Commanders are dropping like flies this year

MDDieselPilot

24 minutes ago, pawnman said:

To think that guys like this made O-6 and I got passed over for O-5...

The system is imperfect. To that point, not only did he make O-6, but he was BPZ for O-5 and O-6. It makes one wonder if there were signs that were missed or ignored along the way. 

• Like 1

On 10/8/2019 at 9:09 PM, Duck said:

Congrats Evil! Thanks for stepping up. I know it can be a thankless job but the good ones have impacts further than they know!

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

"preciate that Duck.  I'm glad I got the opportunity.  Bittersweet to have it in the rear view.  

• 1 month later...

Goodness. Love how she immediately goes to the “I had to deal with homophobia... not fair... not my fault...” bullshit. You screwed up and got caught. You seem like a $hitty leader and the people who you were charged to lead ended up stabbing you in the back while you were stepping on their heads to get to the top. How in the hell do we promote dipshits like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

She’s a she. Guessing she wasn’t a good pilot or leader. It was entirely her being a her in an age where it is important to claim we are diverse fighting force. And after it became ok to be gay in the military the military wants to promote the diversity lie even more. And she goes further towards the top because she was the right gender, right sexual preference, at the right time. And this goes to show that promoting things like this just because gender or sexual preference makes us a weaker fighting force because we have to focus on stupid things like this instead of being the best we can be at our military jobs. And the sad thing is this kind of mentality isn’t rare. It’s happening everywhere. This one just gets the spot light because she is who she is and a squeaky wheel getting grease at this time.

Our enemies are laughing at us. This and NIPR computer network and random nonsense military requirements (and the fluoride in the water) make us so weak.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Sua Sponte said:

So I agree firmly with allegations #1-5 and 7, 7 being the one that surely got her fired. 

I think #6 is a bit of a reach though, although the gap between BGen and Cadet is large, using a fellow travelers GTC seems like a reasonable solution to a predicament that would be easy to make. She would have also been in violation of the JTR had she used her personal card as several of the witnesses mentioned they would recommend, as the JTR specifically mentions that lodging expenses have to be made to a GTC. 

I guess what frustrates me is they wrote it as if the cadet gave her a "personal" loan, and this is where I think the grey area on the GTC being a personal card or non-personal card really gets stupid. In reality, this is just me thinking the GTC program is stupid, and I would like to see it go away for something better. 

One or two JTR mistakes would not seem to me like a capital crime, but this report paints a picture of consistent bending or breaking of the JTR.  Not a good example to set, if nothing else.

I can't form a judgement as to the information about her command style, I'm really old (all together now: 'OK Boomer') but what is described was typical leadership styles during the latter years Cold War.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, JimNtexas said:

One or two JTR mistakes would not seem to me like a capital crime, but this report paints a picture of consistent bending or breaking of the JTR.  Not a good example to set, if nothing else.

I can't form a judgement as to the information about her command style, I'm really old (all together now: 'OK Boomer') but what is described was typical leadership styles during the latter years Cold War.

Which thank God we are finally realizing is no longer acceptable in today's environment of permanent expeditionary deployment. No offense, I think this style had a time and place, but most GOs seem totally disconnected from what we ask our troops to do these days. I think they still think we are in the early 90s flying club and only deploy once a decade. 

It seems to me though she was fire for #7, and numbers #1-6 were just used to reinforce said decision. 

6 hours ago, FLEA said:

So I agree firmly with allegations #1-5 and 7, 7 being the one that surely got her fired. 

I think #6 is a bit of a reach though, although the gap between BGen and Cadet is large, using a fellow travelers GTC seems like a reasonable solution to a predicament that would be easy to make. She would have also been in violation of the JTR had she used her personal card as several of the witnesses mentioned they would recommend, as the JTR specifically mentions that lodging expenses have to be made to a GTC. 

I guess what frustrates me is they wrote it as if the cadet gave her a "personal" loan, and this is where I think the grey area on the GTC being a personal card or non-personal card really gets stupid. In reality, this is just me thinking the GTC program is stupid, and I would like to see it go away for something better. 

They have to be made on a GTC unless your GTC doesn't work. I've done that a couple of times when my GTC didn't work for various reasons. You are then allowed to use your personal card.

