Commanders are dropping like flies this year

MDDieselPilot

On 9/28/2018 at 8:08 AM, Sua Sponte said:

I have to admit, this one was a shock to me...

Admittedly, it had been a long time since I had any dealings with Tibbets (2001, when we were both majors).  I've been up to STRATCOM a few times since then (as a contractor), but saw him once and even that was very brief. 

I always thought he was a solid dude, and in my opinion these "charges" sound pretty weak; but I guess it was enough to derail what was a pretty stellar career! 

Cheers!  M2

On 10/2/2018 at 1:18 PM, Sua Sponte said:

He only got NJP because the key witness in the government’s case refused to testify.

Not always , my son got accused of sexual assault last year. The accuser(civilian) has declined to participate in the trial. The Army is still going after him 150% . Court Martial scheduled. None of the witnesses corroborate her story which has several versions. DNA test excluded him, however several DNA examples were found in her, on her and around her. It sucks because he is a good troop. The Army took him out of the fight for what is obviously a false accusation. I know, it's Army, but the AF has done the same.

On 10/5/2018 at 11:30 AM, 17D_guy said:

True, but didn't the whole crew just exit service ASAP when AMC/CC pulled wings?

I can't speak for the loadmasters, but the copilot got a PCS to another C-17 base (don't know where CP is now) and the AC got picked up for a unique opportunity which he took. Its a shame because I only got the opportunity to work with him once and he was far from the "reckless cowboy" Allardick accused him of being.

Edited by Fuzz
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, arg said:

Not always , my son got accused of sexual assault last year. The accuser(civilian) has declined to participate in the trial. The Army is still going after him 150% . Court Martial scheduled. None of the witnesses corroborate her story which has several versions. DNA test excluded him, however several DNA examples were found in her, on her and around her. It sucks because he is a good troop. The Army took him out of the fight for what is obviously a false accusation. I know, it's Army, but the AF has done the same.

This exact scenario happened in my last sq.  Our CC was so happy when he was acquitted.  Such an awful time to be a young male in military service.

EDIT - Wg/CC brought all sexual assault complaints out of the hands of Sq/CC's.

Edited by 17D_guy

8 hours ago, ThreeHoler said:

If your son has a good lawyer, then he should be fine for the CM since he has a constitutional right to face his accuser.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Well, the “accuser” in a court martial is normally your commander because they sign your charge sheet alledging you committed those charges after they reviewed the investigative report. Also, the Covening Authority can have an Art 32 hearing, where the complaining witness (victim) doesn’t have to testify, and have the Art 32 Officer (JAG for Art 120 cases) recommend dismissal...and still order it to go to a court martial.  Works a little bit different in military justice. 

6 minutes ago, Sua Sponte said:

Well, the “accuser” in a court martial is normally your commander because they sign your charge sheet alledging you committed those charges after they reviewed the investigative report. Also, the Covening Authority can have an Art 32 hearing, where the complaining witness (victim) doesn’t have to testify, and have the Art 32 Officer (JAG for Art 120 cases) recommend dismissal...and still order it to go to a court martial.  Works a little bit different in military justice. 

Always fun getting people to correct the Panel vs. Jury distinction.

2 minutes ago, 17D_guy said:

Always fun getting people to correct the Panel vs. Jury distinction.

The big disctintion is the fact you can have 2/3rds of 5 people (minimal for a panel) to send you to confinement  for a long time. That’s how the military system prevents hung jurys.

Edited by Sua Sponte
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ThreeHoler said:

If your son has a good lawyer, then he should be fine for the CM since he has a constitutional right to face his accuser.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

I hope so $17,000 so far. He filed a motion for that very thing. He is perplexed as to why the Army is still going forward. Latest is some question about Brady material with the prosecuter. That was one of my biggest fears, the prosecuters/CID(in all services) are famous for pulling this kind of shit. And nothing happens to them when they get caught.

No shit. Boy, it’s almost like 19 some odd years of being in the military means I don’t know anything. Thanks for the lesson. GFY.
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, ThreeHoler said:

No shit. Boy, it’s almost like 19 some odd years of being in the military means I don’t know anything. Thanks for the lesson. GFY.

Well, in that case then you’d know what you said about Constitutional Right via the 6th Amendment wasn’t completely true. 

Edited by Sua Sponte

4 hours ago, Sua Sponte said:

I used the word accuser because she is not a victim. I understand the commanders role in all this. The problem I see, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, is that when they brief the commander there is nobody on the accused side. The commander, or FSgt, should ask if there is any evidence of innocence but they usually  don't. It's all one sided and those investigators lie their asses off. Not just talking about my sons case but 24 yrs in the USAF taught me that the OSI are a bunch of boobs. FBI wanna bees that can't be. The CID are cut from the same stained cloth. It's funny, actually sad, how many people think they are on your side when they would go after them with all they had and if they didn't have enough they would make it up. One thing I know for sure is that you will never get a fair trial in a court martial.

22 hours ago, arg said:

If your son can prove the lie after a not guilty verdict, he might consider suing for defamation.  It worked for this Army Colonel who lost his promotion to 1-star after being accused of rape and was discharged. He proved conclusively that he was not even in the state where/when she said it happened, and won over $2 million.  She's got a lien against everything she owns now, and probably everything she ever will.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/true-crime/wp/2017/08/11/jury-orders-blogger-to-pay-8-4-million-to-ex-army-colonel-she-accused-of-rape/?utm_term=.ac0f5735f766

• Like 1

On 10/5/2018 at 9:44 AM, Darth said:

Just so as to educate the masses - In part this guy died on his sword over a retirement certificate being signed by the former president. Getting said cert signed by a former Prez is perfectly allowed, there's even a how-to on the AFPC website:

RECOGNITION FROM FORMER PRESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES

While not part of the required items for presentation, retiring Airmen or their supervisors may request, if desired, recognition from former Presidents of the United States. Those interested in recognition from former President Obama may submit requests online. For other former Presidents, contact the applicable Presidential Library. Recognition from a former President is typically a letter of appreciation, which may be presented during the Airman's retirement ceremony; however, this is not authorized to be used in place of the current President's recognition certificate, DD Form 2542, or letter of appreciation. 

Each Presidential Library will have unique requirements for submitting requests, so interested parties should contact them well in advance of the retirement ceremony for specific instructions.

The more you know !  In the words of a former POTUS, " Don't do dumb shit."

Chuck

4 hours ago, Chuck17 said:

however, this is not authorized to be used in place of the current President's recognition certificate, DD Form 2542, or letter of appreciation. 

I've seen many retirees receive letters from former (living) presidents, but I've never seen them replace the current president's letter.

From the article: "The day of the ceremony, Owens learned about the airman’s plans to include the presentation of a certificate from Obama, but not current President Trump. Owens felt this was disrespectful to Trump, and assumed the airman was planning to make the ceremony “a political statement” that would make Owens “look like a fool.”

Still seems like a toxic commander, and it was probably a good thing he was removed.