Security Clearance questions

PapaJu

I last did my Secret clearance stuff when I was still in the Marines, in '02. I had a 2 1/2-year break in service (totally out of the military) between when I got out of the Marines and when I joined the AF - my Secret was still good, and JPAS has me as good-to-go until 2012.

Thanks for incorperating into the proper thread...and apologies...it might not have come up cause I put "inactive ready reserve" in the search query, or I just didn't see it (probably more likely)

I guess I'll make a call and ask them if the IRR "holds" it but I doubt it....bummer...the job would have been sweet!

Edited by FreudianSlip

• 2 months later...

I'm a TR at a reserve unit but am on AD orders in the NCR. I will have had my TS for 5 years in summer of 2010. I asked my unit security manager what I needed to do to start the process to get it revalidated. His e-mail response said I wouldn't need to do anything because the unit pays for the investigation and it's expensive so I will not be getting a revalidation for a top secret clearance.

I understand that TS investigations are expensive, but I wasn't aware that individual units paid for them. Can a unit security manager just determine that no one from the unit can apply to have their TS revalidated?

BR

• 1 month later...
Guest DavisF22

Hello,

I have a quick question about my TS clearence for the Pilot slot. I got the interview back in February and Still my clearence is pending. I've had issues with my first clearence because there were some things on my credit report that were incorrect so I had to meet with a guy and validate everything. Big Hassle. Anyway, Now I know that this guy went around interviewing people and he went to my childhood neighborhood. I had a great childhood sports pretty much year round. However my neighborhood is a very bad one. Drug dealers, Users, and all of the sorts. Also my brother didn't help the situation any. So I'm not sure if those individuals had the best things to say about my family. Also, we've had a few legal issues there but nothing that concerns me at all. Anyway, my concern is what should I do because I think the investigator may have gotten bad word over there because the people in my neighborhood don't really know me that well by my face. So it's possible they could think it was me doing something bad and not my brother.

The other reason I'm concerned is because when I was in about 6th grade I shot off a gun in the neighborhood on accident.(it was my brothers and I was playing with it, I know dumb). Anyway, the police came and I had to do community service. That's all I remember about it. I never went to court or anything and not even really sure if it's on my record. But I told the investigator about it and he seemed a little concerned asking me a lot of questions.

So basically I'm looking for some insight on why it could be taking so long and if I should be worried about getting the clearence.

Thanks

Don't sweat it. Here's the truth (and anyone speak up who thinks differently):

1. All clearances take a while; it doesn't matter how squeaky clean a person is.

2. The 6th grade incident should not be on your record. You were a minor, and it doesn't sound like much punitive action was taken.

3. You are not your neighborhood, your brother, etc. One of my best friends in college had several family members who had been in a lot of trouble with the law. But that wasn't him. He was a good kid who had made mistakes; but who doesn't. You can't help the environment in which you were raised, nor can you control the actions of others--family or not.

4. A lot of people have problems with their credit--especially these days. And it is a problem taken seriously throughout the military. Make sure you don't have any outstanding financial problems right now and continue to do so in the future.

5. If you lie about something or try to cover it, you're done. It sounds like you've disclosed everything and that's good. They would rather you have a storied past and disclose everything than if you made one mistake and tried to cover it.

BL: The guys who conduct these background checks do it as a living and take their jobs very seriously. You may someday be responsible with extremely sensitive information, and the DOD has to take every precaution to make sure you are worth the risk. Just continue on with life as normal, keep your nose clean, and the man will let you know at some point in time if there is a problem.

Cheers,

Varmint

Guest DavisF22

Yeah you guys are probably right. It just makes me kind of concerened. Because the investigator never went and spoke with my parents about my character or even gave them a call. Which I fugure would be the best judge of character(however biased) still it is the strongest. I dont' know if that can be interpreted as a good thing or a bad thing. Thank you for the responses.

Yeah you guys are probably right. It just makes me kind of concerened. Because the investigator never went and spoke with my parents about my character or even gave them a call. Which I fugure would be the best judge of character(however biased) still it is the strongest. I dont' know if that can be interpreted as a good thing or a bad thing. Thank you for the responses.

They never talked to my parents for my TS, so don't sweat it. These things take awhile, don't worry.

Guest DavisF22

yeah I may just be worried for no reason.It's probably just the fact that other's have already gotten their clearences and the investigator talked with their parents. so I'm just wondering what's the hold on mine. thanks for the reply's guys. Appreciate it.

Edited by DavisF22

yeah I may just be worried for no reason.It's probably just the fact that other's have already gotten their clearences so I'm just wondering what's the hold on mine. thanks for the reply's guys

Dude, the holdup is that you have:

1) a problem with your credit report (regardless of validity)

2) a weapons charge that you admitted to (regardless of juvenile)

3) family legal problems

4) your neighbors are drug dealers and they hate you.

