I need some advice

Buzzkillington

On 2/2/2018 at 10:02 PM, Buzzkillington said:

. I currently have a great finance job at Lockheed........

Now, a year after being accepted and waiting in the OTS pipeline... It has been one disaster after another... the amount of incompetence I've seen is incomprehensible and now, the rose tinted glasses are slowly coming off ..........

I'm reading your post with a giant question mark over my head.

What extra special insight have have you suddenly been granted while waiting in the OTS pipeline (whatever that is) that's allowed you to witness all this incompetence on the part of the AD USAF?  You've spent 4 years in your current position and felt a strong enough call to seek out the OTS/UPT opportunity while somehow remaining unaware of the faults of the USAF?  Now that you've been selected, what's changed?  Do OTS candidates get on some kind of "Here's all the dumb shit we're doing in the USAF" newsletter mailing list or are you being brought into top secret Lockheed meetings you previously had been left out of?  Seriously, what exactly are the "one disaster after another" you have been able to personally witness that's created this level of doubt? 

I'm not saying there's not plenty of issues with the AD USAF.  Generally speaking, those issues don't rise to the level of pain required to make someone consider bailing on the AD until they're a mid-level O-3 approaching the end of their UPT service commitment.  You usually don't see that low a pain tolerance in a brand new butter bar never mind a civilian who hasn't even started day-one or raised his hand and taken the oath.

Go fly USAF airplanes - fighters if you can.  The ANG is a great option if you can swing it without porking away the bird you already have in your hand.  But, either way, spend your younger years doing one of the best jobs this country has to offer.  Yes, there's a price to pay to do it, sometimes a really big price.  I seriously doubt you'll find too many guys here who feel their choice was a mistake.

Edited by JeremiahWeed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JeremiahWeed said:

Seriously, what exactly are the "one disaster after another" you have been able to personally witness that's created this level of doubt?

The biggest thing has been the flight physical. I have driven to two different cities in two different states and have had four tries to get it done. The first time, I showed up for an appointment at 8 am that apparently never was made (even though my recruiter insisted it was). The second, I get a call from another AFB saying I missed an appointment that my recruiter failed to tell me about. The third (I learned my lesson and scheduled/coordinated myself), I show up and do the physical, which was painless enough. However, they called me two weeks ago to tell me they lost half the tests/paperwork and to drive back to do it again.

2 hours ago, JeremiahWeed said:

Now that you've been selected, what's changed?

Apart from the general running around chasing my own tail over the past year, I got promoted into a much less "Office Spacey" job/group with some really cool people. They also want to put me in a three year leadership program that will pay for my masters. Also, I've moved downtown from suburbia and get to ski every weekend (the one thing I love more than flying). BUT that all kind of feels like a bunch of nothing to me and I'm ready to give it up... just wanted to give you some perspective on what has changed since I was accepted. 

This thread has set me straight though and I'm in this 110%. It was just after reading so many "I'm punching the second I can" posts in other threads, I had to at least ask the question.

Thanks everyone for the insight and motivating words!

I'd hate to back you off from your 110%, but I would not do it again.  I had an exciting job that paid fine, but I've always been a sucker for green grass.  So I took the leap and flying has been awesome, the people are great, and there have been days that I couldn't believe I was getting paid.  On the other hand, there are a lot of awesome things other than flying (skiing being at the top of my list as well), there are great people pretty much everywhere, and I enjoyed my prior job as much as I've enjoyed this one.  Everyone is different, and only hindsight will tell you what the best choice would have been, and that kind of hindsight only occurs if you do both.  Back then, I would have hated to be left wondering what might have been; but now that I know, I would rather be left wondering.

It's funny you mentioned skiing, because I did that regularly in my previous life, and I have yet to get an assignment where it's an option, other than taking leave of course.  Personally, I'd rather be skiing.  I enjoy(ed) it much more than flying...ymmv.