Commanders are dropping like flies this year

MDDieselPilot

13 hours ago, 08Dawg said:

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/04/08/maintenance-squadron-commander-removed-dyess-air-force-base.html

AMXS commander fired at Dyess. Wonder what the story is here?  She’d already commanded the AMXS at Minot before this. 

And she was on the back half of this command tour already.  I know there were a lot of MX folks who weren't thrilled with her leadership...but then, few in the maintenance field are happy with their jobs, their leadership, or their quality of life...so I'm not sure what she did that was so far outside the norms.

The Dyess situation is toxic, not to mention the IG is under the scope as well.  Not surprised

Do you have any more info about the IG?  I was there for the last three years of my tour at Dyess, but left last summer.  The new IG who came in last summer was a good dude that I've known for a long time, and the director of complaints has been there for something like 18 years.

On 4/9/2021 at 10:54 AM, pawnman said:

And she was on the back half of this command tour already.  I know there were a lot of MX folks who weren't thrilled with her leadership...but then, few in the maintenance field are happy with their jobs, their leadership, or their quality of life...so I'm not sure what she did that was so far outside the norms.

Do you have any more info about the IG?  I was there for the last three years of my tour at Dyess, but left last summer.  The new IG who came in last summer was a good dude that I've known for a long time, and the director of complaints has been there for something like 18 years.

For reference/anecdote

On 4/9/2021 at 10:54 AM, pawnman said:

MX is not for a person who is sensitive and needs time outs. To be successful you have find your own way of personal accomplishment. The guys who are good and the ones who make the schedule happen are treated like rented mules. The ones who get the recognition suck in mx but are allowed to do all the things that will make them perfumed E-9s. Just keep them away from the flight line so they don't screw us up. I don't envy a MX Sq CC, her senior enlisted leadership E-9's probably did not give her the support or loyalty needed to be successful. Since those E-9's are part of a culture of only looking out for themselves and were trying to become super E-9's instead of supporting  the mission of the Sq. If I was the incoming SQCC I would clean house and made sure these guys had the EPR's to match being a POS. Seek out the guys always wearing coveralls, who's suede boots are black and have a talk with them. The B-1 is the most MX intense jet there is in the inventory, you need good mechanics not flashlight holders.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:

Any specifics on why he was fired?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought I remember reading that it was a substantiated allegation of frat but I don’t remember where I read that and I may be wrong. 

One of the U.S. Air Force's B-1B bombers that took part in a historic deployment to Norway earlier this year suffered significant engine damage while in that country in a mishap that has not been previously reported. That incident is directly linked to a decision by the leadership of the 7th Bomb Wing at Dyess Air Force Base in Texas to relieve a maintenance squadron commander there "due to loss of confidence" in their ability to command.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/40209/a-b-1b-bomber-suffered-significant-engine-damage-while-deployed-to-norway

Oof. So they relieved a commander because some crew chief left their iPad in the inlet and the aircrew didn't spot it on the walk around? 

Or the maintainers propped it up there after the crew hopped up inside. It’s happened with a mx laptop in the wheel well of a different global strike platform within the last few years.

Oof. So they relieved a commander because some crew chief left their iPad in the inlet and the aircrew didn't spot it on the walk around? 

I mean... a maintenance cc per the article. Trickle down effect and root cause - MX leadership sets the tone for the culture for the young guys. Hopefully the individual(s) who actually left the iPad there get action too... but far too often we blame only the young maintainers when it is the leadership that is toxic and causing the problems and allowing mishaps like that to happen. Sucks either way.

6 hours ago, passingtime69 said:

Rumor mill is not one, but two instances of dating or other relations with enlisted/way younger officers while not yet divorced; also, conveniently timed to cover up his practice of hiring bias based on race. #gowokegobroke

There are currently many senior leaders who do that, affirmative action at its’ finest.  I would hate to be hired for a job I believe I earned due to my skin color.  Kind of goes against the whole MLK vision for not seeing people based on their skin color but character, you know the rest. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, passingtime69 said:

I mean... a maintenance cc per the article. Trickle down effect and root cause - MX leadership sets the tone for the culture for the young guys. Hopefully the individual(s) who actually left the iPad there get action too... but far too often we blame only the young maintainers when it is the leadership that is toxic and causing the problems and allowing mishaps like that to happen. Sucks either way.

Maybe...but we don't generally relieve flying squadron commanders after a "pilot error" Class A mishap.  There's gotta be more to the story than a single iPad ingested by an engine off-station.

51 minutes ago, pawnman said:

Maybe...but we don't generally relieve flying squadron commanders after a "pilot error" Class A mishap.  There's gotta be more to the story than a single iPad ingested by an engine off-station.

or when a pilot dies on a flight he shouldn't have been on in the first place (see Meat 44..someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

I wonder if it has anything to do with the “not previously reported” part of the article. Either there’s a trend item or a failure to report.

12 minutes ago, MechGov said:

Cant wait to hear details...

WORST officer I have ever run across in 21 + 12 years in and around Big Blue.  Would've fit right in with the worst of the "What's Wrong with the Air Force" thread.

But, since it's not a public information release like a commander being formally relieved, I will respect privacy issues.

But when you are disappeared over a weekend from your office and given three months to "prepare for an upcoming PCS" to a non-command base-level job, I'm pretty sure it's over.  Certainly hope so.  And hope that getting fired stares him in the face every day until the final one.

Still, the association caused me to re-evaluate my life and decide to retire at age 56.  Not all bad came from it.

Adios, indeed, MF'er.  Adios indeed...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, passingtime69 said:

I've seen out there in the MX world when a MX Sq CC over corrects and starts giving out Art 15's for any misstep. Gets to the point where MX stops because no one wants to put their name in the 781 forms. Plus the whole QA culture has always been adversarial with the working troops. One QA write up not wearing your reflective belt or not having a laptop T.O. open to the task your doing no matter how mundane is how petty it gets. During engine runs or launches all tools should be secured including laptops, I never had it opened when pilots were in the seats. 

WORST officer I have ever run across in 21 + 12 years in and around Big Blue.  Would've fit right in with the worst of the "What's Wrong with the Air Force" thread.
But, since it's not a public information release like a commander being formally relieved, I will respect privacy issues.
But when you are disappeared over a weekend from your office and given three months to "prepare for an upcoming PCS" to a non-command base-level job, I'm pretty sure it's over.  Certainly hope so.  And hope that getting fired stares him in the face every day until the final one.
Still, the association caused me to re-evaluate my life and decide to retire at age 56.  Not all bad came from it.
Adios, indeed, MF'er.  Adios indeed...

Definitely need to figure out a name for this one...

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

10 hours ago, brickhistory said:

Doesn't make the headlines when a complete douche is fired from a MAJCOM staff job, but just as satisfying knowing that the end of the road finally arrived.

AMF...

Granted mine wasn’t a high power staff job, but holy hell, you really gotta be smokin the tires to get fired from a MAJCOM staff desk.

Especially in the current market.

or when a pilot dies on a flight he shouldn't have been on in the first place (see Meat 44..someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

Threw this in to the google and no returns. Details?

1 minute ago, Bode said:

Threw this in to the google and no returns. Details?

Shaw Viper last summer...AIB link is in that thread, but:

"Evidence also indicates the MP was not fully engaged on the challenges of flying a night instrument approach due to his unsuccessful attempt to conduct his first ever AAR at night, which is not allowed by Air Force regulations."