Security Clearance questions

PapaJu

I dug up my copy of my most recent clearance application. Here's the relevant text in bold:

Section 22: Police Record

For this item, report information regardless of whether the record in your case has been sealed, expunged, or

otherwise stricken from the court record, or the charge was dismissed. You need not report convictions under the

Federal Controlled Substances Act for which the court issued an expungement order under the authority of 21

U.S.C. 844 or 18 U.S.C. 3607. Be sure to include all incidents whether occurring in the U.S. or abroad.

For questions a and b, respond for the timeframe of the last 7 years (if an SSBI go back 10 years). Exclude any

fines of less than $300 for traffic offenses that do not involve alcohol or drugs.

You'll be fine. Also, be sure and make multiple copies of the application for your records. You'll need one when you fill out another SF-86 5 years from now, and they need you to list half of the shit all over again so they can investigate it again. Your tax dollars at work.

• 2 weeks later...
What kind of questions can I (and my references) expect in my character interview? Interview will be sometime before 18 Sept.

Stuff like...

"Have you ever masturbated in front of a mirror?"

And

"What is the capital of Vermont?"

But the concern is trustworthiness and honesty. So if you say no, make sure nobody has ever seen you masturbate in front of a mirror.

But my 3rd grade teacher and some kid that lived down the hall in my freshman dorm will definitely say that I know the capital of Vermont. I haven't known that in a few years, and I only knew it a handful of times... Think this will be a problem???

• 4 weeks later...

TLDR

You have to use small words around Rainman...

(Lengthy story ahead, skip ahead for condensed version)

I'm a college senior and I will be applying to OTS (for Pilot/WSO) as soon as I can after graduation.

Long story shortened:

A few years ago, I decided to transfer to a different university in a much larger city. The entry-level job market was (and is) ridiculously saturated and the cost of living ...

College senior wanting to apply to OTS (Pilot/WSO) after graduation. Had pretty good credit for years (two paid off car loans that were never late, various student loans that have never been late). Got two credit cards and stayed up to date with them for 2.5 years, but got in over my head with expenses and literally couldn't afford to make any payments on them for 5-6 months. One card got charged-off ($1034 total balance, which I am paying off in full now for the sake of it being reported as "charge-off paid in full"), the other card was 5 months due at one point but I got caught up on it and have been current ever since, and am almost done paying it off. Have I severely compromised my chances of obtaining proper security clearance to be a Pilot/WSO, or is it a situation that can be looked past with adequate explanation?

(By the way, I am aware (or at least have gathered the impression) that the process of obtaining a security clearance happens after being selected for OTS, not before. However, I'd still hate to get a slot and then lose it, so I'd just like some insight.)

I also have one more question, now that I think of it. In one of the earlier posts in this thread, I saw someone mention that you're required to list all of the jobs you've had, phone numbers, and supervisor names. I've had a handful of jobs that I worked for extremely short times (less than a month, and actually, it's not related to the debt issues above; it was back in the dorm days). I'd have no trouble finding the phone numbers, but I can't remember the names of the supervisors at all and I'm sure some of them don't even work at those places any more. What would be the best way to approach that? I also no-called, no-showed to a lot of those places. I know that's not the worst thing in the world and of course I'll tell the truth, but is that something that could make me look untrustworthy and jeopardize things?

Be honest on your forms and don't sugar-coat anything. Just tell it like it is and answer the questions honestly.

I'm not sure about how it functions with OTS, but that is rightly something to consider.

As for your jobs, that's not really much of concern. You can explain that your boss doesn't work there anymore and they are far more concerned with your conduct and reasons for leaving than whether or not a supervisor of 4 weeks liked you. the no-call, no-show thing may be problematic, so be up front about it and explain your reasonings (if applicable...if I was young and dumb was the reason, then just say "I offer no excuses for my conduct" and only explain if further queried)

Good luck

• 1 month later...

Scenario:

Individual is a government contractor who has an interim secret clearance. During processing of the paperwork to complete the final clearance, an investigator uncovers what he thinks is an intentional omission/misrepresentation in the paperwork. Feathers are ruffled; panties bunched; teeth gnashed; hands wrung, etc... Said individual has original documentation that proves the issue in question was suitably resolved.

Meetings are scheduled with the investigator who, naturally, thinks the individual must be a son/daughter of bin Laden.

The individual is not particularly worried, since the facts are easily provable. Yet, the atmosphere is decidedly unfriendly and unkind accusations have been made.

Question:

Is the individual entitled to any sort of representation, an advocate, or simply a witness to the proceedings? Do such entitlements vary based upon the organization one is in? The agency in question is USCIS.

The same question will be posed to the security manage on Monday, but I'm just looking for a cranium's up from those who have BTDT...

Thanks.

Tell the truth! Don't "forget" to include any details. Good luck.

Goes without saying.

Nothing was omitted, intentionally or otherwise. Rather, a credit report contains outdated information that contradicts the SF-86. Like I said, clear documentation exists that the issue was satisfactorily resolved. Yet, the investigator is acting like a douche.

It seems prudent to have another pair of eyes and ears in the room during the meeting, but I don't know if the rules provide for that?

Edited by kack911

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

Quick overview. Non-prior service, I was selected for a RPA pilot slot with the Air National Guard and just turned in my SF-86. I was born in the United Kingdom and became naturalized in 2008. I have a current UK passport which I have not used since I became a US citizen, and it expires this year. I need to acquire a Top Secret security clearance and have some questions/concerns for you guys.

