Commanders are dropping like flies this year

MDDieselPilot

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/aug/25/charges-against-tech-sgt-keith-a-snyder-dismissed/

Remember this coat hanger abortion of a trial ...errr, witch hunt?  I have zero faith I would ever get a fair trail should I find myself in a military court...especially if accused of any one of the hot button flavors of the week. 

Edited by SocialD
My typin' is terrible...
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, pawnman said:

Do you really think this group of camel jockeys with AK-47s poses the same kind of existential threat to the US as Nazi Germany?

Existential threat? Depends on how nuanced you want to make the definition. 

Can the camel jockeys stand toe-to-toe with the US and threaten our existence in a straight up fight? No.

Can the camel jockeys drain our treasuries and bankrupt our economy? Possibly. Afghanistan has been previously referred to as ‘where empires go to die’.

1 hour ago, SocialD said:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/aug/25/charges-against-tech-sgt-keith-a-snyder-dismissed/

Remember this coat hanger abortion of a trial ...errr, witch hunt?  I have zero faith I would ever get a fair trail should I find myself in a military court...especially if accused of any one of the hot button flavors of the week. 

That convening authority should've been fired for that.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Bigred said:

Existential threat? Depends on how nuanced you want to make the definition. 

Can the camel jockeys stand toe-to-toe with the US and threaten our existence in a straight up fight? No.

Can the camel jockeys drain our treasuries and bankrupt our economy? Possibly. Afghanistan has been previously referred to as ‘where empires go to die’.

Yeah... Because empires keep going there.  We should learn the lesson and leave.

22 hours ago, Sua Sponte said:

Gallagher's brother wrote a pretty scathing opinion piece.

https://www.navytimes.com/opinion/2019/11/27/op-ed-navy-corruption-and-the-gallagher-case/

Wanted to say thanks for posting this.  I've not followed it closely, but enough to know the prosecution screwed up and he got off.  The details the brother provides is perfectly inline with what I've seen military "justice" be in my Sq leadership days.  I was blind to the nuances of the case, and appreciate the kick to the ass.

Telling officers they can't punish someone who's only accused of a crime and having to argue that fact is becoming tiresome.  I don't know if we need more training on what the Constitution actually is, more time with the JAG or something else.  Trying to explain to someone that a Courts Martial panel isn't the same thing as a jury is also mind blowing.  The training we provide to Commanders is morally reprehensible for the power they wield, exponentially so if they've been away from the lower ranks for years.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

"Fired Air Force Academy Commandant Plans to File Complaint:"

"The former commandant of cadets at the  Air Force Academy intends to file an Article 138 redress of wrongs complaint under the Uniform Code of Military Justice in coming weeks to remedy her removal from the position, according to her lawyer."

"The IG noted that between June 2017 and November 2018, six out of 19 trips that Goodwin took had instances of improper use of taxpayer dollars while renting cars or booking airfare, and included layovers or stops to conduct personal business during official work trips.

The unnecessary expenses totaled $5,367, according to the IG.

Youngner said Goodwin has since reimbursed the government, and said it was up to her staff -- "who let her down" -- to make wise financial choices, including travel."

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/12/04/fired-air-force-academy-commandant-plans-file-complaint.html

"The former commandant of cadets at the  Air Force Academy intends to file an Article 138 redress of wrongs complaint under the Uniform Code of Military Justice in coming weeks to remedy her removal from the position, according to her lawyer."
"The IG noted that between June 2017 and November 2018, six out of 19 trips that Goodwin took had instances of improper use of taxpayer dollars while renting cars or booking airfare, and included layovers or stops to conduct personal business during official work trips.
Youngner said Goodwin has since reimbursed the government, and said it was up to her staff -- "who let her down" -- to make wise financial choices, including travel."
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/12/04/fired-air-force-academy-commandant-plans-file-complaint.html

Yeah totally wasn’t her. It was the fault of those worthless people she was tasked to lead. Has she played the lesbian card yet? Probably could get more traction there.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, waveshaper said:

"

That statement tells me everything I need to know. What a piece of shit. 

