Pilot Shortage Deepens, USAF is SCREWED.

ClearedHot

Are fighter SQ/CCs not all 2 BPZ like in the B-1?  Is ours more competitive because there are only 3 ops, 1 FTU, and 2 OSS slots available?

I can say where I am one of two T6 commanders is a 2-below. The other is a 1-below. Old OSS CC was on time but I think the new one is a 1-below.

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:04 AM, ClearedHot said:

The GAO is out with a new report sounding the alarm of the Fighter Pilot shortage across DoD.  Fully 1/4 of all Fighter Pilot billets are now empty.  There were some interesting gems in the report like how the Navy tried to normalize some of the shortages by EXTENDING deployments.  Also, over the past four years over 1/3 of the USAF's Fighter Pilots have elected to leave the service.

In the Marine Corps Hornet community there are single and two-seat squadrons. Our East Coast Hornets and now all going to composite single and two seat squadrons. This is not occurring because of a better way to manage flight time on the few flyable airframes, but simple because there are not enough company grade officers to fill all of the ground billets so WSOs are now going to squadrons where there will likely be no jets for them to maintain currency simply to do ground duties. 

Picked up my DD-214 this morning. 

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

20 hours ago, VMFA187 said:

....so WSOs are now going to squadrons where there will likely be no jets for them to maintain currency simply to do ground duties. 

Picked up my DD-214 this morning. 

I really want to know what idiot comes up with this idea and then what admiral signed off on this. 

Also congrats and best of luck.

20 hours ago, VMFA187 said:

In the Marine Corps Hornet community there are single and two-seat squadrons.

Curious.  Do the single seat aircraft do the same mission as the two seaters (and what are those missions)?  Do I understand correctly that the jets are assigned to the same squadron?  Do pilots fly a single seater one day and a two seater (with WSO, RIO, whatever) the next day?

1 hour ago, JeremiahWeed said:

Curious.  Do the single seat aircraft do the same mission as the two seaters (and what are those missions)?  Do I understand correctly that the jets are assigned to the same squadron?  Do pilots fly a single seater one day and a two seater (with WSO, RIO, whatever) the next day?

Tick off scheduling, end up in the family model every flight. Sounds terrible. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JeremiahWeed said:

4 hours ago, RTB said:

Congrats!  What's your plan?

Two seat Hornets conduct FAC(A), all other missions are shared. OCA, DCA, CAS, SCAR/AR, and AI. Yes, both single and two seat jets will be assigned to a single squadron. Yes, I believe that is how it will go - Depending on what jets maintenance has up will determine if WSOs go flying. All USMC Hornet pilots go through the RAG (FTU) as single seat pilots. Once they get to a fleet squadron (whichever squadron needs a new pilot) determines if they then fly in a single or two seat Hornet. A pilot can transition back and forth between single and two seat squadrons as his career progresses. That’s how it has been traditionally.

RTB, I’m looking at federal law enforcement. Was incredibly interested in Guard fighter units as a Hornet IP but had a medical hiccup 1.5 years ago that might put that in question.

Does going back and forth between single and two seat jets cause any CRM issues?  I know the Strike bros speak highly of a good WSO (and equally bad about bad ones).  I'm just wondering if there is any difficulty for the pilots when they deal with the WSO/NFO.

It’s not as bad as you think because all pilots are trained to be single seat and all the jets are mech’d the same - You can safe the back seat and do the entire flight in a two-seat Delta safe’d up.

We always conduct a 3-5 minute TCC brief if we’re flying with a WSO to hammer out responsibilities. Bottom line, a great WSO can be an immense help in a complex CAS or AI environment but an average or poor WSO will be a significant degradation to SA at all times. For A/A, I don’t think even a great WSO provides an added benefit.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FlyArmy said:

Goose does not approve

Say what you will, and perhaps you’re a better pilot than I. My SA is degraded and my recall is less accurate when I’m not operating all of our displays and systems exclusively and the one issuing targeting.

But I always appreciate a solid TG reference!

15 hours ago, VMFA187 said:

It’s not as bad as you think because all pilots are trained to be single seat and all the jets are mech’d the same - You can safe the back seat and do the entire flight in a two-seat Delta safe’d up.

For A/A, I don’t think even a great WSO provides an added benefit.

Annnnnnnd that right there, ladies and gentlemen says it all in a nut-shell!!!

Single seat A/A - sport of kings.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JeremiahWeed said:

Annnnnnnd that right there, ladies and gentlemen says it all in a nut-shell!!!

Single seat A/A - sport of kings.

Nothing like coming in for the 500kt break after doing a 4vX with three of your best friends against PL-12 shooters!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, VMFA187 said:

Nothing like coming in for the 500kt break after doing a 4vX with three of your best friends against PL-12 shooters!

If pilots did more of that and less of everything else, they wouldn't be stampeding the exit door for a job flying 136kt ILS finals.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, nunya said:

If pilots did more of that and less of everything else, they wouldn't be stampeding the exit door for a job flying 136kt ILS finals.

I've never bought that line of reasoning. I think it's more about the fact that it's pretty f*cked up to turn down a massive improvement in income and quality of life to drag your family from base to base, suffering through deployments and taking a massive paycut just because you want to wear a bag and go fast.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, nunya said:

Ummmm, I did a 170kt break this afternoon in my RV which was paid for by my job flying 136kt ILS finals.

N67AW.jpg

Edited by Springer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 6

8 hours ago, joe1234 said:

I've never bought that line of reasoning. I think it's more about the fact that it's pretty f*cked up to turn down a massive improvement in income and quality of life to drag your family from base to base, suffering through deployments and taking a massive paycut just because you want to wear a bag and go fast.

Certainly there's more to it than 500kt breaks, but most deployments fall under the "everything else" category.  OAIX or OTBH stan-eval for 365 isn't exactly Mav-worthy.

8 hours ago, Springer said:

Ummmm, I did a 170kt break this afternoon in my RV which was paid for by my job flying 136kt ILS finals.

N67AW.jpg

Curious...did you build it or buy it already built?