Pilot Shortage Deepens, USAF is SCREWED.

ClearedHot

I’ve read the official policy. I sent it to JQP before it was even widely known. I’ve also talked to the people who do the sourcing so I trust what I know.

A 45 day deployment does not trump a STRD all other things equal.

Alright. Enjoy your perceived STRD blanket until it dissolves when you get a 365 earlier than expected.

Alright. Enjoy your perceived STRD blanket until it dissolves when you get a 365 earlier than expected.

1687989f767376133a8470ecdbdd3e1e.jpg

6 hours ago, MDDieselPilot said:

Do you actually have 5 short tours?  In the communities I've been a part of, that is highly uncommon.  I'd be shocked if someone with that many ST's got tagged with a 365 at any point in their career.  Perhaps I'm missing something though...

This guy has 3 short tours under the belt. Functional told me I'm butt naked last and will never receive a 365! 

13 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

Wait...this can actually happen?  Everything I've seen (non-pilot) when someone does that it's a quick out the door.

When the stack is only 15 deep against 20 requirements...yes it can.

Also, watched AFPC get rid of 9 rated guys (my friend was #9, which is how I found out) by giving them AFPAK HANDS as their next PCS a few years ago.  All 9 separated or retired instead of taking it.  Rumor has it they finally pinned the rose on a guy that had already volunteered.  Rumor also holds that the AFPC functionals are sometimes directed to use bad assignments like that as "force management tool".  I have strong doubts about the truth behind those rumors, but finding them true wouldn't shock me either.

"Integrity First"

Edited by FourFans130
words

1687989f767376133a8470ecdbdd3e1e.jpg
Well, this puts another point in the "get out" column for me. Bust my butt as a young single dude to get a short tour so when I'm ready to start a family I won't have the threat of a 365, only to have that taken away. Follow that with an AETC assignment and an attached flyer assignment, and now I'm hot for a 365. Only so I can probably go to staff next assignment.

Time to start updating my airline apps again...
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The doc IHTFP posted certainly reads like deployments within last 5 years trumps # of short tours. Seems like they’re saying “yeah, but what have you done for me lately?”

40 minutes ago, pcola said:

The doc IHTFP posted certainly reads like deployments within last 5 years trumps # of short tours. Seems like they’re saying “yeah, but what have you done for me lately?”

On the other hand, it means even a two-month deployment will be enough to keep you out of the 365 WEZ for five years.

Do y'all really think if they want (not need) a C-17 EP Safety guy for a 365, and all of the eligibles have deployed for 46 days in the last 5 years, they're going to tell COCOM, "Sorry, Boss, you're going to have to learn to live without."?  You're not out of any WEZ!

This may postpone your 365 for a cycle, but it by no means changes anything.  They just call it "short notice" and they can use "current timelines and processes."

Edited by nunya
  • Upvote 1

What part of “include short tours and rotational deployments” is not clear?

Fear. There are probably one third the number of 365 advisor positions now than when I went in 2012 but the fear of a 365 is easily three times higher among people who most likely will never experience a 365. It’s irrational and I don’t understand it. 

• Like 1

Guys at IFF with viper B-Course at Kelly scheduled for August are getting notified that they'e being kicked out and going to Holloman to make room for upt next kids. 

Holloman isn't backed up right? 

Anyone know if the UPT next kids have started yet? 

1 hour ago, Boomer6 said:

Guys at IFF with viper B-Course at Kelly scheduled for August are getting notified that they'e being kicked out and going to Holloman to make room for upt next kids. 

Holloman isn't backed up right? 

Anyone know if the UPT next kids have started yet? 

they started around feb

2 hours ago, Azimuth said:

Such bullshit that this article was even written or that charges were filed.  The alleged victim, who made the allegations, is his soon to be ex-wife who, until a couple days ago, was fighting a losing battle for custody.  Sad and disgusting that a dude's name is dragged through the mud before any of the facts of the case come to light. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RTB said:

Such bullshit that this article was even written or that charges were filed.  The alleged victim, who made the allegations, is his soon to be ex-wife who, until a couple days ago, was fighting a losing battle for custody.  Sad and disgusting that a dude's name is dragged through the mud before any of the facts of the case come to light. 

This is my shocked face at the shoot, then aim mentality the military always takes in these cases.  Don't worry, if it turns out to be unfounded, they'll be sure to print the retraction on the bottom right corner of the back page of the AF times...and his career will still be ruined.  

2 hours ago, RTB said:

The most serious charge against Costello alleges that he raped a sleeping woman in 2014.” 

Bullshit. Married man came home and was feeling frisky, so he made a strategic move on his wife and was successful. End of allegation. 

Edited by Hopefulflyer389

3 hours ago, Boomer6 said:

I mean the course in Austin called UPT next/pilot training next where they only do sims and fly a T6. 

Pilot Training Next

Oh god, I got a call from the poor bro that they tasked with setting that up.  He got my info and gave me a call asking all kinds of network questions--bad ones.  Took me a sec and I asked if he was a comm/cyber guy and he said "no, I'm a pilot" but someone had just told him "get it set up."

I commiserated with him and told him to call AETC A6 and get some frigging help.  Random pilot dude ain't gonna be able to run that through solo at a location without any infrastructure.

4 hours ago, SocialD said:

This is my shocked face at the shoot, then aim mentality the military always takes in these cases.  Don't worry, if it turns out to be unfounded, they'll be sure to print the retraction on the bottom right corner of the back page of the AF times...and his career will still be ruined.  

Without seeing the charge sheet, and from what was reported, he sounds fucked. The rape/sex assault charges will walk him into a court martial, however military justice uses Lesser Included Offenses (LIO’s) a lot. That’s where another charge, that’s not originally charged, is found to be considered by the panel or judge, but cause the terminal element of the LIO is in the original charge.

Example: Government charged him with rape (Art 120). A terminal element of rape is to use force or fear. Panel or jury find he wasn’t guilty of rape because of lack of force or fear, but that he did physically assault her, so now they find him guilty of Assault Consummated by a Battery (Art 128). His odds of going to prison are extremely high due to the charged crimes. And they’ll throw in all the catch all’s like Conduct Unbecoming (Art 133). 

If he’s sentenced to a dismissal, that’s the officer version of a diahonorable discharge. If he isn’t sentenced to a dismissal, he’ll go to a Board if Inquiry a few months later and the Government will use his court martial conviction, as trivial as Conduct Unbecoming, against him to have him separated. If he’s over 20-years, he’ll only be allowed to retire if SECAF approves it, and it probably wouldn’t be at the O-6 rank.

The military justice system has ruined a lot of lives because of the politics. And if you don’t think this kind of stuff will never happen to you, all it takes is one false allegation. 

Edited by Azimuth
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2