Commanders are dropping like flies this year

MDDieselPilot

41 minutes ago, daynightindicator said:

In general, I would agree, but sometimes you don’t have the luxury of passing it off to someone else, especially if your leadership has decided the task is yours alone to complete.

The most difficult cases I’ve had usually fell in one of two categories: 1) the request is made laterally to someone of equal rank/position, or 2) it’s made to an outside agency...sometimes a combination of the two.

Both require people skills to get your desired outcome. Dale Carnegie’s “How to Make Friends and Influence People” is a great generic guide to both. Finding a way to “sell” your request as being mutually beneficial, or even just beneficial to the person you’re dealing with, is an art form, but yields great results.

It’s amazing how far people will go to help you if they actually like you - even mediocre performers.

Kill them with kindness. Just counseled a SNCO picked up for OTS. She got into it with a SFS NCO at the visitor center. An A1C had to break them up. I told the SNCO, how would you like working a shift having to deal with parents, trainees, enlisted, and officers for 12 hours? Put yourself in their shoes. Even if the other person was in the wrong, walk away. Don't let the situation escalate. They detained her butt.

My boss told me the Gp/CC wants to be told about things in the blotter like this scenario. I was like WTF? Dude is a micromanager. Got it.

Edited by Shazaam
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 5

36 minutes ago, tac airlifter said:

Hosting someone to Q&A a thread is an interesting concept.  We could do a reddit style AMA except over a few days so the responder has time to actually think about replies.  Good idea!

Unfortunately the rest of this post is less constructive.  I gave you some feedback bro, take it or leave it.  Cheers.

I actually really like that idea as well. Can we get General Chang as a guest AMA? 

Edited by FLEA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FLEA said:

I actually really like that idea as well. Can we get General Chang as a guest AMA? 

Maybe a Q&A on bullets and push lines from someone who has sat on a board. We need a section dedicated to it. Where solid information doesn't get lost in all the comments because they aren't allowed. Also, you must be a member for x number of months to unlock access.

Army reprimands retired four-star general in alleged groping incident from 25 years ago

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/06/13/army-reprimands-retired-general-allegedly-groping-officers-wife/2909438002/

Edited by Shazaam
  • Downvote 1

On 6/12/2019 at 5:39 PM, Danger41 said:

Thanks, Panch. We’ve got a Vegas rejoin this weekend after WIC grad and I CANNOT overstate the 777 maintenance.

Danger you got some drinks coming boy!!! The draws are hitting and the fish are biting thanks boys!!! 

***PLEASE NO REP***

41520959-273E-4318-B96C-354D427E3451.jpeg

Edited by BashiChuni

11 hours ago, Danger41 said:

Don’t worry about me. I’m a lost cause. Bashi on the other hand is the golden goose. I’ve personally witnessed him in the depths of a 36 hour hold-em binge down 2 grand end up making good profits through sheer force of will alone. Will and somehow making a rage bet on Minnesota vs New Orleans and winning compliments of the “Minneapolis Miracle”. 

Whatever...

My name is GKinnear, and I'm a downvoter.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Shazaam said:

Maybe a Q&A on bullets and push lines from someone who has sat on a board. We need a section dedicated to it. Where solid information doesn't get lost in all the comments because they aren't allowed. Also, you must be a member for x number of months to unlock access.

Army reprimands retired four-star general in alleged groping incident from 25 years ago

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/06/13/army-reprimands-retired-general-allegedly-groping-officers-wife/2909438002/

This article is sort of bull shit because it really doesn't mean anything. Did the 4 star backpay 25 years of retirement? Did he receive a change in discharge? What came of this at all and why wasn't it reported 25 years ago? All this amounts to is a PR feel good story that the Army is trying to do something about sexual assault while at the same time not actually doing anything. Sounds like the aircrew crisis task force....

On 6/13/2019 at 6:33 PM, Shazaam said:

We’d be nuts to follow any of your suggestions.  Look up Rick/Shazam/PickYourBattles on YouTube to see him in the wild.  Nobody should take any career advice from this guy.  I don’t usually engage crazy, this is the last time I’ll recognize him around here, I recommend the same for the rest of you.  It is entertaining to see how much he has in common with Alex Jones.  It’s a free country though.....

Edited by matmacwc

9 minutes ago, matmacwc said:

I’ll say it’s again, I think we need his perspective if he is who he says.

He has already admitted to be trolling everyone a while back.  He's got top notch writing (and trolling) skillz.  Looking back, I'm really impressed with GC's posts.  No sarcasm.

Edited by panchbarnes
  • Upvote 1

He way overplayed his hand when he said something to the effect of “staffs—where the hard work of airpower gets done”. If I were unsure before, I was not after I read that. Up until then, good show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, while technically not a commander, the reasons behind Patrick Shanahan's departure as interim (and possibly permanent) SecDef irks the shit out of me...

