Pilot Shortage Deepens, USAF is SCREWED.

ClearedHot

21 hours ago, hindsight2020 said:

I was in the last class at -6 PIT to have to demonstrate TAC for msn qual. By the time I drove back to DLF , it was nixed from the syllabus and never taught it to T-6 studs. Didn't think there was much to it but your point is noted, T-6 PIT circa 2010 had hella more washouts than the hamburger helper factory they got going on today. I'm a 38 IP these days, so it's a bit easier to tell no slack to someone without getting someone triggered, though it's starting to happen too. I'm afraid they're softening up things here too. But the AF has a production crisis they say, so standards will come down. My conscience is clear though, I document everything, and I'm 100% batting average on students I knew weren't gonna pass the B-course and got sent anyways. 2 of them in the 4 years I've been on this side of the house. One 15C and a 22. Waste of taxpaying dollars, but beats a class A, especially in the latter. I still keep the HUD tapes of the TP stall in the pattern the day I saved his life the first time (I saved his life a second time a month later) as a momento. The AF doesn't listen.

You and I were a class, maybe two, apart.  That was a rough summer for airsickness hooks.

10 hours ago, Seriously said:

I had just started PIT when they decided to take tac form out of the syllabus. One of the major driving forces behind it was to reduce washout rates at PIT. 

For some reason tac form turned the T-6 into a flying barany chair.

13 hours ago, Seriously said:

I had just started PIT when they decided to take tac form out of the syllabus. One of the major driving forces behind it was to reduce washout rates at PIT. 

How does a guy wash out of PIT as a minimum 1 tour AF pilot? I’m not a UPT IP but WTF? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

How does a guy wash out of PIT as a minimum 1 tour AF pilot? I’m not a UPT IP but WTF? 

B/C the same people we a surprised graduate SUPT return someday, and it's probably the easiest IP upgrade I've ever been apart of.

• Upvote 1

Take a dude that was marginal in UPT, throw him in a jet as a co-pilot/autopilot monitor for 3 years then ask him to go back and instruct tac form, aerobatics etc that he probably was never real good at in the first place.

• Upvote 1

From what I saw at the wing, half the people sent to white jets where fine pilots.   The other half were the people that get passed around from base to base so that they're someone else's problem.  Just the type we want teaching new guys!

Edited by snoopyeast
  • Upvote 1

From what I saw at the wing, half the people sent to white jets where fine pilots.   The other half were the people that get passed around from base to base so that they're someone else's problem.  Just the type we want teaching new guys!

Having been a PIT IP, you are totally right. Typically, the guys who volunteered to go to white jets were phenomenal instructors. The guys who were “screwed one way or another” typically were bottom dwellers in their community who no one wanted around.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/15/2018 at 5:22 PM, matmacwc said:

Is there a way we can print this, laminate it, and send it certified mail to Gen Goldfein to ensure he gets it?  Then hold his Exec's family hostage at gunpoint until he makes the general actually READ it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I knew there was a pilot shortage but these details blow my mind. I'm headed to Sheppard in May and this thread has me thinking I'm walking into a shit show on AD. Sounds like it's gonna be 11-12 yrs of flying 1-2 times a week, being frustrated with leadership, and watching dudes leave in droves for the airlines. Excited to work through initial training for 13 months (plus FTU etc.) to join this club :drinking:

And I can absolutely confirm that avg, PCSMs and general stats are down, and when you're taking 600+ cadets in a board you can bet it takes a lot to make the average move a little. Just saw a couple guys who were ranked near the bottom of their class of 30 for quite some time  for attitude, PT performances, and just general competency get pilot slots. Other guys with PCSMs in the teens and 20s keep getting slots, too. Combine that with the gutting of the SUPT syllabus and the aged state of the AF fleet, and we're in for a multi-decade safety and readiness rodeo. Though this is all based on my extremely rudimentary civilian/cadet understanding, of course. 

Worries aside I am excited as hell, it just sure does seem like big blue is trending south, hard. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I would think at least O-5s, maybe O-6s. Know a guy (pilot) who got picked up to be a MAJCOM/CC’s exec as an O-5.

Edit: to clarify, said dude was a graduated Sq/CC who put on O-6 soon after.

Edited by mcbush

I would think at least O-5s, maybe O-6s. Know a guy (pilot) who got picked up to be a MAJCOM/CC’s exec as an O-5.
Edit: to clarify, said dude was a graduated Sq/CC who put on O-6 soon after.

There is usually an O-6 “chief exec” then two or so regular exec O-5s and sometimes a peon exec at O-4.

17 hours ago, matmacwc said:

My guess is his exec's have seen it and showed it to him.

The question isn't if they showed it to him.  They almost certainly did.  My question is which passages did they highlight/extract into the BLUF.  Those who pare and control content also control the conversation.

Edited by HU&W
  • Like 2

Worries aside I am excited as hell, it just sure does seem like big blue is trending south, hard. 

Holy hell, maybe it’s the 4.5 hours I just spent in an ejection seat and only spent 15 seconds upside down but F-ck me!!!!