Edited by viper154
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 6

On 12/4/2019 at 4:53 PM, waveshaper said:

Buddy of mine was trying to take leave in conjunction with a trip.  DTS and CTO threw all kinds of fits.  She was made aware...she just didn't care.

Buddy of mine was trying to take leave in conjunction with a trip.  DTS and CTO threw all kinds of fits.

Why? Taking leave in conjunction with official travel shouldn't be a problem, just need to make sure the accounting/expensing is done right. Don't receive per diem for leave days, pay for your rental car on leave days, and pay any additional cost on airfare incurred by the delayed return. Easy.
  • Upvote 2

On 12/9/2019 at 12:03 AM, jazzdude said:

Why? Taking leave in conjunction with official travel shouldn't be a problem, just need to make sure the accounting/expensing is done right. Don't receive per diem for leave days, pay for your rental car on leave days, and pay any additional cost on airfare incurred by the delayed return. Easy.

You make it sound like DTS and CTO have this process clearly defined with an easy guide and approachable help via phone, email or chat.

• Upvote 3

On 12/9/2019 at 12:03 AM, jazzdude said:

During my younger days while stationed in Alaska, Leave in conjunction with a TDY, was invaluable when headed to the lower 48 for the Sim. Having the Leave approved, and then visiting CTO office to tailor my ticket was pretty painless. Just make sure your amended travel wasn’t more expensive than original cost.

On 12/9/2019 at 12:45 AM, 17D_guy said:

Buddy of mine was trying to take leave in conjunction with a trip.  DTS and CTO threw all kinds of fits.  She was made aware...she just didn't care.

I guess .... I don’t really know what your buddy expected her to do about it?  I’d expect my boss to tell me to “figure it out” too...

You’ll find that GOs rarely, if ever, have answers - let alone the power (Or intestinal fortitude) to sweep away problems all by themselves. They want solutions, on a platter. They’re so busy they only have time to process and decide, they don’t do the work, fix the thing, write the email, etc. The staffs do. GOs endorse, present, champion, award, coord on, etc etc. Asking for engagement better benefit the organization (or them) somehow, or it’ll die on the vine. 

I'm not being critical - I’m trying to highlight how you work the bureaucracy for your own interest. 

Im also not endorsing this particular GOs actions... simply telling it how it is.

Chuck

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Chuck17 said:

I guess .... I don’t really know what your buddy expected her to do about it?  I’d expect my boss to tell me to “figure it out” too...

You’ll find that GOs rarely, if ever, have answers - let alone the power (Or intestinal fortitude) to sweep away problems all by themselves. They want solutions, on a platter. They’re so busy they only have time to process and decide, they don’t do the work, fix the thing, write the email, etc. The staffs do. GOs endorse, present, champion, award, coord on, etc etc. Asking for engagement better benefit the organization (or them) somehow, or it’ll die on the vine. 

I'm not being critical - I’m trying to highlight how you work the bureaucracy for your own interest. 

Im also not endorsing this particular GOs actions... simply telling it how it is.

Chuck

I did GO travel support before, and enough staff time to know how the whole thing works.  I also know when doing those the GO's I worked for were great leaders, and worked hard to make sure they were within the rules.

I was always happy to help the boss out when they're in a bind (card not working)...but there wasn't a personality issue, and the GO's never expected me to do it.  I'm guessing that's different here?  I don't know.  I just know this seems to be catching a lot of "leaders" these days.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 17D_guy said:

I just know this seems to be catching a lot of "leaders" these days.

So much so that in various forums with senior GOs (of all branches) during my year in school, I heard many a GO state emphatically that the most important thing to do as a leader is to do the right thing. Moreover, they all stated that character was the single most important quality to possess as a leader. I know we occasionally impugn social media, but the instant spotlighting of poor behavior is seemingly having a correcting result on those who either lost their way or were never on the right path ethically from the get-go. No longer can bad actors hide behind the bureaucracy.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...