Honestly, I really don't have much of an opinion on his performance in that job; but the fact that he dropped out due to an incident where he not only wasn't charged after a full law enforcement investigation but the other party (his now ex-wife) was charged with assault (later dropped as a result of Shanahan's request) makes the entire matter a non-issue. 

Simply because he was accused of domestic violence, he is no longer a candidate for SecDef.  The concept of presumption of innocence, the basis of our entire legal system, is being thrown out the window without any regard.   Guilty until proven innocent doesn't even describe it, accused now equates to being guilty.

Obviously he isn't the first and most certainly he won't be the only one who has been a victim of such circumstances, but the fact that this country's leadership isn't willing to stand up to such bullshit is intolerable.  That is the reason why we cannot get quality leadership in such positions. 

Rant over. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

51 minutes ago, M2 said:

OK, while technically not a commander, the reasons behind Patrick Shanahan's departure as interim (and possibly permanent) SecDef irks the shit out of me...

Honestly, I really don't have much of an opinion on his performance in that job; but the fact that he dropped out due to an incident where he not only wasn't charged after a full law enforcement investigation but the other party (his now ex-wife) was charged with assault (later dropped as a result of Shanahan's request) makes the entire matter a non-issue. 

Simply because he was accused of domestic violence, he is no longer a candidate for SecDef.  The concept of presumption of innocence, the basis of our entire legal system, is being thrown out the window without any regard.   Guilty until proven innocent doesn't even describe it, accused now equates to being guilty.

Obviously he isn't the first and most certainly he won't be the only one who has been a victim of such circumstances, but the fact that this country's leadership isn't willing to stand up to such bullshit is intolerable.  That is the reason why we cannot get quality leadership in such positions. 

Rant over. 

You know that everything is all about optics these days. There wasn't a DA in the Maryland/D.C. area that was ever going to prosecute Justice Kavanaugh for a 30+ year sexual assault claim that had no physical evidence. Even then they may have been a statue of limitation that would've prevented it anyway. As we all know that was solely the Democrat's Hail Mary at derailing his SCOTUS nomination. Just because Dr. Ford alleged it happened, doesn't make it true, something that Justice Kavanaugh adamantly denied happening. 

The Army just gave an 83 year old retired four star an LOR for allegedly groping another officer's wife. The only reason for this is optics in today's #MeToo environment, why else would they do it? They issued administrative actions against the guy because the burden of proof is so low, so they wouldn't have to actually prove the allegation beyond a reasonable doubt.

This year the highest appellate court for the military (CAAF) ruled that military retirees can be recalled to active duty and court martialed for crimes committed after they retire. The Marines have done two already and the Army is currently court martailing a retired two star for allegedly molesting his daughter in the 80's.

There isn't one person on this forum, unless you're unemployed, that wouldn't be fired from their job, or court martailed if still subject to the UCMJ, for any sexual assault or domestic violence allegation (not conviction). That's the name of the game in today's society. If you don't like someone you work for or in your chain of command, or you want to mitigate the punishment of any criminal activity you've committed, just accuse them of intolerable acts. We're trained to always believe the victim when we should be allowing due process to happen and doing thorough investigations.

Edited by Sua Sponte
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5

2 hours ago, M2 said:

Don't disagree with any of your post, but I thought it was more along the lines of Shanahan didn't want his son's name plastered all over the news.  Seemed like the wife was borderline nuts, the son went after the mom with a baseball bat, and the whole thing sounded really sad.

Didn't think it was so much that Shanahan was going to be accused of anything, but more that all his family drama would be drug up for all the world to see.  

44 minutes ago, Blue said:

Don't disagree with any of your post, but I thought it was more along the lines of Shanahan didn't want his son's name plastered all over the news.  Seemed like the wife was borderline nuts, the son went after the mom with a baseball bat, and the whole thing sounded really sad.

Didn't think it was so much that Shanahan was going to be accused of anything, but more that all his family drama would be drug up for all the world to see. 

I understand his reasons completely, but the absence of any support from his bosses (i.e. Trump) just causes my blood to boil.  It was a perfect opportunity to put this trend to an end, but I guess since Trump feels he beat the sexual assault allegations by 19 women against him since the 80s that Shanahan can do the same.

So it's not so much Shanahan as it was the lost chance to put a stop to this practice of condemning someone before they are actually found guilty of something...

I should know better, being that it's OK for Michelle Obama to nail Harry Styles in the crotch with a dodgeball, but Benedict Cumberbatch is going to get a visit from the Secret Service for drilling her with the same.  She should be man enough to take that!

This "new normal" of guilty-until-innocent-but-still-treated-guilty is in large part a result of politics becoming team sports, where winning is the desire, instead of compromise. I think...

How many Republicans defended Al Franken when he was drummed out for nonsense?

How many excuse Trump when he says things that are obviously false?

Both sides are doing this because we've prioritized winning over the truth. I don't think it's a new phenomenon, but the internet, social media, and the 24 hour news cycle has made it worse. Each side is convinced the other is stacking the deck, so they take their wins wherever they can, even when it's disingenuous.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4