The Iran thread

Clark Griswold

2 hours ago, fire4effect said:

Leave to the jokers in the crowd to decide the significance of of the 2 and 3 inch dimensions.

😁

It matters.  That's what the ladies say.  

if_it_flies_it_dies_mrale_patch__38768.1653398015.jpg?c=3
Couldn't resist. 

No matter the squeak apparently.

If it makes anybody feel better we don’t trust our own air defense either. I just want to know where Division Main is so I can avoid it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, fire4effect said:

if_it_flies_it_dies_mrale_patch__38768.1653398015.jpg?c=3

Couldn't resist. 😎

During my sentence...I mean tour... As an ALO with an armor battalion, I was having a conversation with one off the air defense guys and he proudly stated that the AD folks could visually ID 67% of all aircraft.  I guess the other 33% are screwed.

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, TreeA10 said:

During my sentence...I mean tour... As an ALO with an armor battalion, I was having a conversation with one off the air defense guys and he proudly stated that the AD folks could visually ID 67% of all aircraft.  I guess the other 33% are screwed.

I think they were being highly optimistic about that 67%...

7 hours ago, M2 said:

I think they were being highly optimistic about that 67%...

I flew part of the a Patriot battalion back from the middle east on a CRAF mission. They were the ones that shot down a Tornado and a Hornet. Had a long conversation with battalion exec about that stupidity.  Target ID needed improvement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TreeA10 said:

I flew part of the a Patriot battalion back from the middle east on a CRAF mission. They were the ones that shot down a Tornado and a Hornet. Had a long conversation with battalion exec about that stupidity.  Target ID needed improvement.

Of course, to be fair there was a time where some thought Blackhawks looked like Hinds. Deadly serious business and we can't forget the hard lessons.

Edited by fire4effect
clarity

Indeed.  In their defense, I've seen hundreds if not thousands of Blackhawks flying around stateside/OCONUS/deployed and I don't think I've ever seen one with tanks. 

Obviously a gaping hole in the pre-deployment study plan, but without intel or someone telling them they have that capability, I don't think a fighter pilot would just guess that a Blackhawk has that ability.

Indeed.  In their defense, I've seen hundreds if not thousands of Blackhawks flying around stateside/OCONUS/deployed and I don't think I've ever seen one with tanks. 
Obviously a gaping hole in the pre-deployment study plan, but without intel or someone telling them they have that capability, I don't think a fighter pilot would just guess that a Blackhawk has that ability.

What? There are ten parked on our ramp right now.

ESSS has been around since the 80s and was a pretty standard phenomenon. You didn’t see it in COIN Iraq/Stan because of either the weight penalty, the lack of requirement due to availability of FARPs, or some combination there of.

In the 90s it was pretty much normal, same as Apaches flying with a single tank inboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Fair enough, maybe just not as common where I've lived or flown.  I probably average seeing 2-4 a day as I'm near an Army base (sorry, "post") and I just can't think of a time that I've seen tanks on.

Back to the topic, saw an article today (sorry, forget the source) that Israel canned a planned strike on Iran after Biden called and more open sources are saying an attack is being planned.  Maybe we will get an overt strike after all.

8 minutes ago, uhhello said:

Looks like Israel was just fibbing about waiting until after passover.  Israeli strikes on Iranian nuclear facility locations just happened.  

TRANSFER OF TRAFFIC BETWEEN TEHRAN FIR AND BAGHDAD FIR (ORBB)

TEMPORARY SUSPENDED THEREFOR ALL AIR OPERATOR 

ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO PLAN AND CONDUCT 

ARRIVAING TRAFFIC FROM BAGHDAD FIR TO TEHRAN FIR AND 

DEPARTING TRAFFIC FROM TEHRAN FIR TO BAGHDAD FIR

https://www.notams.faa.gov/dinsQueryWeb/queryRetrievalMapAction.do?reportType=Raw&retrieveLocId=oiix&actionType=notamRetrievalbyICAOs

32 minutes ago, Swizzle said:

TRANSFER OF TRAFFIC BETWEEN TEHRAN FIR AND BAGHDAD FIR (ORBB)

TEMPORARY SUSPENDED THEREFOR ALL AIR OPERATOR 

ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO PLAN AND CONDUCT 

ARRIVAING TRAFFIC FROM BAGHDAD FIR TO TEHRAN FIR AND 

DEPARTING TRAFFIC FROM TEHRAN FIR TO BAGHDAD FIR

https://www.notams.faa.gov/dinsQueryWeb/queryRetrievalMapAction.do?reportType=Raw&retrieveLocId=oiix&actionType=notamRetrievalbyICAOs

image.thumb.png.bd081feddb5a1a0300b8d54975898e91.png

• Haha 4