Pilot Shortage Deepens, USAF is SCREWED.

ClearedHot

10 hours ago, matmacwc said:

I’ve heard some of the young ADAIR guys getting screwed, never give up the Grey jet

How did they get screwed?  And what follow on tours are generally available to young ADAIR pilots?

Unless something changed recently, Adair Lts know their follow on .... usually a raptor. 

They may screw themselves (washout of b course) but I havent Heard of any institutional screwing. 

Longterm career effects similar to faiping id imagine .... but yet to be seen. 

29 minutes ago, HossHarris said:

Unless something changed recently, Adair Lts know their follow on .... usually a raptor. 

They may screw themselves (washout of b course) but I havent Heard of any institutional screwing. 

Plus Danger said it might try to kill your mom

7 hours ago, HossHarris said:

The official guidance on this has changed very recently - like in the last couple weeks. Studs assigned to ADAIR will now complete the F-15E track in IFF (not the F-22 track), and will be "assigned IAW the needs of AFPC". The email traffic made it clear that UPT to ADAIR assignments aren't a guaranteed F-22 follow on.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Merle Dixon said:

Hello,

To all of my AF Reserve TR brothers and sisters...

My squadron has a policy, once you are in your 20th year and you have 50 points, you do not have to work your last 6 to 8 months before retirement. You do have to show up for the mandatory UTAs once a quarter or once per half (we now have MUTAs only twice per year). Well, we had a douche nozzle CC a few years ago that tried to rescind that policy. He wanted guys to fully participate until their retirement date. So, two of my bros called AFRPC and spoke with a SMSgt. The SMSgt informed them that legally, once a member is in her/his 20th year and has accumulated 50 points, he/she no longer has to participate. Your squadron/unit is unable to force you to participate any further. The SMSgt said the only recourse the squadron has, if you refuse to participate, is that they can submit paperwork to place you into the IRR. Well, by the time the squadron gins up the IRR paperwork and submits it to the group, which submits it to the numbered AF, which submits it to AFRPC, which runs it through the wickets, 8 months or more just went by. So, the SMSgt said basically there is absolutely nothing your squadron can do to compel you to work your last 6 to 8 months (6 to 9 if you like :) ).

My bros had a meeting with the douche Sq/CC and told him this. They told douche that they retire in 7 months, they already picked up a copy of their FEFs, a copy of their flight records and a copy of their med records, been nice knowing ya, adios! He huffed and puffed and got his g-string panties in a wad. The douche made a bunch of phone calls and guess what, the SMSgt was correct. There was absolutely nothing douche could do about it. Here is a surprise, the no work your last 6 to 8 months policy returned.

So, any of you stuck in the BS AFRC stop-loss/no retirement/AFRC has zero integrity/mess, and you have 20 or more years of service and you have at least 50 points for your current year, tell your unit to pound sand. You are free. Braveheart William Wallace style, yell it dawg, FREEDOM!!

Merle

That's aggressive advice for a first time poster...source documentation?

8 hours ago, Merle Dixon said:

No stoner, did you read my post? As a RESERVIST, once you are in your 20th year of service AND you have earned 50 points, you no longer have to work. You have earned your required 20 years of service. If you choose not to work anymore once you have earned your final 50 points, of course you will no longer get paid.

Know the rules.  Work hard.  Don't be a douche.  The rule-BFM tactic you're advocating violates the latter.

All that is required for a part timer to get a good year is 50 points (you get 15 for just being in).  This is exactly what I would do if I were in my final year and AFRC/ANG tried to play these "annual" mickey mouse games of a blanket stop loss.  A while back, this used to be a fairly common practice with the soon to be retired guys.  No one saw it as douchery, just standard and expected.  I expect that this will become a fairly common tactic once again.  With the addition of the AD guys into the squadron (and their added sortie requirements), it will likely be welcomed by scheduling as we can barely get guys RAP as it is.  

Having said that, I wouldn't recommend the "Braveheart" approach unless you really have leadership that deserves it.  LOL.

EDIT:  Remembering JADEDs posts a few pages back, this is what I would do if I were him.  

Edited by SocialD
  • Like 1

From the T-6 OBOGS thread, ramping up production isn't going to happen until the OBOGS is fixed (even though it sounds like they'll just ignore it for the time being)...and retention is clearly not a goal judging by the Bonus thread...all with Iran, Syria, Russia and the rest of the world continuing to catch on fire, making American airpower an increasingly hot commodity over the next decade...

