Blended Retirement System Puzzle

spaceman

9 hours ago, matmacwc said:

Title 5 isn’t great from what I hear.

I've only had a few minute conversion with a buddy and he didn't seem to excited. Among other things, he said they're not allowed to wear military issued gear other than steeltoe boots...everything else they must foot the bill.  On the upside, they can work a title 5 job and NOT be in the military...something our current technicians can't do.   

7 hours ago, SocialD said:

I've only had a few minute conversion with a buddy and he didn't seem to excited. Among other things, he said they're not allowed to wear military issued gear other than steeltoe boots...everything else they must foot the bill.  On the upside, they can work a title 5 job and NOT be in the military...something our current technicians can't do.   

Our first one started this week and he can’t be any happier. 

5 hours ago, herkbum said:

Our first one started this week and he can’t be any happier. 

I'm sure there are people who will love it.  We have some people who can't pass a PT test, I'm sure they will love this as they can just get out of the military and keep their job.  Not saying that's your guy but one reason some will love it.  As Guardian says below it will also be a great thing for the enlisted guys who wish to keep a job after retirement from the military.  It will be a great thing for the AGRs who retire and still need a job to make ends meet.  On the plus side, we maintain that experience, which is one thing that sets the ARC above the AD in many respects. 

4 hours ago, Guardian said:

Title 5 is straight civilian. No DSG. You can’t. Not a good option for most. A good option for the retired TSgts or MSgts that want to stay connected.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but we definitely have Title 5 guys who are also DSGs.  There are now a lot of things that they can't be compelled to do unless they're in a mil status, such as CBRNE/SABC training...although they can be forced to attend Green dot training since civilians do that as well.  I just hope they make our medical staff AGR, it's maddening when you need to get a shot but they don't have anyone in a mil status to administer the shot.  Agree with your last sentence. 

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly off topic, but have any recent hires had issues with opting in to the BRS? I thought I'd be automatically opted in since my first paycheck came in January, but apparently I have to choose to opt in because I swore in in 2017. But there's no BRS opt-in button for me on MyPay. Base finance is no help because I'm Reserve, Reserve squadron just keeps telling me to call DFAS, DFAS says I have to call AFPC, and everyone I've managed to get on the phone at AFPC says it's not their problem.