Security Clearance questions

PapaJu

M2 is actually wrong here. The instructions are clear and you do NOT need to list your mortgage and USAA loan. It explicitly says, "If you answered Yes on the previous page..." You answered No to every question. Read the directions in their entirety and things should be pretty clear on the forms.

I'll second what DFRESH said. I just went through this and got my clearance a month ago. I did not list any of my debts because none of them qualified under the list of questions.

Yep, based on the information later provided, my advice was incorrect; but based on what Magellan posted in his earlier posts, it would have been the appropriate course of action.

The bottom line is if he had read the entire instructions, it would have been clear that it said to list anything answered with 'yes' in the previous questions (26a-p). Magellan did not include that, which made the difference; but I will stick to the advice that when in doubt, include whatever information you can. Failure to do so has much greater ramifications than including information that they don't need.

Flags are raised when there is information missing, not too much of it!

• 1 year later...

I should have lived in the US for ten years by the time I apply, but will they want to go further back since I was not born here? I am worried that it is going to be extremely difficult for me to track down a lot of my information and it will take me a long time to get any if it is available. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I wasn't born in the US either, so it's nothing to worry about it. Just do your best to include as much info on your application as possible, and be sure not to omit any negative information that may apply...

Cheers! M2

• Upvote 1

We had a problem with someone in my Sq who had a dual citizenship...I think he had to renounce his non-US citizenship, but I'm not 100% sure. You may want to look into it if it is a factor in your case.

We had the same thing happen to a couple Airmen in my SQ, they had Kuwaiti and American citizenship with Secret clearances. When they were going up for TS, they had to renounce their Kuwaiti citizenship.

I wasn't born in the US either, so it's nothing to worry about it. Just do your best to include as much info on your application as possible, and be sure not to omit any negative information that may apply...

Cheers! M2

Thanks. It says it goes back ten years or to when I was 18, whichever is shorter. Well, there is not much separation between me and 18, so will they only run a background check for the last year or so? That makes it a lot easier if that is the case. I do not know if I have any negative information, other than I was born in a dirty commie country.

Just tell them it is too difficult to track down the info they want. Should be no problem.

Nothing bad could possibly happen.

We had a problem with someone in my Sq who had a dual citizenship...I think he had to renounce his non-US citizenship, but I'm not 100% sure. You may want to look into it if it is a factor in your case.

I was adopted, so I am a naturalized citizen. Everything is pretty normal, but if they want to go back ten years, I am not sure how to get them contact info for people that knew me there.

All you need are names and last known addresses. The investigators are pretty good about tracking down your references.

I had an investigator call me trying to schedule an interview for a bro getting his TS. Long story short, we arranged a meeting at the base library. After waiting for 45 minutes I called to ask WTF she was, to which she replied "I'm at the library." Turns out she was the base library from my old duty station...awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

'Fess up. "I forgot," or "I didn't know I needed to write that down back then," or whatever now, but getting "outed" after the fact is always (nearly anyway) than admitting it yourself. The intent is to show you are trustworthy. Lieing from the get go pretty much answers the basic question of that.

Ok, so I know I'm reviving a thread thats better left dead and gone but i just gotta ask..

When I enlisted a few years ago I declared that I used MJ a handful of times and I put it on my AF 2030, no biggie.

but now that I'm up for my TS investigation I'm starting to feel like there may be "hiccups" along the way. everyone has just said "BE HONEST" wich I completely understand and is what I intend to do, but What If *hypothetically* being 100% truthful with the investigator somewhat contradicts what I put down when I enlisted? I just want to get some input because I'm certainly not trying to pull any funny business, Im just trying to get my TS and move on...

You know, lots of people used MJ during his life. But he is dead now so just let it go.

• Upvote 1

It really depends on what the "fess up" info is versus what you told them the first time. But hiding info that they uncover later will only hurt you in the long run. I recently inadvertantly left off some info that has been on every security app I have ever submitted (more than 6, including the last one 5 years ago). It became a huge point of contention even though I could point to every previous questionnaire that had the info. Ultimately, I was able to bolster my contention that this was just an oversight.

• 5 months later...

I just read every post in this thread to try to find an answer to my question, before posting, so I wouldn't get burned haha.

At what point in time does a pilot select in the guard fill out their SF-86? I know they're hired for the next fiscal year, that's why i'm wondering. Any input from recently hired guys would be appreciated.

I just read every post in this thread to try to find an answer to my question, before posting, so I wouldn't get burned haha.

At what point in time does a pilot select in the guard fill out their SF-86? I know they're hired for the next fiscal year, that's why i'm wondering. Any input from recently hired guys would be appreciated.

Don't sweat it. The fact that you are concerned about it and that you will likely be asked about it when you first arrive on station leads me to believe you'll continue to follow up on it.

Nothing prevents you from filling it out now and having it ready when they ask for it. Good luck

Didn't fill my out until getting to my UPT base.

Didn't fill my out until getting to my UPT base.

Interesting, it seems like these things are handled in accordance with the hiring unit, so it's probably going to depend on how the unit has always done things. I ask because in a conversation with two pilot selects, one AD the other Guard, this varied. I wasn't sure if you could just skip it all together until you were done with UPT?.. but then I guess that wouldn't do much good, learning the weapon systems and other sensitive material, or whatnot.

Interesting, it seems like these things are handled in accordance with the hiring unit, so it's probably going to depend on how the unit has always done things. I ask because in a conversation with two pilot selects, one AD the other Guard, this varied. I wasn't sure if you could just skip it all together until you were done with UPT?.. but then I guess that wouldn't do much good, learning the weapon systems and other sensitive material, or whatnot.

This is what I've heard: AMS - initial background check must reveal no major issues / UPT - Secret Clearance required / RTU - Top Secret required. (However, looks like gbu24loaders experience doesn't support that.) I'd speak with your SQ's Security Manager.

There really shouldn't be a difference. Just fill out the paperwork when asked. Unless there is something you are worried about that happened about nine years ago that will fall off the radar in the next year. If that's the case then I don't know what to tell you, except tell the truth and good luck.

Unless there is something you are worried about that happened about nine years ago that will fall off the radar in the next year. If that's the case then I don't know what to tell you, except tell the truth and good luck.

Uh oh...

There really shouldn't be a difference. Just fill out the paperwork when asked. Unless there is something you are worried about that happened about nine years ago that will fall off the radar in the next year. If that's the case then I don't know what to tell you, except tell the truth and good luck.

haha okay. It's nothing like that, no need to get bent out of shape. I'm not sweatin' a thing..

edited for wording

Edited by gateway

haha okay. It's nothing like that, no need to get bent out of shape. I'm not sweatin' a thing..

He said with a nervous laugh.

• 5 months later...

Hey guys,

I'm sure this is not a big deal, but I thought Id ask anyway. I am just about to fill out and send in the SF-86 for my clearance. As my luck would have it, I got my first speeding ticket last friday (Taking the STOP class on 8 Sep.) on our way back from flying at my buddy's farm. Like I said, I am sure having one speeding ticket is NOT going to be an issue, I just wonder if it being so recent will raise any flags for the investigators? I assume it shouldn't make a difference but you never know with the fed, so I wanted to throw it out there.

Thanks