

For A/A, I don’t think even a great WSO provides an added benefit.

Annnnnnnd that right there, ladies and gentlemen says it all in a nut-shell!!!

Single seat A/A - sport of kings.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JeremiahWeed said:

Annnnnnnd that right there, ladies and gentlemen says it all in a nut-shell!!!

Single seat A/A - sport of kings.

Nothing like coming in for the 500kt break after doing a 4vX with three of your best friends against PL-12 shooters!

• Like 1