PPL for Fighters

Intogamer

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I can gauge people's thoughts or experiences on flight hours and PPL. I am currently applying to a couple of fighter units but as of application time, I do not yet have my ppl (only about 20hrs). Correspondingly my PCSM score is kind of low at mid 700s however with 201+ hours it would be in the 90s. I aim to complete my PPL by end of March but a lot of units have their application deadline beforehand.

Do you think that units would simply look at the initial score and flight hours or if I mention that i'm actively pursuing to complete it the units would take that into consideration? How heavily weighted is flight hours essentially in your opinion/experience?

Thanks!

Edited by Intogamer

Apply anyway, but finish your PPL as soon as possible. That was the common denominator when I was on the fighter circuit. Flight hours varied from person to person, but a PPL shows you’re competent/motivated enough to see your training through to the end.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:00 PM, Intogamer said:

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I can gauge people's thoughts or experiences on flight hours and PPL. I am currently applying to a couple of fighter units but as of application time, I do not yet have my ppl (only about 20hrs). Correspondingly my PCSM score is kind of low at 75 however with 201+ hours it would be 95 and 60+ is 85 (which is most likely for me in the short term). I aim to complete my PPL by end of March but a lot of units have their application deadline beforehand.

Do you think that units would simply look at the initial score and flight hours or if I mention that i'm actively pursuing to complete it the units would take that into consideration? How heavily weighted is flight hours essentially in your opinion/experience?

Thanks!

How did you score on the AFOQT?

6 hours ago, Intogamer said:

98/ Prior E as well

I scored a 96 on Pilot and have similar flights hours to you (in the 20s) but have yet to take the TBAS (scheduled next week).  Trying to gauge what I can expect my PSCM to be from a positive TBAS.  Good luck and thanks! 

18 minutes ago, PTM.24 said:

I scored a 96 on Pilot and have similar flights hours to you (in the 20s) but have yet to take the TBAS (scheduled next week).  Trying to gauge what I can expect my PSCM to be from a positive TBAS.  Good luck and thanks! 

Study it a little bit if you can. A couple of the sections are counter-intuitive and they only give you a few moments to prepare/practice. The test isn't something to stress over but I wish I had read up on it before going in. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if I can gauge people's thoughts or experiences on flight hours and PPL. I am currently applying to a couple of fighter units but as of application time, I do not yet have my ppl (only about 20hrs). Correspondingly my PCSM score is kind of low at mid 700s however with 201+ hours it would be in the 90s. I aim to complete my PPL by end of March but a lot of units have their application deadline beforehand.

Thanks!

Apply regardless. A missed application is a wasted opportunity, regardless of whether you think you’ll be competitive without a PPL. Most of the folks I’ve seen hired at fighter units had one but not all. In any case, having applied to a unit prior will be good optics when you apply the following year.