You know all of this is a problem because you brought it up. Hell yes it will take longer to get your clearance. But you'll likely get it. You just have a shit ton of red flags that they need to further investigate and it will have to go to a higher bureaucratic level to get adjudicated. Now stop worrying.

I was fired from my job at the bookstore in college becuase I got mono thus missed a month of work. Becuase of that my clearance took well over a year with several follow up phone calls from my investigator. Stop wasting brain cells on this and just let it be, you will be fine.

• 7 months later...
Guest Mr.niceguy

Looking for some advice from everyone. I'm doing my Secret security clearance for a civilian contract company to take a job overseas and had some questions.

Long story short...stationed in korea, broke curfew last weekend there, ran from the base security forces when confroted, got arrested, got ARI, went to ADAPT...got LOR,UIF(those two never followed me to my next base) and no comm medal. I was supposed to PCS(fly out) monday and all this happened early sunday/really late saturday. Wish I was making this up.

Before I got out I had my shop chief call his buddy at security forces and check my record. He said my file was clean and nothing in it. I called my previous base Mental Health clinic and asked them about my record and they said that those files will eventually find they're way to some HQ or military records vault somewhere. I'm a little skeptical about my AF police record considering that this guy checked my record at my follow on base and not my previous base. Could my previous base police record have gotten forwarded somewhere like my ADAPT file?

My shop chief told me that since all this happened right as I was leaving korea, he figured that my commander just said screw it with forwarding my LOR & UIF to my next base. I actually had all my records with me sealed up(PIF,MED Records, etc) when this happened. I didn't get the standard Article 15 because my chief there told the CC that this wasn't a pattern of behavior and that I was a good airman.

Knowing I was going to have to fill out a SF-86 for a civilian job when I got out, I started asking some questions before I seperated. My shop chief told me that since all of this happened to me in the military that it didn't really count when it came to declaring this on a security background check. I think he meant that it's the military and they take care/disicpline their own. Would I be safe in not putting any of this down or would that be completely stupid of me. I'm just worried this could affect me getting my SC for my new job.

BTW, I know I sound like a complete dirtbag but this was my only f*** up in the 6 yrs I was in(damn soju).

Looking for some advice from everyone. I'm doing my Secret security clearance for a civilian contract company to take a job overseas and had some questions.

Long story short...stationed in korea, broke curfew last weekend there, ran from the base security forces when confroted, got arrested, got ARI, went to ADAPT...got LOR,UIF(those two never followed me to my next base) and no comm medal. I was supposed to PCS(fly out) monday and all this happened early sunday/really late saturday. Wish I was making this up.

Before I got out I had my shop chief call his buddy at security forces and check my record. He said my file was clean and nothing in it. I called my previous base Mental Health clinic and asked them about my record and they said that those files will eventually find they're way to some HQ or military records vault somewhere. I'm a little skeptical about my AF police record considering that this guy checked my record at my follow on base and not my previous base. Could my previous base police record have gotten forwarded somewhere like my ADAPT file?

My shop chief told me that since all this happened right as I was leaving korea, he figured that my commander just said screw it with forwarding my LOR & UIF to my next base. I actually had all my records with me sealed up(PIF,MED Records, etc) when this happened. I didn't get the standard Article 15 because my chief there told the CC that this wasn't a pattern of behavior and that I was a good airman.

Knowing I was going to have to fill out a SF-86 for a civilian job when I got out, I started asking some questions before I seperated. My shop chief told me that since all of this happened to me in the military that it didn't really count when it came to declaring this on a security background check. I think he meant that it's the military and they take care/disicpline their own. Would I be safe in not putting any of this down or would that be completely stupid of me. I'm just worried this could affect me getting my SC for my new job.

BTW, I know I sound like a complete dirtbag but this was my only f*** up in the 6 yrs I was in(damn soju).

As most of the posts in this thread have said, be completely honest. Even if they don't find it in your records, they will interview your past supervisors, etc. as well as acquaintances (at least some of which will probably know about "dude, Mr Niceguys last weekend in SK was awesome". The whole purpose of a security investigation is to determine your integrity and trustworthiness for classified. An overseas bender you will at least have a chance to explain; a lie on the form will 99% sink your application right then and there.

Guest Fed-BKG-Investg (ret.)

Dear Mr. niceguy,

first, there are no saints and no perfect people.

Read the SF-86 (July 2008 version) very carefully (very). Keep aware of the timelines (scope) that it ask. If any listed adverse information is there, go to page 17, Continuation Space, this page is your friend. I highly encourage folks to use it. In this space you can explain or elaborate on anything. Many clearances are denied for omissions, when if the item was listed (and covered) the clearance applicant would have been cleared from the get-go. Try not to listen to folks who advise you against listing anything that is required. I have witness too many times folks (good folks) get denied based on listening to a friend, supervisor, etc.

Hope this helps.

Jim Hennessey

Rockville,MD

Federal Background Investigator (ret).

• 2 months later...

