Commanders are dropping like flies this year

MDDieselPilot

Kinda symptomatic of how the Air Force develops officers and it shows what promotion boards value. Just about every O-6/CC bio you see is one or two ops tours, then school this, fellowship that, exec to blah blah blah...a periodic touch and go back to flying to punch the DO or Sq/CC card, then more school...on and on. Flying skill and tactical competency does not seem to be valued when grooming for O-6, hence, the 2200 hr Wg/CC. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Danger41 said:

My community is a great example of a few guys with a crap ton of combat time and air medals that don’t have very good tactical credibility. 

Check yourself. If everyone around you lacks credibility, who might really? You’ve been $h1t-talking your community for years and it’s tiresome. Maybe you’re concerned that you’re not as cool as you think you are, but if you throw enough bros under the bus you might pad your ego enough to get there. Talk about toxic.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

36 minutes ago, K_O said:

Check yourself. If everyone around you lacks credibility, who might really? You’ve been $h1t-talking your community for years and it’s tiresome. Maybe you’re concerned that you’re not as cool as you think you are, but if you throw enough bros under the bus you might pad your ego enough to get there. Talk about toxic.

I read exactly the opposite of what you wrote. Danger is highly respected in his community. And he’s not shit talking anything. Chill out. 

Performing a special duty right now in a non flying wing.  My wing king sends out daily read files nobody reads. Nobody has the balls to tell him to send it once a month. You lose your audience because it's redundant sending it everyday. That includes the weekend because I see it pop up on my government phone. #Really?

At PT, he is the douchebag telling folks to go harder when he isn't actually doing the exercises at all. Just walking around. (I don't have to attend PT FYI)

For some reason this dude thinks the winners at Wing quarterly award ceremonies should do push ups as a group. Never seen that one before, especially when he  has T-Rex arms and cheats. 

He gives pop quizzes at staff meetings over AF priorities. I'm like dude, this is a training Wing. You're supposed to be focused on training and supplying more people period. 

He created a "Wing exercise." These fools were "deployed" and charged a fake base. Ever seen a bunch of support officers not have a clue? When does the AF of all branches charge or overtake another base in any combat situation? I think people in support roles want to play war, but have zero clue about what it takes. I've watched a lot of ops go down. I have seen pilots break down in tears after the mission because a ground guy was injured or an IED went off on a convoy. 

I was mentoring an E who is trying to become an officer. We concluded that certain leaders breed the same type of people as them. This is why the promotion system has hit a wall. People get some power and lose all common sense. You can't tell them anything. Like hello, the dorms need to be fixed. Screw your $25M project that doesn't serve anyone on base and that HQ had to tell him "hell no." 

Edited by 2Exy

45 minutes ago, MooseAg03 said:

HarleyQuinn? Or whatever your name was, is that you? Sure seems very similar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah pretty sure it’s him (previous Shazam too).  He’s over in the Promotion thread posting his awesome strats and wondering why he didn’t get picked up for O-5.  Any over/under on how long it takes before he goes full retard again and gets banned?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MooseAg03 said:

HarleyQuinn? Or whatever your name was, is that you? Sure seems very similar...

Let’s examine the clues:

- posts about his own mentorship prowess 

- posts his own strats 

- works at a non-flying training wing & is clearly better than everyone else

- dumb enough to think changing a screen name but keeping same life details & writing style will fool us all.

I think you’ve cracked this case.

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, 2Exy said:

Performing a special duty right now in a non flying wing.  My wing king sends out daily read files nobody reads. Nobody has the balls to tell him to send it once a month. You lose your audience because it's redundant sending it everyday. That includes the weekend because I see it pop up on my government phone. #Really?

At PT, he is the douchebag telling folks to go harder when he isn't actually doing the exercises at all. Just walking around. (I don't have to attend PT FYI)

For some reason this dude thinks the winners Wing quarterly award ceremonies should do push ups as a group. Never seen that one before, especially when you have T-Rex arms and you cheat. 

He gives pop quizzes at staff meetings over AF priorities. I'm like dude, this is a training Wing. You're supposed to be focused on training and supplying more people period. 

He created a "Wing exercise." These fools were "deployed" and charged a fake base. Ever seen a bunch of support officers not have a clue? When does the AF of all branches charge or overtake another base in any combat situation? I think people in support roles want to play war, but have zero clue about what it takes. I've watched a lot of ops go down. I have seen pilots break down in tears after the mission because a ground guy was injured or an IED went off on a convoy. 

I was mentoring an E who is trying to become an officer. We concluded that certain leaders breed the same type of people as them. This is why the promotion system has hit a wall. People get some power and lose all common sense. You can't tell them anything. Like hello, the dorms need to be fixed. Screw your $25M project that doesn't serve anyone on base and that HQ had to tell him "hell no." 

