Commanders are dropping like flies this year

MDDieselPilot

6 hours ago, di1630 said:

“Rolling up” when I was a Lt was known as being “hog tied” and nobody was ever injured or killed. Most of us have a great story about what got us tied.

F-ing 2019 pussification.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

That was my jam, I think every roll call in the Fiends I was duct taped and later, handcuffed, to the bar.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, brickhistory said:

Soooo, if two of the group's squadron commanders were fired and a commander is responsible for the actions (or inactions) of those under him/her, why wasn't the group commander also fired?

Different spanks for different ranks.

On 3/29/2019 at 11:40 PM, pawnman said:

Looks like big Air Force claimed two more. https://trib.al/asi1pRb 

I like this quote:

The CDI found that many airmen in those squadrons thought “rolling up” was based on camaraderie and bonding. But those who participated were taking part more out of peer pressure than on enjoyment of the actions, according to the investigations.

"Captain, did you enjoy these hazing rituals you thought were about camaraderie and bonding?........ or did you just go along due to peer pressure?"

What in the actual F did they think anyone was going to say? 

"We're better than this" 🙄

No, actually the USAF just got a little worse.  Just another reason in a long list that will continue to drive the mass exodus away from the USAF.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, JeremiahWeed said:

I like this quote:

The CDI found that many airmen in those squadrons thought “rolling up” was based on camaraderie and bonding. But those who participated were taking part more out of peer pressure than on enjoyment of the actions, according to the investigations.

"Captain, did you enjoy these hazing rituals you thought were about camaraderie and bonding?........ or did you just go along due to peer pressure?"

What in the actual F did they think anyone was going to say? 

"We're better than this" 🙄

No, actually the USAF just got a little worse.  Just another reason in a long list that will continue to drive the mass exodus away from the USAF.

I’m guessing it’s the leadership that enjoyed the same acts in their day but will judge you harshly for doing the same today.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Sprkt69 said:

I’m guessing it’s the leadership that enjoyed the same acts in their day but will judge you harshly for doing the same today.

Yep at this point in their career they are only about protecting their retirement check and post retirement employment. The only correct answer is the politically correct one.  Not to mention thankful no social media/youtube was around when they were younger.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dream big said:

There has been an insidious infection of the military by social justice warriors for some time now.  If we lose the next war, heaven forbid, you can thank the touchy feely PC cowards.  

But how many modern social progressivist liberal CCs have any of us encountered? I don't think I know of any. What I do know is most careerists I've met lately are concerned with 1. Metrics and 2. Avoiding risk. Inflate the positives numbers, eliminate the negative numbers, and avoid anything that may complicate either of the above.

Human behavior, especially in the military is risky, messy, and unpredictable. It requires leadership to effectively handle it. But effective leadership cannot be quantified, therefore it is not rewarded nor promoted. Maybe because I'm older and perhaps more cynical, it easy to see when someone is mimicking how a leader might speak/act vs. being one. 

Because it has become harder to find and/or teach our CCs how to handle human behavior in an organization that values face to face interaction less and less, it's easier to just draw ever constricting circles around the individual and tell them that their behavior or anyone else they are responsible for shall not stray beyond it.

How long before people begin to reject what they're defending?

Edited by torqued
  • Upvote 1

I guess “rolling up” the flight engineer during the later half of Atlantic crossings back in the day is not good? Literally duct taping them to their chair on the flight deck while asleep and hitting the gear warning or fire test switch lights/bells to wake’m up... Seemed humorous although it teaches one to stay on the job, but then again there weren’t any safe/quiet spaces on board either... Definitely and arguably the good O’l days.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, torqued said:

But how many modern social progressivist liberal CCs have any of us encountered? I don't think I know of any. What I do know is most careerists I've met lately are concerned with 1. Metrics and 2. Avoiding risk. Inflate the positives numbers, eliminate the negative numbers, and avoid anything that may complicate either of the above.

The CC doesn’t themselves have to be progressive in order to enact progressive agenda. They just need to enable progressive ideology so as to not get in trouble (avoid risk)

• Like 1

On 3/31/2019 at 1:52 PM, Sprkt69 said:

This. I’ll guaran-damn-tee the commander who sacked them has hog-tied somebody to a rail after a fini-flight or at the bar. 

It’s Puss in Boots, not Piss in Boots, fellas. 

From the news:

The head of the California Air National Guard has been sacked after a newspaper released the details of several scandals under his command, including someone urinating in the boots of a female Air Guardsman.

Major General Clay “Slam” Garrison has been replaced by Brigadier General Gregory Jones in the aftermath of the scandals, which were leaked to the press by whistleblowers at the California Air Guard’s Fresno base.

In 2015, Staff Sergeant Jennifer Pineda was changing into uniform at the 144th Fighter Wing headquarters when she discovered someone had urinated in her boots.

According to the VC Star, Security Forces investigated the incident, but found little in the way of evidence and closed the case.

In a filed complaint, Pineda mentioned that she was afraid of being kicked out of the Air Guard, specifically due to speculation that she urinated in her own boots for attention.

Edited by torqued