Working through an SF 86 for a rehack, and due to the numerous changes am just redoing the whole form. Everything is good to go...I hope except I have a question about block 26 FINANCIAL RECORD

It asks questions a-p and all of them are answered no. However it states "Disclose all financial obligations, including those for which you are a cosigner or guarantor, on the following page."

But the way the form is set up it looks like they only want to know details about problematic debts (i.e. questions a-p)and whether it has been resolved or not.

Unlike when I did the form the first time with no debt whatsoever I have 2 loans currently; my career starter loan from USAA and my mortgage. That said I would like to know if I am supposed to list these even if the loans don't meet any of the red flag conditions previously mentioned? My gut instinct is no, but I don't want to jack up the form.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Working through an SF 86 for a rehack, and due to the numerous changes am just redoing the whole form. Everything is good to go...I hope except I have a question about block 26 FINANCIAL RECORD

It asks questions a-p and all of them are answered no. However it states "Disclose all financial obligations, including those for which you are a cosigner or guarantor, on the following page."

But the way the form is set up it looks like they only want to know details about problematic debts (i.e. questions a-p)and whether it has been resolved or not.

Unlike when I did the form the first time with no debt whatsoever I have 2 loans currently; my career starter loan from USAA and my mortgage. That said I would like to know if I am supposed to list these even if the loans don't meet any of the red flag conditions previously mentioned? My gut instinct is no, but I don't want to jack up the form.

Fill it out anyway. This is one of those rare instances where too much information on a government form is a good thing. Show you have nothing to hide=smoother process.

Working through an SF 86 for a rehack... But the way the form is set up it looks like they only want to know details about problematic debts (i.e. questions a-p)and whether it has been resolved or not.

Just throwing this out there... none of my debts met those conditions (defaulting, etc), so I didn't list them at all. Mine just went through, no problems. For a reference I have student loans and plenty of revolving credit card debt.

It couldn't be stated any clearer!

"Disclose all financial obligations, including those for which you are a cosigner or guarantor, on the following page!"

You have two loans, which are financial obligations, so list them!

Jeez! :banghead:

Just throwing this out there... none of my debts met those conditions (defaulting, etc), so I didn't list them at all. Mine just went through, no problems. For a reference I have student loans and plenty of revolving credit card debt.

Thanks good to know.

Fill it out anyway. This is one of those rare instances where too much information on a government form is a good thing. Show you have nothing to hide=smoother process.

I understand where you are coming from, but looking at the form and applying some logic(technique only) leads me to believe if they want people to list EVERY debt they have had in the past 7 years they would have put more than 4 spaces on the form. To me it seems like if you have had some financial hiccups this is were you get to alibi yourself.

My fear is listing anything on there is going to raise more red flags than not listing it since I am sure they will pull my credit report see that it is spotless with a score closer to 800 than 700 and then proceed to look for skeletons elsewhere.

Thanks for the responses though guys!

Edit:embedded forms to help clear things up

BaseOps.pdf

Edited by Magellan

It couldn't be stated any clearer!

"Disclose all financial obligations, including those for which you are a cosigner or guarantor, on the following page!"

You have two loans, which are financial obligations, so list them!

Jeez! :banghead:

M2 is actually wrong here. The instructions are clear and you do NOT need to list your mortgage and USAA loan. It explicitly says, "If you answered Yes on the previous page..." You answered No to every question. Read the directions in their entirety and things should be pretty clear on the forms.

I'll second what DFRESH said. I just went through this and got my clearance a month ago. I did not list any of my debts because none of them qualified under the list of questions.

Edited by mappleby

M2 is actually wrong here. The instructions are clear and you do NOT need to list your mortgage and USAA loan. It explicitly says, "If you answered Yes on the previous page..." You answered No to every question. Read the directions in their entirety and things should be pretty clear on the forms.

I'll second what DFRESH said. I just went through this and got my clearance a month ago. I did not list any of my debts because none of them qualified under the list of questions.

At first I thought like M2 did...it was cut and dry any financial obligation must be listed, but then on the next page it said I didn't. Unsure of which case it was I searched google which didn't help and then figured the crew here was sure to have a thread talking about stuff like this.

At the end of the day I think you could argue the semantics both ways, but I found out what I needed to know. Not listing them shouldn't hold up my reinvestigation.

Thanks.

Edited by Magellan

I saw a recent investigation get delayed because someone listed ALL debts in that section, not just the ones they were late on.

If omitting something makes you nervous, you could always list all debts, then explain in the remarks section at the end of the SF86 that you're current on all debts but were unsure of the interpretation of those instructions. Most people seem afraid to put remarks on their form. Plain English is always helpful. 2-3 sentences can often save a month or two of delays while the investigator has to figure out the whole story after seeing a potential red flag.

quick caveat... depending on the situation and level of clearance, you might have to meet with an investigator... I did, and we verbally went over the debts section and there were no hiccups, and although I didn't have to check any yes containers for the debts page, I know my score was significantly less than 700.