Sounds like SOS! Flex anyone? Remember that gay “sport”? Your Wing King sounds like a tool.  Tell him people like him are the reason we have a retention problem. 

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, 2Exy said:

I'm just venting. I told the GP/CC and his Chief basically they need to fix a big problem. We have an additional duty almost like SOF. But for whatever reason, only SNCOs and officers can do it. Why not allow your CCs to use MSgt selects or hand selected NCOs as they deem fit? Group leadership just needs to approve those members for said duty. Just like everyone can't do SOF. I told Group leadership if we are going to receive less MSgts and more NCOs in the coming months.  "It is not about where the ball is at right now, but where the ball is going to be." Like getting ahead of your jet! The Deputy GP/CC agreed with me. 

I can only say it's a Training Wing where I notice people don't make decisions. They need a group of officers to all agree which makes sense at times.  I tell them nobody flies my jet but me. In the flying world you don't need the CC or GP/CC all up in your aircraft. Give me the stick/yoke and watch the outcome. 

I've been to Beale and I can tell you a lot of what I know about training came from leadership there like Gen Stewart, Col Lee, and Col Hoffman. One of the DV tours I had to give more recently, Col Clark from the 9 RW was on it. 

You have a SOF (supervisor of flying*) at a non flying wing? Did I read that correctly...?

5 hours ago, dream big said:

You have a SOF (supervisor of flying*) at a non flying wing? Did I read that correctly...?

No sir. I tried to compare the additional duty for my Training Wing to the additional duty of SOF. In ACC you hand select SOFs from Capt up to Lt Col. I told my leadership you should be able to hand select NCOs and MSgt selects to perform a certain additional duty they have to perform. My apologies for not being very clear in my original post. 

Edited by 2Exy

Ahhhhhh Training Wings, sounds like they haven’t gotten any better but a bit worse perhaps. Not all, maybe...
Definitely the person in charge or who isn’t checked sets the tone. I am rooting for ya’ll, and hopefully when folks head or return to their War Wings/Squadrons they get the focus they deserve. 

Don’t feed the troll unless you’re trying to get him to epically melt down again.

2Exy = Shazam = HarleyQuinn and is a useless nobody.
  • Upvote 2

I realize they canned the OG, but I didn’t realize the two O6s at Columbus had a total of 0 Air Medals between them. 

That make sense for the two highest ranking pilots in charge of training military pilots.

I guess that’s the Air Force in a nutshell. Combat experience is only one line on an OPR. Brian Regan has a bit about the wrong emphasis on the wrong syllable.

• Like 1

Not related to a commander getting fired but I was on Talent Marketplace looking at Ops Officer billets.

Have some OSS leadership billets always been sourced from Airfield Ops in the past? My little corner of the USAF (AFSOC) I’ve seen nothing but rated folks.

I guess it makes sense because where else is a 13M going to command?

• Upvote 1

Not related to a commander getting fired but I was on Talent Marketplace looking at Ops Officer billets.

Have some OSS leadership billets always been sourced from Airfield Ops in the past? My little corner of the USAF (AFSOC) I’ve seen nothing but rated folks.

I haven’t personally seen it having spent the last 7 yrs at either UPT bases or AMC

18 hours ago, Reserve said:

I realize they canned the OG, but I didn’t realize the two O6s at Columbus had a total of 0 Air Medals between them. 

That make sense for the two highest ranking pilots in charge of training military pilots.

I guess that’s the Air Force in a nutshell. Combat experience is only one line on an OPR. Brian Regan has a bit about the wrong emphasis on the wrong syllable.

I think the AF downplaying combat experience is a result of those officers who are butt hurt about their job. They deploy, sit inside the wire, and still get holidays off I've noticed. People think air medals are more prestigious. We tend to earn more medals during the same deployment period as a non-flyer. 

Wow, I’m late to the fight but have to throw in my 2 cents. I worked directly for Combo during her time as the ATG/CC. I never heard a raised voice or saw any of the issues you guys cite. She was a competent, professional leader of a very diverse group.

I’ll also add to the comments that combat time is occasionally a function of timing and luck. When the war kicked off, my squadron was being shut down and we were denied any opportunity to deploy. I volunteered again in my next two squadrons, but the CC wouldn’t let people go - it would have left him short handed. I got to augment the Army and picked up a BSM, but no air medals. 

• Upvote 2

On 1/12/2020 at 12:00 PM, Skitzo said:

Have some OSS leadership billets always been sourced from Airfield Ops in the past? My little corner of the USAF (AFSOC) I’ve seen nothing but rated folks

If i recall correctly 13Ms had 3 SQ command billets since 2013/2014ish possibly earlier. 2 ops as mentioned and the schoolhouse. One of the OSS’ was in the midwest and the other west coast? Don’t quote me.

When i was in, 13Ms that pinned O-6 usually went MSG for their command opportunity.