Cyber technology jobs

I'm about to enlist in the Air National Guard and the only cyber jobs available at my base are Client Systems (3D1X1), Cyber Systems Operations (3D0X2), and Cyber Transport Systems (3D1X2). Then there's RF Transmissions Systems (3D1X3), and Spectrum Operations (3D1X4). These last two have a $10,000 signing bonus.

I have a BS in Computer Science and have been working in IT for over 14 years. The past 8 have been in software developing.

The signing bonus sounds very enticing, but I know nothing about radios, so that would leave Spectrum Operations as a maybe. I'm older and afraid of heights so don't want to be climbing radio towers.

The other 3Ds are kind of up my alley. Not entirely sure the difference between Cyber Transport and Cyber Systems, except that it's twice as long in Tech School. I've heard that Cyber Transport gets more certs. Really gearing into one of these two. 

My recruiter took me to the base last week and had the pleasure of talking to a few guys and they were saying that the commander wanted everyone in the unit to get most of the certs available, so that's awesome. I've heard that Client Systems isn't too rewarding, although I like tech support.

Would like some insight from you cyber airmen.

On 2/11/2018 at 1:12 PM, herkbum said:

I’m interested in seeing the responses. I not highly confident there are many Cyber Warriors perusing this forum. 

@17D_guy is one of the few. 

Edited by SurelySerious
Not to insult herkbum’s intel. FYI to OP.

Lol, thanks for the heads up guys.

Client Systems (3D1X1) - Help desk monkeys who do customer visits.  You'll do a lot of workstation fixes (java repair, headset's not working, etc.)

Cyber Systems Operations (3D0X2) - Not exactly sure, but I believe this is the NCC Server Monkeys.  So you'll be working with ACAS, Vuln patching, SCCM etc.

Cyber Transport Systems (3D1X2) - Router/Switch Monkeys.  So you'll be working on the transport making sure cables are plugged in and routing is working correctly.

RF Transmissions Systems (3D1X3) - Antenna Monkeys.  If you don't like heights DO NOT get this job.

Spectrum Operations (3D1X4) - Desk job ensuring that USAF Spectrum is being run correctly.  Hard to describe this one.  They make sure all the emitters on the airfield are not interfering with the civilian world and vice versa.  Example - Someone complains their garage door is opening on it's own every time aircraft X comes in to land.  Your job to figure it out--that's a true story.  No certifications that I'm aware of, you don't actually work on any equipment.  I'm sure some of the bros on here have stories about country music drowning out the ILS or some other such thing.

So.. if you're looking to go further with IT/Cyber do not pick the last 2 jobs.  There's a reason they have a bonus.  I'm partial to Transport Systems or Systems Operations, but that's kinda where I've spent the bulk of my career/professional focus.  There's nothing wrong with Client Systems either, though if you've got a CS degree...I'm not sure if it's going to feel like meaningful work. 

IF you wanted to get into the cyber ops side of the house the two I mentioned above will be the closest to a natural transition over.  

Please let me know if you've got anymore questions.

There are a couple 17Ds on this board.  I am a 17D in the Guard, I don't post here that much because what I do in my current job has nothing to do with flying airplanes. As far as the jobs go I posted in your other thread, you should read that to get my take on it.  The only update I have is that 3D1X4 is not an entry level job in the Guard last time I checked, you have to retrain into it from another comm job (meaning you as a new enlistee can't be put in it).  Your recruiter needs to check the enlisted job guide (forget what it is called) to confirm this is not still the case.  I stand by my original comment that you should try to be a 1B4, the base comm jobs are so watered down with rights being taken away that a lot of kids get frustrated that they don't get to do any hands-on work during the drill weekends.

1 hour ago, jcollins said:

There are a couple 17Ds on this board.  I am a 17D in the Guard, I don't post here that much because what I do in my current job has nothing to do with flying airplanes. As far as the jobs go I posted in your other thread, you should read that to get my take on it.  The only update I have is that 3D1X4 is not an entry level job in the Guard last time I checked, you have to retrain into it from another comm job (meaning you as a new enlistee can't be put in it).  Your recruiter needs to check the enlisted job guide (forget what it is called) to confirm this is not still the case.  I stand by my original comment that you should try to be a 1B4, the base comm jobs are so watered down with rights being taken away that a lot of kids get frustrated that they don't get to do any hands-on work during the drill weekends.

This dude cybers...