Draken / ATAC

billy pilgrim

As for Draken, no full-time gigs, they very much insist on part-time work (there's your sign). Pay day-rate is pretty paltry compared to corporate day rate in most turbine equipment. Retirement and healthcare benefits are effectively non-existent from a military or even airline benchmark. Essentially you're paid to play fighter pilot on a day rate basis in mil retirement (it's assumed nobody without a second income would agree to the rate) for a paycut. But there's a niche for those interested in that agreement. My source was mostly speaking about their Florida and SW operation. No SA on their OCONUS pay or work agreements. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, hindsight2020 said:

As for Draken, no full-time gigs, they very much insist on part-time work (there's your sign). Pay day-rate is pretty paltry compared to corporate day rate in most turbine equipment. Retirement and healthcare benefits are effectively non-existent from a military or even airline benchmark. Essentially you're paid to play fighter pilot on a day rate basis in mil retirement (it's assumed nobody without a second income would agree to the rate) for a paycut. But there's a niche for those interested in that agreement. My source was mostly speaking about their Florida and SW operation. No SA on their OCONUS pay or work agreements. 

Good luck!

Any information about the operations run out of Destin? Vertol and Blue Air? I see Mechanic and Avionics help wanted ads all the time.

8 hours ago, MC5Wes said:

Any information about the operations run out of Destin? Vertol and Blue Air? I see Mechanic and Avionics help wanted ads all the time.

I know several guys who fly for Blue Air and are relatively happy with it.  At least out in my neck of the woods, they're supporting the JTAC school/CAS training, and are looking primarily for former A-G fighter dudes (Hogs seem to be preferred).  There appear to be several spots in the CONUS where they're flying, and pilots airline travel and ferry the airplanes to/from the locations.

Like what was posted regarding Draken, nobody's getting rich doing it, but retired mil guys with the pension and Tricare seem to be satisfied with the company and the work.

• Like 1

I wonder if any of those companies have anything against you working for more than one of them. That way you can take whatever gigs make themselves available. That should help mitigate the relatively low and intermittent pay that you guys are mentioning.

Draken is expanding fast. The euro stuff is all locally sourced pilots so far (apart from management). Don’t know if that might change. 

Seems to to me that they want full time guys then want all part time, back and forth. Agree that the pay isn’t competitive; it’s really for dudes that just want to keep flying fast jets. As that stands the dudes running the show at Draken are good people. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 5:13 PM, MC5Wes said:

Do not work/fly for Vertol. Check out their Glassdoor.com rating. There's a reason they're always looking for help...

I've worked for Draken for almost 2 years and have to say it's a very good company to work for.  Everything you loved about flying in the Air Force but without the stuff you hated (queep).  We currently are looking for both full and part-time current fighter guys for our Nellis operation.   Part-time pay is very competitive if you are looking for a side gig and the lifestyle is great.  If anyone has specific questions feel free to PM me.