The Iran thread

Clark Griswold

On 6/22/2019 at 5:14 PM, 17D_guy said:

I’m not sure why we’d mitigate their ability to launch missiles right now.  Save that action for a war/real operation that could save US lives....

wasted tech, if you ask me

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bennynova said:

I’m not sure why we’d mitigate their ability to launch missiles right now.  Save that action for a war/real operation that could save US lives....

wasted tech, if you ask me

https://www.rt.com/news/462533-iran-cyber-attack-unsuccessful/

Iran says they foiled it.  If true, then better to find out now that it wouldn't have worked when it really counted.

Edited by Slick

4 hours ago, McJay Pilot said:

When you load up the tapes, you just have to plug this in first. 

460E49CD-E20C-46BE-9196-696BBC602257.jpeg.6521171624909b530e3d27f3827f3cda.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Escalating quickly with the UK now. I still can't get inside the heads of foreign leaders who want to piss of the big guys like this. They're like chihuahuas around Labs and any other larger breed.

Escalating quickly with the UK now. I still can't get inside the heads of foreign leaders who want to piss of the big guys like this. They're like chihuahuas around Labs and any other larger breed.
Because they think they can win in the long term. Sure, we can cause them a lot of pain in the near term, but short of conquering and occupying Iran, they probably feel they can retain power over whatever is left after we're too tired to keep fighting. Basically like the Taliban in Afghanistan-we can't stay forever, and they know that.

Plus it gives them negotiating capital for easing sanctions.

6 hours ago, waveshaper said:

Good thing they sent the A-team.  Nothing like a go around to keep up the element of "surprise".  Hover about 20 feet too high.  Team roping onto each other.  

Can't believe they keep poking the bears. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, McJay Pilot said:

Welp... shit.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1054561

This is kinda how Red Storm Rising kicked off. Maybe we’ll get that movie after all!

Except the Saudi’s have consistently shown themselves to be one of the most incompetent fighting forces in the history of warfare (billions of dollars in some of the best US military hardware hasn’t doesn’t mean anything when you’re unwilling to maintain it or learn how to employ it effectively).  They’re not gonna go after Iran on their own, they’re barely holding their own against the Houthis.

I’d highly encourage anyone interested in what’s unfolding in the Gulf right now to read Andrew Bacevich’s America’s War for the Greater Middle East.  It’s a fairly depressing read; there’s a lot of historical parallels going on right now (understanding that it’s not direct ie history doesn’t repeat itself but it does rhyme).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DirkDiggler said:

Except the Saudi’s have consistently shown themselves to be one of the most incompetent fighting forces in the history of warfare (billions of dollars in some of the best US military hardware hasn’t doesn’t mean anything when you’re unwilling to maintain it or learn how to employ it effectively).  They’re not gonna go after Iran on their own, they’re barely holding their own against the Houthis.

I’d highly encourage anyone interested in what’s unfolding in the Gulf right now to read Andrew Bacevich’s America’s War for the Greater Middle East.  It’s a fairly depressing read; there’s a lot of historical parallels going on right now (understanding that it’s not direct ie history doesn’t repeat itself but it does rhyme).

Mind pointing out a few of the parallels to some of us who find this interesting but are too lazy to get to deep into it?

9 hours ago, DirkDiggler said:

Everything Bacevich has written should be required reading.

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, LJDRVR said:

Everything Bacevich has written should be required reading.

Maybe for all you anti-Trumpers. TL;DR version of Bacevich's views: Obama's approach to Iran was great. Trump is a disaster. 

Edited by pilot
  • Downvote 3

5 hours ago, pilot said:

Maybe for all you anti-Trumpers. TL;DR version of Bacevich's views: Obama's approach to Iran was great. Trump is a disaster. 

That’s too bad. I hate it when people take the time to write about an otherwise interesting subject and completely politicize it. Everyone is pushing an agenda these days and it’s exhausting. Guess it belongs in the pile of “good kindling” as a fire starter for my fire pit...

8 hours ago, WheelsOff said:

That’s too bad. I hate it when people take the time to write about an otherwise interesting subject and completely politicize it. Everyone is pushing an agenda these days and it’s exhausting. Guess it belongs in the pile of “good kindling” as a fire starter for my fire pit...

FWIW Andrew Bacevich is a self-described conservative with a view of US foreign policy that is deeply skeptical that military power is an all-purpose salve that it's often used as. This has put him at odds at times with the current President as well as both of his predecessors. He's also a retired Army Colonel who served in Vietnam who earned a PhD from Princeton and lost a son to combat in Iraq.

All this to say: read him for yourself and figure out if you agree or disagree with his thoughts. I don't count myself in the camp that agrees with him reflexively, but I respect his thinking enough to at least read his writing on occasion. My recommendation is to start here, published in 2008.

• Upvote 5

Say, Europe, Japan, et al, we, the US are net exporters of oil/energy now.  Other than the principal of freedom of navigation, the Straits are not nearly as important to us now as they are to you.

We'll put a few Patriot batteries in Saudi Arabia, y'all got the rest.  If it's important to you, you'll step up.  We can be fine "leading from behind" on this one.

The economic squeeze we are applying to the Mullahs and all the apparatus that relies on them for their cheap gas, pensions, etc, is working just fine.

Sure beats us sending gazillions of dollars to Tehran via clandestine cargo planes any day.

Edited by brickhistory
spelling
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, pilot said:

Bacevich fought in combat in Vietnam. He retired as an infantry Colonel. His son was killed in Afghanistan. Colonel Bacevich teaches history at Boston College, is devoutly Catholic and a conservative.

He's wrote several well-reasoned books that do a pretty good job explaining the dangers of continued American misconduct abroad.

You're the only one I see bringing up politics and Trump here.

Edited by LJDRVR
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, brickhistory said:

Say, Europe, Japan, et al, we, the US are net exporters of oil/energy now.  Other than the principal of freedom of navigation, the Straits are not nearly as important to us now as they are to you.

We'll put a few Patriot batteries in Saudi Arabia, y'all got the rest.  If it's important to you, you'll step up.  We can be fine "leading from behind" on this one.

The economic squeeze we are applying to the Mullahs and all the apparatus that relies on them for their cheap gas, pensions, etc, is working just fine.

Sure beats us sending gazillions of dollars to Tehran via clandestine cargo planes any day.

Sounds good in theory, but oil is a global market.  Supply goes down, price goes up... Regardless of where in the world the oil is extracted.