Enlistment to commission path

I'm 37 and about to enlist. My personal mission is to achieve a commission. I know I'm old, but I've heard that it's possible. Does picking the right job matter?

I have a BS is in computer science and currently work full time as a system developer. I have worked in a variety of other areas within the IT field (technician, DBA, system administrator, etc.) Currently, from what the web page says that's available are the following Cyber jobs for my base: Client Systems (3D1X1), Client Systems Operations (3D0X2), Cyber Surety (3D0X3), Cyber Transport Systems (3D1X2). Radio Frequency Transmission Systems (3D1X3) and Spectrum Operations (3D1X4) also appear on the Cyber Technologies category, but don't appeal to me as much. The only officer cyber job is Network Operations Officer (17DX). 

Client Systems Operations and cyber transport systems sound a bit similar to what a Network operations officer does, at least too me, please correct me. 
Anyways would it matter what job I choose as enlisted to better help seeking commission?

Why would you enlist with the specific purpose of commissioning? There's no guarantee you'll ever get a commission if you enlist. It will be much easier (especially considering your age) to go the OTS route now.

Edited by GDAL

59 minutes ago, GDAL said:

Why would you enlist with the specific purpose of commissioning? There's no guarantee you'll ever get a commission if you enlist. It will be much easier (especially considering your age) to go the OTS route now.

This. I hear it's generally more selective for enlisted to commission and you'll have a certain amount of time as enlisted before you're able to apply. You're much better off going straight for OTS considering your age.

2 hours ago, Papote said:

Recruiter gave me a gave a hard time saying I was too old and stuff. 

Don't enlist unless the jobs you listed above are the ones you can see yourself doing for the duration of your AF career. You may otherwise find yourself in a world of disappointment down the road.

If he/she says you're too old to commission now, enlisting will just make things more challenging down the road. IMHO, you're just hearing more verbal diarrhea from a recruiter with a quota.

You know what you want, don't take no for an answer.

Edited by GDAL

I am a 17D in the Guard.  I am assuming you are planning on joining the Guard as enlisting on Active Duty doesn't make any sense as you would lose your mind working for kids 15 year younger than you.  In my opinion, most Comm jobs have been badly neutered in the last 10 years so that they're all not that great.  The exception to the rule is 1B4, if you can get in one of those units they do some interesting stuff.   If not the only jobs I would consider are 3D0x2 (windows server admin with maybe some VMware) or 3D1x2 (CCNA type stuff with some telecom).  All the rest of the jobs are not that great, 3D0x3 may be worthwhile if you are gunning for being a hands-off CISSP policy person.

The problem with all the jobs is that they have centralized control of the network to the NOSC/DISA, so at the base level you don't get to do much. The network also sucks because they did this and you have a pissed off base populace that you can't do much to help. The real growth is in the cyber units (1B4), so if you want to have a meaningful contribution that is where to go.

As far as 17Ds go, they are not typically hands on unless they are one of the few of us that work doing something cool on the outside (Raphael mudge comes to mind).  There are some interesting opportunities in the cyber units if you know where to look.  Going for 17D, biggest thing is the technical degree although an enlisted comm afsc could help.

I'm at OTS right now, at least half the class is prior enlisted. Not sure what the numbers are like for applicants though, there could be a ton more prior-Es applying, making the process more competitive for them. There's at least one 40 year old prior-E here, so it's not impossible. Just difficult, and you're gambling an enlistment on everything lining up perfectly for you.

8 minutes ago, mb1685 said:

The maximum commissioning age for non-rated was recently increased to 39 (commission by 40th birthday) per AFI 36-2005. Find a line officer recruiter and get the show on the road!

I was not aware of this...

My ASVAB is expires next month.  Not sure what to do now... I had gotten good scores in my ASVAB, but it took a lot of studying for a while. I just passed my physical yesterday.

I've been many times to the recruiting office and never seen an officer. There only enlisted members there. Going to another recruiting office is out of the question, cause there really isn't. Had the same recruiter for like 3 years. Had to speak to his supervisor (MSgt) last month, since he wouldn't go over my file. Always gave me some excuse. I'm supposed to call him next week to setup to go to the base and see the jobs first hand. 

1 hour ago, Papote said:

I was not aware of this...

My ASVAB is expires next month.  Not sure what to do now... I had gotten good scores in my ASVAB, but it took a lot of studying for a while. I just passed my physical yesterday.

I've been many times to the recruiting office and never seen an officer. There only enlisted members there. Going to another recruiting office is out of the question, cause there really isn't. Had the same recruiter for like 3 years. Had to speak to his supervisor (MSgt) last month, since he wouldn't go over my file. Always gave me some excuse. I'm supposed to call him next week to setup to go to the base and see the jobs first hand. 

Officer recruiters aren't actually officers themselves, just NCOs. Forget the ASVAB. Get in touch with the line officer recruiter and schedule the AFOQT.

5 hours ago, GDAL said:

Officer recruiters aren't actually officers themselves, just NCOs. Forget the ASVAB. Get in touch with the line officer recruiter and schedule the AFOQT.

How much more difficult is the AFOQT from the ASVAB. Don't know much about aviation and am going for a cyber job, those sections worry me. 

How much more difficult is the AFOQT from the ASVAB. Don't know much about aviation and am going for a cyber job, those sections worry me. 

The AFOQT isn’t going to be any easier when you try to commission at a later date after enlisting. Take it now and talk to an officer recruiter. You seem to be making every excuse to avoid what is the obviously better option.

3 hours ago, Papote said:

Seriously, just study and get it done. Now's the time to decide if being an officer is right for you.

Edited by GDAL

I'm mostly worried since I'm so late in the game that I miss out completely any shot of joining the ANG.

Either way gonna get some AFOQT books and start studying hard again. I'll be messaging my recruiter on Monday. Will be interesting to see how he'll react.

Who cares, it’s numbers. Papote do what’s right for you and don’t worry about the recruiter. Contact an ANG unit with a Cyber group and talk directly to them. I think the one on my base is posting an officer position as well. Can’t speak to their manning numbers, but they should at least talk to you. 

Edited by herkbum

Spoke to my recruiter and said that to his knowledge that the max age was 33. I told him about AFI 36-2005, but asked if I could print him out a copy of where it said it was mentioned, when I meet him this week. He's going to show me around the unit and fill some paperwork.

On 2/2/2018 at 2:46 PM, Papote said:

Dude who cares how difficult it is. Just get it done. If becoming an officer is your goal then this should not even matter. Study up and get it done!