I think the takeaway was by having the cadet use their GTC to pay for her room, the cadet is now on the hook for paying that expense off, not her.

I agree with you though on the overall  idea of the GTC.

• Like 1

If I ever have to be the IO that writes a 150 page report on why some BGen extended her TDYs by a day to attend retirement ceremonies costing the Gov a whopping $690 per occurrence, I’m doing whatever I can to eject from the AF. The amount of effort that went into that exhaustive investigation boggles my mind. There are so many real tactical problems out there to be solved, and so many $billions wasted on bad acquisitions, and some poor guy devotes all his waking hours to this.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

44 minutes ago, Guardian said:

What if you don’t have a GTC? I’ve heard of people that travel on their personal cards all the time

The reg basically says you're required to use your GTC for all authorized travel expenses incurred during official travel.  The next paragraph says that not using your GTC is not grounds for denial of reimbursement, but that you could be subject disciplinary action.  So basically, it depends up on your local leaderships viewpoint on this. 

1 hour ago, Guardian said:

What if you don’t have a GTC? I’ve heard of people that travel on their personal cards all the time

This happened to me with a FTU student I diverted with. Officers receive GTC’s at USAFA, UPT, etc. Enlisted don’t received one until they’re at their first permanent duty station. I diverted with a student Boom, A1C, who had no GTC. He also had no personal credit card since he was 18 years old. I had to put his lodging and M&I on mine, then work with the OG RA/CTO to get reimbursed. It was a pain, but worked out.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Majestik Møøse said:

If I ever have to be the IO that writes a 150 page report on why some BGen extended her TDYs by a day to attend retirement ceremonies costing the Gov a whopping $690 per occurrence, I’m doing whatever I can to eject from the AF. The amount of effort that went into that exhaustive investigation boggles my mind. There are so many real tactical problems out there to be solved, and so many $billions wasted on bad acquisitions, and some poor guy devotes all his waking hours to this.

The irony of paying an O-6 for 4 months of base pay/TDY/BAH/etc to investigate this wasn't lost on me.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sua Sponte said:

This happened to me with a FTU student I diverted with.

Same here; On a return trip from a deployment we got dropped off/stuck at Dover AFB. There were 4 enlisted troops that didn't have a GTC so I put all 4 (5 including mine) of their commercial airline tickets on my GTC. Dover transportation gave all of us a lift to the Philadelphia Airport free of charge and everyone made it back to their home station with no other issues. I explained this to my local finance boss, submitted my travel voucher, and everything was paid with zero problems. 

Edited by waveshaper
  • Like 1

I'm not excusing it, but you'd find JTR violations in the travel plans of every O-6+ if you gave them this much scrutiny.  Some resulting from ignorance of the rules, and plenty due to intentional manipulation for personal gain/convenience.  The point is that they never even get looked at if you're not a dick.  You only get 150 pages documenting every trip to the bathroom you made over the course of a year after you've been identified as a problem.  Her leadership got her fired.

From a psychology standpoint it would be interesting to be the Senior Official Inquiries investigator.  You're dealing with people who are used to having the world move on their whim.  Nobody tells them no.  What they say goes and nobody questions it (at least aloud).  Then an investigation is opened and they're checking swipe card access logs to verify if it was possible that you bumped into a guy in the hallway of the Pentagon like you said you did.  Must be humbling.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Mark1 said:

I'm not excusing it, but you'd find JTR violations in the travel plans of every O-6+ if you gave them this much scrutiny.  Some resulting from ignorance of the rules, and plenty due to intentional manipulation for personal gain/convenience.  The point is that they never even get looked at if you're not a dick.  You only get 150 pages documenting every trip to the bathroom you made over the course of a year after you've been identified as a problem.  Her leadership got her fired.

From a psychology standpoint it would be interesting to be the Senior Official Inquiries investigator.  You're dealing with people who are used to having the world move on their whim.  Nobody tells them no.  What they say goes and nobody questions it (at least aloud).  Then an investigation is opened and they're checking swipe card access logs to verify if it was possible that you bumped into a guy in the hallway of the Pentagon like you said you did.  Must be humbling.

I thought it was interesting that a statement from someone on her staff said that she'd say "this is the first I've heard of it" and claim ignorance...which is the exact thing she did when to the IO asked her questions about some her TDY's and expenses and confronted with evidence contrary to what she claimed.