I just turned 28 and need to be in training before I turn 30. I have read that most people that have dual citizenship that apply for secret/TS clearances have been denied right away for their interim and often have up to a two year waiting period to get full clearance. Does AMS require a full clearance completed before I attend or just an interim? If my interim is denied, Can I still get AMS dates before my full security clearance is done or do you only get dates when the security clearance is complete?

I might be overreacting, but I read up on dual citizenship and security clearances last night, and it seems they are giving out denials for most people with dual citizenship that are not willing to renounce their previous citizenship. I have no problems renouncing my UK citizenship, but do you think I'm going to have enough time to get cleared before I turn 30?

Any help would be much appreciated. I have reached out to several individuals, but have not heard back yet. I'd like to move as fast as possible with clearance, but I want to know now if it very unlikely that I will be cleared or make it in time, so I can rethink the situation.

Thanks guys.

I think you'll be fine. In my old RPA squadron we had a number of people who were born overseas or had other SF86 issues. I would expect for you to lose your UK passport and renounce your UK citizenship at some point in the process.

My bet is that they will put you through training, even without having your complete TS. You might have to sit around a few months after your done at the FTU until you can start flying missions though.

I would bring this up to your squadron commander, they should be able to push the application through the process quicker then you alone.

Hope that helps.

Edit: spelling is hard

Edited by Snuggie

Does AMS require a full clearance completed before I attend or just an interim? If my interim is denied, Can I still get AMS dates before my full security clearance is done or do you only get dates when the security clearance is complete?

I know that, due to a couple screw-ups not of my own, I went to AMS with my Secret clearance having just been opened, not finished, and, similarly, showed-up to UPT with my Top Secret in the same process. Didn't finish all the interviews and everything for TS until I had been on the T-6 flightline for a while. Apparently the rule of everyone having to have the TS, Guard included, didn't get implemented until a week or two after I was hired, so no one knew it was an issue until I tried to out-process from my unit two days before heading to UPT.

Granted, I am a US citizen by birth, but that is all to say that "there is hope?". Just get the process started as soon as possible, and see what happens.

• 1 month later...

My apologies if this was brought up previously, but the search function (and 15 min of reading old threads) did not work for me. Here's my situation:

I am a FAIP at Columbus who is supposed to PCS in a week and a half. I did not realize that my TS security clearance had expired (now it's only secret), and MPF says they will not let me outprocess until it is fixed. This has the potential to push my TDY dates back by months.

First off, I know, bad on me for not checking up on it earlier. I did not know the rules (this is my first renewal) and saw a bunch of my bros getting emails informing them when they were coming due and made the terrible assumption that I would get an email in advance of my clearance expiration.

I submitted all of the required paperwork (E-QIP questionnaire) this afternoon to get the process started. My question is this: Has anyone encountered a similar situation and still been able to outprocess? I'm scheduled to go to Little Rock TDY enroute before I go to Davis Monthan for my PCS. Little Rock only requires a secret clearance. Maybe they could change it from TDY enroute to a TDY out and back before I officially outprocess from Columbus?

Hey runnerdm6, you don't need a TS, you just need your reinvestigation started. Your outprocessing paperwork that requires a Security Manager signature should have that written pretty clearly some where so take a look for that and don't take MPF's word. If you already turned in a printed E-QIP to your wing security manager, that means they just have to review it and finalize it with you before they finalize and that is all that needs to happen in-order to PCS. They will give you a signed and finalized SF2586 and that is your ticket. Bottomline, MPF is not the authority on the status of your clearance, the Wing Security Manager signs off on letting you go, and they should do that once you have submitted your reinvestigation paperwork.

Even if you had tried to re-up it on your own, you would likely have run into the "It's cheaper to let it expire & redo it versus renew it every five years" argument that I heard from OPM. Besides, you're just a pilot, why the hell would any of us NEED to maintain TS...?

:banghead:

Edited by 10percenttruth

.... Besides, you're just a pilot, why the hell would any of us NEED to maintain TS?

:banghead:

Many communities & MDSs have TS requirements...AFSOC, AFGSC, AFMC, AMC, ACC, etc...and you'll need it for your staff/AOC tour. Get it as soon as you're able, and keep it updated...it's very useful outside the service, too!

My apologies if this was brought up previously, but the search function (and 15 min of reading old threads) did not work for me. Here's my situation:

I am a FAIP at Columbus who is supposed to PCS in a week and a half. I did not realize that my TS security clearance had expired (now it's only secret), and MPF says they will not let me outprocess until it is fixed. This has the potential to push my TDY dates back by months.

First off, I know, bad on me for not checking up on it earlier. I did not know the rules (this is my first renewal) and saw a bunch of my bros getting emails informing them when they were coming due and made the terrible assumption that I would get an email in advance of my clearance expiration.

I submitted all of the required paperwork (E-QIP questionnaire) this afternoon to get the process started. My question is this: Has anyone encountered a similar situation and still been able to outprocess? I'm scheduled to go to Little Rock TDY enroute before I go to Davis Monthan for my PCS. Little Rock only requires a secret clearance. Maybe they could change it from TDY enroute to a TDY out and back before I officially outprocess from Columbus?

Seeing how you have been at CBM for some time you should know your first mistake was assuming anything at the CBM MPF was correct. I make sure my house is stocked up on liquor before I attempt to do anything in that office. Ask to talk to the SSgt in charge in the back, very nice and the only person who has any clue what is going on.