What Are My Chances? Army Infantry CPT

SLAYER0512

Hey guys,

I am currently 30 years old and serving on active duty as a CPT in the Army as an infantry officer

I have 8 years of active federal service (6 years commissioned in the Army (infantry), 2 years enlisted in Army Aviation as an AH-64D Apache crew chief)

3.2 GPA from West Point in Engineering Management (spent a semester on exchange at USAFA, graduated 180 out of 1030)

No AFOQT / TBAS / PCSM scores yet, but will be taking them upon return from current Afghanistan deployment

No PPL yet, but plan on executing with target completion date NLT 31 December 2018

My plan is to complete the AFOQT and TBAS upon return from deployment this spring and then begin working on my PPL and complete that by the end of the year to boost my PCSM as high as possible.  During that time I will also continue networking and knock out some unit visits.  I will complete a Company Command prior to transitioning to the Air Guard or Reserve.  I know my challenge will be finding a unit willing to support an age waiver for SUPT.  I have a strong performance record in the Army and have got some good feedback from some of the units I have talked to so far on my bio (I've contacted 17x guard units and 7x reserve units so far).  I'm looking to get in either a F-15, F-16, F-22, F-35, or A-10.  As long as it's one of those I'm good to go and am very flexible on location.  My target board date is sometime in FY19 with a SUPT start date in FY20.

Does anyone have a vector on some units out there that are willing to support age waivers for SUPT?  Any recommendations aside from destroying the AFOQT, TBAS, and obtaining my PPL to make myself more marketable?  I've done a lot thus far in the Army but don't want to solely bank on my background & service record / "whole person" concept getting me in the door...especially since I need an age waiver.

Any help from any current guard or reserve pilots or anyone really with any helpful advice / recommendations is greatly appreciated.  Thanks a lot guys.

-Glenn

• 4 weeks later...

I have a similar resume but was a pilot, and I can tell you you’re fighting an uphill battle. Not an impossible one, but you’d be a lot better off if you were 25 and had less than 5 years commissioned service. The 2 ETPs (age/commissioned service) aren’t hard to get at the AFRC/ANG levels, but no fighter unit wants to hire old Captains when they can hire young lieutenants. Air Force units don’t seem to like the army stink either. Pm me if you want. There are a few other West Pointers on the circuit rushing. 

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah brother, I’m with FlyArmy. Also a USMA grad and Army Aviator been working the pipeline. Waiting on board results from AFRC on a hire to go back to UPT and fly KC-135. I got hired by my squadron in March of 17 and here we are a year later, waiting to hear back. Feel free to PM me and we can chat on the phone, as that’s a whole lot easier.