Commanders are dropping like flies this year

MDDieselPilot

2 hours ago, pawnman said:

I would care if someone said that to a woman in my squadron.  And others would certainly care when you called her that at the step desk or back in the student longue.  

I imagine they would have changed it to CUT to achieve the same name purpose, as they did to the last dude they named the same thing. Taxiing is hard sometimes. I believe the board was potential names, not actual. 

Edited by Inertia17

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tunes3 said:

Interesting that the “event” took place in Sep and the Team apparently thought this guy was a toxic leader but he stayed in command until the end of the season...

I read the article, but that's the standard for a freaking CDI in my opinion. Always late to the party. But I guess JAG helps determine whether you have enough valid information or a basis to conduct a CDI. I conducted a CDI and the CC who was definitely toxic was long gone. Gp/CC was taking his time so the new Sq/CC got hit with the CDI. All the issues started on the previous CC watch. Buffoonery... seemed to me like someone was trying to protect the previous CC.

Can’t break the rules, credibility is gone and nobody will follow you.  And what in the trailer park tornado with a 84 Camaro was the CC of the team doing with his hands around another members neck, so beneath what we’d expect.

Edited by matmacwc
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Tunes3 said:

Interesting that the “event” took place in Sep and the Team apparently thought this guy was a toxic leader but he stayed in command until the end of the season...

The CC will have two choices. Well three....you can always just ignore it. Assuming it isn’t ignored, he can decide it’s agregious enough they can fire the guy on the spot. The other choice is to allow due process via a CDI, and those simply take time, as they should. 

10 minutes ago, MooseClub said:

The CC will have two choices. Well three....you can always just ignore it. Assuming it isn’t ignored, he can decide it’s agregious enough they can fire the guy on the spot. The other choice is to allow due process via a CDI, and those simply take time, as they should. 

No CC these days will ignore the results of any CDI that involve criminal conduct. That whole careerism, appease senior CC’s and Congress thing, protect career thing.

Why wasn’t he charged with assault consumed by a battery (Art 128)? If an A1C gets that charged for touching a girl’s ass certainly an Lt Col who’s a Sq/CC would get charged for trying to choke a dude in a bar.

Edited by Sua Sponte

26 minutes ago, BashiChuni said:

This is symbolic of my base ops relationship w pawnman...I think I’d be the thinderchicken CC choking him but I’m sure he’d disagree. 

The one who gets irrationally angry when someone wants the standards upheld?  No, I'd agree you're the commander and I'm the guy trying to be the voice of reason.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, Sua Sponte said:

Why wasn’t he charged with assault consumed by a battery (Art 128)? If an A1C gets that charged for touching a girl’s ass certainly an Lt Col who’s a Sq/CC would get charged for trying to choke a dude in a bar.

Regarding the "news" reports on the leak of the T-Bird CC's CDI, I will say (from *very* personal experience) that testimony, conclusions, and recommendations from CDIs can very much not reflect what actually occurred in a given situation.  In the situation I'm referring to, the accused chose to not speak to the Investigator without representation from an attorney, and the Investigator finished the CDI without ever actually going back and speaking to the accused with the attorney present.  Thus, only one side of the story was presented to the CC...and later formal proceedings showed that what was in the CDI was, indeed, only one side of the story.

I don't have any personal knowledge of this particular CDI, or what Ex-T-Bird#1's actions actually were, but I'd say to be cautious in what you believe to be true with just the CDI info that has been leaked.

To me, the fact that T-Bird#1 wasn't relieved of command until well after these events took place, and after the season completed successfully, speaks a lot louder than anything reported in the CDI and makes me question the validity of several of the things that are being reported.

As was mentioned in the quote above, if an obvious physical battery took place, why was nothing done right away, and why didn't T-Bird #1 receive any type of punishment out of the whole situation?  Maybe...just maybe...things didn't occur exactly the way someone told the Investigator it did?

So, I recommend taking all this info in with as much skepticism as is warranted by the circumstances.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, hindsight2020 said:

At the end of the day, the only people who need to believe you in post af life is your wife, your mother, and your airline hiring board. The rest is ballwash. Lol

The really interesting part of that is how different the "real world" take is compared to what we see and find important in the USAF fishbowl.

I know of guys currently at the major airlines with some pretty massive career-ending black marks on their military records, and whom I know for certain didn't omit those things from their airline applications.

1 hour ago, Hacker said:

The really interesting part of that is how different the "real world" take is compared to what we see and find important in the USAF fishbowl.

I know of guys currently at the major airlines with some pretty massive career-ending black marks on their military records, and whom I know for certain didn't omit those things from their airline applications.

I would hope none of us are ever surprised at how different the “real world” is from the AF.   

18 minutes ago, MooseClub said:

I would hope none of us are ever surprised at how different the “real world” is from the AF.   

On the contrary, my experience is that most career mil guys (not reservists/guardsmen) are surprised by a number of things in the outside professional world after they leave the insular military world.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hacker said:

On the contrary, my experience is that most career mil guys (not reservists/guardsmen) are surprised by a number of things in the outside professional world after they leave the insular military world.

I’m sure it happens. The point is folks are doing themselves a disservice if they’re surprised and caught off guard.  My recommendation is stay in tune with life outside the AF and don’t insulate yourself.  I know plenty who do. One way or another all of us will no longer be in the mil one day and we should all be ready to make that transition.  Like you said, this is a fishbowl.  None of us should ever forget just how much so it is. 

I remember a former C-17, now airline pilot said the good old boy network is still used at the airlines. He was telling me how they try to be all serious during your interview with a panel of their pilots. Then tell you to just chillax. 
Must've been a while ago. Don't think any majors interview without a 20-something year old HR rep asking "Tell me about a time you hurt someone's feelings..."

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, okawner said:

Must've been a while ago. Don't think any majors interview without a 20-something year old HR rep asking "Tell me about a time you hurt someone's feelings..."

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I thought that question was mandatory over at United...