Pilot Shortage Deepens, USAF is SCREWED.

ClearedHot

Stitch,

I'd have him check out the following site. For a married O-2 at Vance AFB the annual salary showed like $55K without flight pay. 

http://militarypay.defense.gov/Calculators/RMC-Calculator/

And for reference at 12 years in as a major with flight pay you make about $120K. Often at that point you're either paid to leave or offered a bonus which is currently around $25K to $35K a year to stay in which can vary from around 5 to 9 years depending the Air Force's needs. 

Edited by Lifer

Stitch,  sounds like the young man in question should dump the current wife and find a more attractive one that supports his dreams of living dangerously.  Alternatively, keep current wife and allow her to maintain the fiction that he makes only 650$ a month.  It’s all technique.  Good luck!

Edited by tac airlifter
COA 2 added.
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/13/2018 at 5:50 AM, HossHarris said:

Getting into the check-of-the-month club makes a lot of follow on decisions much much easier. 

Recommend. 

True, but having a low seniority number at a legacy airline makes life much easier too. Every time I see a guy break down the math of staying vs. going, they always come out much farther ahead by getting out ASAP.

Like investing, you go with the risk you can tolerate.

1 minute ago, joe1234 said:

True, but having a low seniority number at a legacy airline makes life much easier too. Every time I see a guy break down the math of staying vs. going, they always come out much farther ahead by getting out ASAP.

Your retirement check will never be furloughed, fired, lose it’s medical, or merged with another company.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, HossHarris said:

Your retirement check will never be furloughed, fired, lose it’s medical, or merged with another company.....

You sure about that?

But also, it won't get you in the left seat of a widebody making 350k+/year for 10+ years.

Again, some people can stomach the risk and some can't. Do what's best for you and yours.

31 minutes ago, HossHarris said:

Just reduced by the amount your VA payment is, for most people.

Most of you didn't know that one did ya.

Edited by matmacwc

1 hour ago, tac airlifter said:

Stitch,  sounds like the young man in question should dump the current wife and find a more attractive one that supports his dreams of living dangerously.  Alternatively, keep current wife and allow her to maintain the fiction that he makes only 650$ a month.  It’s all technique.  Good luck!

That's what allotments are for, right?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, joe1234 said:

Seniority is everything at an airline as long as you are actually working.  I remember a bunch of guys back in the late 90's crunching the numbers in the squadron and the math then, like now, clearly said GET OUT NOW!!!  Many did, most were promptly hired, almost all were quickly furloughed, and were then begging for a job.  At any time, anything can happen to dramatically change the landscape.  In 1998, you COULD NOT LOSE by going to an airline!  The math ALWAYS came out ahead by getting out ASAP...until there wasn't a job.

1 hour ago, BashiChuni said:

I don’t know if the airlines were facing the same mandatory retirement numbers for the next 10+ years in 1999.....

maybe they were. Old timers?

Valid point.  But at Delta at least, we have been steadily hiring WAY more per year than even our peak year will see in retirements.  

2 hours ago, MooseAg03 said:

With $21 Trillion in debt and interest rates held artificially low for such a long time, I’m not sure I’d bank on any pension backed by the government as fool proof.

When they come for the military pension we’ll have bigger problems I think. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, MooseAg03 said:

With $21 Trillion in debt and interest rates held artificially low for such a long time, I’m not sure I’d bank on any pension backed by the government as fool proof.

Any Congressman who even mildly suggests revoking military pensions would be committing political suicide for their career.  Then the focus would turn to their pensions and it would become a mess.

54 minutes ago, Azimuth said:

Any Congressman who even mildly suggests revoking military pensions would be committing political suicide for their career.  Then the focus would turn to their pensions and it would become a mess.

They cut it back in 12 I think it was.  For "working age" military retirees they lopped the COLA.  One time catch up at 65.  It passed as part of a larger bill.  Saw Ryan give many a speech in defense of it.

Was eventually repealed, but they've done it once.

I won’t doubt the check of the month club padding is nice but in this given situation, the force retirements/mass hiring just to fill seats (not necessarily grow). I’d say you have just enough furlough protection with the numbers being hired behind you if your an early 2020s hire. About the same certainty that the gov isn’t going to chip away at your retirement. 

On 5/17/2018 at 12:54 AM, Homestar said:

When they come for the military pension we’ll have bigger problems I think. 

On 5/17/2018 at 9:28 AM, Azimuth said:

“We can guarantee cash benefits as far out and at whatever size you like, but we can not guarantee their purchasing power.”

-Alan Greenspan

• Upvote 2

On 5/16/2018 at 10:49 PM, MooseAg03 said:

Well thank the good lord I’m getting an extra few grand back over the next 5-7 years from this tax cut...  

On 5/17/2018 at 9:50 AM, joe1234 said:

They won't revoke it all at once. They'll chip at it little by little, along with Tricare to the point where it becomes imperceptible to the general public.

I'll be very surprised if Tricare is still there when I hit 60 (part timer retirement)...at least in anywhere near it's current form.  I'm fairly confident the pension will be there, although they may have long stopped yearly COLAs by the time I get there.  Like social security, when I run my retirement numbers, I assume it wont be there.  If they happen to be there, all the better.