Is anyone at the staff correlating these events and their impacts?

Is anyone up there seeing this structural fire?

15 hours ago, FourFans130 said:

Pentagon - Closed for training day until 2020

AFPC - Open 1500-1530; Closed - Any other time you need us. 

Oh, and the servers for AF Portal and LeaveWeb are down. Enjoy your 4 day Memorial weekend.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

15 hours ago, FourFans130 said:

From the T-6 OBOGS thread, ramping up production isn't going to happen until the OBOGS is fixed (even though it sounds like they'll just ignore it for the time being)...and retention is clearly not a goal judging by the Bonus thread...all with Iran, Syria, Russia and the rest of the world continuing to catch on fire, making American airpower an increasingly hot commodity over the next decade...

You would think, but we have in fact ramped up production through syllabus cuts, maintaining break neck lines per day (much more emergency returns recently than is generally expected), leadership encouraged PA's, as well as waiving multiple sorties in current classes until the new and "improved" (shorter) syllabus is fully in swing.  OBOGs be damne'd the machine carries on.   Side note old timers should be happy, we are using paper gradebooks again for our new syllabus until TIMs can be whipped into compliance (it too is rebelling, yay Timmy!)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DirtyFlightSuit said:

You would think, but we have in fact ramped up production through syllabus cuts, maintaining break neck lines per day (much more emergency returns recently than is generally expected), leadership encouraged PA's, as well as waiving multiple sorties in current classes until the new and "improved" (shorter) syllabus is fully in swing.  OBOGs be damne'd the machine carries on.   Side note old timers should be happy, we are using paper gradebooks again for our new syllabus until TIMs can be whipped into compliance (it too is rebelling, yay Timmy!)

Who needs training when you can graduate them sooner?

2 hours ago, DirtyFlightSuit said:

Yeah, no way this leads to more accidents down the road.  Jam pack everyone through to make the slides at HAF look green. 

SocialD,

im pretty sure there’s a memo that stated something to the effect of “AD pilots in a TFI assignment are authorized for reduced sortie requirements that match their ANG/ARC counterparts”.

so the flush of wingman get 8 sorties. The non-existent second tour guys get 6. Some  unit leadership (ours) doesn’t want to look bad in front of ACC and is pressing to get them all 10 so “they don’t get left behind their peers”.

Now the guard members fly 6, and that includes 2-3 tankers. 

Enxoueage your leadership to find (Guard WEPTAC has it) and execute that letter.

3 hours ago, Steamed Diaper said:

Since there is a huge pilot shortage, I have a better chance of becoming a pilot in Active Duty or the Guard/Reserves?

Yes, and I highly recommend choosing the Guard/Reserves over active duty. 

3 hours ago, Steamed Diaper said:

Since there is a huge pilot shortage, I have a better chance of becoming a pilot in Active Duty or the Guard/Reserves?

There's no shortage of people applying to be pilots.

What’s Driving the U.S. Air Force Pilot Shortage?

http://foreignpolicy.com/2018/05/04/whats-driving-the-u-s-air-force-pilot-shortage/amp/

Navy pilot Lt. Jack McCain claims that Air Force pilots “are not provided the opportunity for meaningful leader development.” If this is your boy, please tell him to STFU. He isn't helping.

Edited by HarleyQuinn
  • Like 1

What’s Driving the U.S. Air Force Pilot Shortage?

http://foreignpolicy.com/2018/05/04/whats-driving-the-u-s-air-force-pilot-shortage/amp/

Navy pilot Lt. Jack McCain claims that Air Force pilots “are not provided the opportunity for meaningful leader development.” If this is your boy, please tell him to STFU. He isn't helping.

O-4s: “we are leaving at the end of our commitment.”

AF Leadership: “Say no more, let’s ask the Navy Lt why AF O-4s are leaving”

Seems about right to me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Duck said:

O-4s: “we are leaving at the end of our commitment.”

AF Leadership: “Say no more, let’s ask the Navy Lt why AF O-4s are leaving”

Seems about right to me.

I think the Lt was saying we want more PME. A good old blanket party is what the Lt needs and it worked wonders for Pvt Gomer Pyle in the movie Full Metal Jacket.

Edited by HarleyQuinn