ANG pay in BMT

I'm considering joining my local Air National Guard and have a couple of questions regarding initial pay. I have a bachelor's degree. I understand that I would go in as an E3. Since everyone in BMT is an airman (E1), would pay be as E1? If so, would E3 be sown on and E3 pay be at or after Tech Scool? Is there retroactive pay? Also, I've seen some airman drill before going to BMT, would pay then be as E1 as well? Who actually pays during the trainings: the federal government or the state?

Bonus question... I have a full-time job and since I'm voluntarily joining the ANG, are they legally bound to hold my position until I finish and come back as opposed to being called to active?

You will be paid as an E3 from day one of your enlistment. Even though you are technically an E1 in basic training you will still receive E3 pay. You will sew on E3 at the completion of BMT. You will be getting E3 pay during drill before you leave to basic as well. The state pays for your drill status checks and the federal government pays when you are on orders during BMT and technical training also when you are on MEST training days. Your job is bound by the law to hold your position while you are on orders with the military. Hope this helps and good luck! 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Papote said:

I'm considering joining my local Air National Guard and have a couple of questions regarding initial pay. I have a bachelor's degree. I understand that I would go in as an E3. Since everyone in BMT is an airman (E1), would pay be as E1? If so, would E3 be sown on and E3 pay be at or after Tech Scool? Is there retroactive pay? Also, I've seen some airman drill before going to BMT, would pay then be as E1 as well? Who actually pays during the trainings: the federal government or the state?

Bonus question... I have a full-time job and since I'm voluntarily joining the ANG, are they legally bound to hold my position until I finish and come back as opposed to being called to active?

Why not commission?

1 hour ago, Papote said:

Sadly I'm to old. 37.

Straight from the AF website:

1. You must be between 18 and 39 years of age
  2. be a U.S. citizen
  3.  have at least a bachelor's degree.
Edited by GDAL

10 hours ago, GDAL said:

Straight from the AF website:

1. You must be between 18 and 39 years of age
  2. be a U.S. citizen
  3.  have at least a bachelor's degree.

Also says in the FAQ page to become an officer:

"If selected, you are required to complete the Academy of Military Science (AMS) Officer training program prior to your 35th birthday."

That being said I've heard about older people in OTS. Maybe a waiver. Gonna' try my darndest to get a comission. 

Edited by Papote

12 hours ago, BTHURK said:

You will be paid as an E3 from day one of your enlistment. Even though you are technically an E1 in basic training you will still receive E3 pay. You will sew on E3 at the completion of BMT. You will be getting E3 pay during drill before you leave to basic as well. The state pays for your drill status checks and the federal government pays when you are on orders during BMT and technical training also when you are on MEST training days. Your job is bound by the law to hold your position while you are on orders with the military. Hope this helps and good luck! 

Neat! Thanks!

Was supposed to get an appointment for MEPS this week, but the partial shutdown kinda' set it back a bit. 

BTW, What is MEST?

Papote,

Yeah, get use to that sadly enough. Doesn't look like it's getting better anytime soon. But on the bright side you are joining the best ranks around so to that I say congrats! Mest is mission essential skills training which is a long fancy term for on the job training after technical school. Each AFSC has a certain amount of days allotted for MEST. Also I was reading previous responses and noticed people talking about commissioning. AMS is no longer available as everyone now goes to OTS for officer training. AMS used to be a shorter officer training for prior national guard guys, six weeks long instead of the eight weeks of OTS. By the way, if you do consider commissioning my opinion is to start enlisted first, do a good job and they will give you a waiver for your age. Easy as that! Good luck!

19 hours ago, Papote said:

Neat! Thanks!

Was supposed to get an appointment for MEPS this week, but the partial shutdown kinda' set it back a bit. 

BTW, What is MEST?

MEST is the official term for "seasoning" days. After completion of tech school you'll get a set number of days on orders, at your home station, to start working on your upgrade training in your AFSC. The number of days varies by AFSC.