Sign in to follow this  
PilotCandidate

Med school?

Hey guys,

Has anyone ever gone through Med school as a part-timer (assuming the school is very close to your base)?

Is Med school as a part-timer something thats even possible, solely from a time commitment standpoint? 

Never seen it in my guard experience but I suppose it is possible.  A few years past we had a guy attend / graduate law school, single no kids dude and was focused like a laser on the finish line so while not the same thing it is somewhat similar. 

Are you thinking about going right after UPT / FTU?

1 hour ago, PilotCandidate said:

Hey guys,

Has anyone ever gone through Med school as a part-timer (assuming the school is very close to your base)?

Is Med school as a part-timer something thats even possible, solely from a time commitment standpoint? 

I know 4 flight surgeons that are also fighter pilots as well as civilian doctors.  Only one I know did pilot training after med school, you're going to be busy.

36 minutes ago, hindsight2020 said:

yeah, a Buff nav I knew who later became wing leadership went to med school as a trougher. It's possible, but it takes a lot of flexibility on the part of the unit.

A pilot in the same unit is about to give it a shot as well (got admitted a few months ago).

A long-time friend went through UPT as a guard dude then F-16 RTU.  After becoming and IP he went to Med School and is now a surgeon and I believe still flying.

Hey guys, I really appreciate all the replies! What I'm getting from all this is that it's possible with some understanding/flexibility from the unit but it'll be a kick in the balls for a few years.

@Clark Griswold I would be interested in starting pretty much ASAP after seasoning training, give a few months. 

@HeloDude My family has made a career out of the medical industry and being a Doc has always been an interest of mine. Being an MD/DO is a job I have a lot of respect for, theres a fair amount of career flexibility, good pay, and I see it as personally fulfilling employment (in addition to being one of the lucky few who get to defend our Country and its interests). It's also something I could definitely see myself doing long after the military decides I'm too old to continue flying on a regular basis. All that and I am one of the fortunate few who has the opportunity to go through Med school debt free (or at least with a minimal, no-interest loan) so my immediate post-school concern wouldn't be paying off a mountain of debt. Med school may never come to fruition for me but it's worth exploring that possibility...if the opportunity knocks I'd like to be prepared. 

8 hours ago, PilotCandidate said:

Hey guys, I really appreciate all the replies! What I'm getting from all this is that it's possible with some understanding/flexibility from the unit but it'll be a kick in the balls for a few years.

@Clark Griswold I would be interested in starting pretty much ASAP after seasoning training, give a few months. 

Gotcha.  Sounds reasonable, prog out your schedule for all the grounding items and control the things you can like checkride testing when in your zone.

Depending on your beans, what their currency is or your RAP requirements, you can probably manage it.  Not sure what aircraft your going back to but as long as your not too egregious, most OGs will waive a reasonable deficit of training beans annually as long as you maintain CMR for the most part.

Good luck.