Us old salty sport b-tching bastards have complained so much we have UPT bound cadets worried.

Alright Bird12, listen up, because you are wrong. If anything the ship is righting itself from what I see, but Us old dudes were on board when it was sinking so different view

People on here have generally been/there, done that, diverse backgrounds/experiences.

I get tired of my buddies b-tching about the same things I’m bitching about in the sq bar over the same brand of scotch so I read this forum.

I want to hear how lousy the poor bastard flying the other jet has it so I can feel better -or- how good he has it so I can complain that community x gets all the good deals and wtf was I thinking taking the bonus because xx is at delta making $xx and here the f-ck I am getting $3.50 per day not allowed to drink beer on St Paddy’s day.

Sport bitching is in fact a sport among pilots. (Hence the name)

Very few of us really hate our jobs or the USAF.

Perspective.

I had a brand new straight out of MQT Lt on my wing in the AO, we flew a 4.5 hr mission full of in my opinion, sh-tty taskings, sh-tty scenery, sh-tty tankers, ATC, well you name it, to me it was all sh-t minus the 2 x barrel rolls in the descent.

When we got out of the jet I wanted to apologize for his first sortie in the AO being so sh-tty.

He was smiling ear to ear. My sh-tty 200th AAR was his first on that type of tanker. My sh-tty 200th time over the desert was his first. He loved it

See my point.

So you f-cking should be excited bird12, you got a chance at the coolest job in the world.

Keep some perspective and know who you are listening to on this forum.

If I were in your shoes I’d pay good money for the flight I did today however at my age/experience I’d just assume send someone else so I could sit in ops, drink coffee and complain about how f-cking stupid the USAF leadership is, how I’m not getting paid enough, how cool the Cold War days were, how great the airlines are according to my friends etc.

Out

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 23

22 hours ago, Bird12 said:

I knew there was a pilot shortage but these details blow my mind. I'm headed to Sheppard in May and this thread has me thinking I'm walking into a shit show on AD. Sounds like it's gonna be 11-12 yrs of flying 1-2 times a week, being frustrated with leadership, and watching dudes leave in droves for the airlines. Excited to work through initial training for 13 months (plus FTU etc.) to join this club :drinking:

And I can absolutely confirm that avg, PCSMs and general stats are down, and when you're taking 600+ cadets in a board you can bet it takes a lot to make the average move a little. Just saw a couple guys who were ranked near the bottom of their class of 30 for quite some time  for attitude, PT performances, and just general competency get pilot slots. Other guys with PCSMs in the teens and 20s keep getting slots, too. Combine that with the gutting of the SUPT syllabus and the aged state of the AF fleet, and we're in for a multi-decade safety and readiness rodeo. Though this is all based on my extremely rudimentary civilian/cadet understanding, of course. 

I love military aviation,  I hate most parts of the Air Force...if you can know the difference and focus on what you value, you will have a fulfilling career.

Bird your not walking into any thing of a shit show, your first 10 years of flying will be great in general with only the saltyness starting to creep in near the last year or two as you realize your future looks nothing like your past 10 years.  That is what primarily we are complaining about not how it was for Lts through Captain (aside from lame additional duties), but what we have to look forward to now that we are O-4's + looking down the barrel of non flying deployments/jobs/more time away from family just when time with your family actually starts to mean something (kids), etc.   I'd do it again in a heartbeat, I just can't stay in given current conditions at where I am at and am looking to go.

Edited by DirtyFlightSuit
  • Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, DirtyFlightSuit said:

Bird your not walking into any thing of a shit show, your first 10 years of flying will be great in general with only the saltyness starting to creep in near the last year or two as you realize your future looks nothing like your past 10 years.  That is what primarily we are complaining about not how it was for Lts through Captain (aside from lame additional duties), but what we have to look forward to now that we are O-4's + looking down the barrel of non flying deployments/jobs/more time away from family just when time with your family actually starts to mean something (kids), etc.   I'd do it again in a heartbeat, I just can't stay in given current conditions at where I am at and am looking to go.

3 hours ago, DirtyFlightSuit said:

I disagree with this analysis, based on my anecdotal experience.  I see saltiness creeping into the perspective of newly minted copilots in my community.  They get into the squadrons and are stunned by how little flying matters in flying squadrons.  They are disappointed in being shackled with additional duties.  I’d say half of our pilots are firmly in the GTFO pool before they finish the first 5 years of their ten year ADSC.

Of the half that do stay blue into the mid-level Captain stage..  this is when they get shackled with flight commander or shop chief level add’l duties.  They also start getting hit with non-flying 179s.  They are still 2-4 years from their UPT ADSCs, but firmly join the crowded GTFO pool. I’d say 8/10 pilots in my community are there by year 8 of their commitment.

Around the senior Capt or junior Maj level, you’re down to the the shiny pennies who would rather masturbate to their OPR strats than fly.  And some guys who are awful pilots and won’t get airline jobs.  These are the few who stay in.

Edited by flyusaf83
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2