Commanders are dropping like flies this year

MDDieselPilot

A shame.  People around him have been saying for a long time (I first heard it when he was an O-6) that he was on his way to 4-stars, and that he was exactly what was needed.  

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Upvote 1

On 6/9/2019 at 1:19 PM, pawnman said:

Gotta say, I didn't see anything in there that warrants removing him from the position.

You can have margarita Friday. But when you throw in "friendly" games of Twister, that is where people draw the line. Thou shall not combine Twister with margaritas because someone will cop a feel. 

AF Times: Leader Approves Margaritas & Rape Twister

😮😮

Edited by Shazaam
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, waveshaper said:

The Air Force's highest-ranking woman fighter pilot has been fired from running the office that oversees top secret programs:

https://www.businessinsider.com/dawn-dunlop-air-force-woman-fighter-pilot-fired-secret-office-2019-6

“The source said that things reached a boiling point May 31, when Dunlop lost her temper in a meeting with senior Air Force civilians. 

An Air Force civilian immediately told Ellen Lord, the Pentagon's top acquisition official, about the situation in the office, the source said, and Lord walked over to the SAPCO office and removed Dunlop.”

And that, boys and girls, should tell you everything you need to know about where you’re at in the food chain if your office includes GS employees.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, BFM this said:

“The source said that things reached a boiling point May 31, when Dunlop lost her temper in a meeting with senior Air Force civilians. 

An Air Force civilian immediately told Ellen Lord, the Pentagon's top acquisition official, about the situation in the office, the source said, and Lord walked over to the SAPCO office and removed Dunlop.”

And that, boys and girls, should tell you everything you need to know about where you’re at in the food chain if your office includes GS employees.

I'd imagine they were SESes

9 hours ago, LookieRookie said:

I'd imagine they were SESes

Ellen M. Lord = Senate confirmed position. I'm not sure if the Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition and Sustainment is one of them SES positions? The weasel(s) that ratted out this Distinguished General probably are some of them SESes (Turds/Idiots) that are worthy of being yelled at and kicked to the curb for these minor league - BS  accusations.

https://dod.defense.gov/About/Biographies/Biography-View/Article/1281505/ellen-m-lord/

Edited by waveshaper
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BFM this said:

Checks, also don’t cuss out your secretary if you’re a wing king.  IG complaints follow and soon after a firing.  

3 hours ago, pawnman said:

If yelling at people is enough to get removed, the pilot retention crisis is about to get a lot worse.

Haha, I've been yelled at in a debrief... a simulator debrief!

I never forgot to check the Master Arm in the hot position when I called "in" after that though.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 4

I thought we didn't like toxic leaders on this board?

Surely you can't all think that screaming at each other over the phone, and calling your peers idiots behind their back is how business gets done.. It seems to me she was already under multiple IG investigations and her throwing a temper tantrum was just the final straw. 

I honestly question your judgement if you perceive the people you work with to be so stupid, relative to yourself, that you have no other option than to yell at them. I've never had any contact with her though so if she was legitimately a good leader please let me know.

• Upvote 5

47 minutes ago, Best-22 said:

I thought we didn't like toxic leaders on this board?

Surely you can't all think that screaming at each other over the phone, and calling your peers idiots behind their back is how business gets done.. It seems to me she was already under multiple IG investigations and her throwing a temper tantrum was just the final straw. 

I honestly question your judgement if you perceive the people you work with to be so stupid, relative to yourself, that you have no other option than to yell at them. I've never had any contact with her though so if she was legitimately a good leader please let me know.

You must not be a pilot or have experience with leading an organization if yelling at someone is the defining point of a toxic environment. It’s extremely common in every other branch of service. Some people need the tough love of being yelled at every now and then. Obviously not constantly, but it has a time and a place. And the fact that this whole thing involved civilians and not military members is telling. I doubt there would be any IG investigations going on if the Air Force didn’t try and replace every job with a contractor that can’t be fired, being paid 3x more than a service member, who has no clue or experience with military culture. I would bet money she had to deal with a lot of incompetent civilians who know she can’t do anything about it. 

12 minutes ago, Hawg15 said:

You must not be a pilot or have experience with leading an organization if yelling at someone is the defining point of a toxic environment. It’s extremely common in every other branch of service. Some people need the tough love of being yelled at every now and then. Obviously not constantly, but it has a time and a place. And the fact that this whole thing involved civilians and not military members is telling. I doubt there would be any IG investigations going on if the Air Force didn’t try and replace every job with a contractor that can’t be fired, being paid 3x more than a service member, who has no clue or experience with military culture. I would bet money she had to deal with a lot of incompetent civilians who know she can’t do anything about it. 

What freaking squadron are you in where people run around yelling? It serves no purpose at all. I didn't need to yell in order to get a back ender to stop driving his motorcycle like Maverick from Top Gun. I made him cry using a little emotional intelligence and didn't raise my voice once.

I have seen military members who yell in a training environment, then they think they can puff out their chest and do the same with civilians. The civilians won't lift a finger for that individual or their organization. My squadron had this exact problem until I rolled in. If you have to use your rank or big mouth to lead, I need you to sit down and STFU. My approach has worked wonders inside the squadron and with organizations outside the squadron like CONS and CE.

Edited by Shazaam
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 10

36 minutes ago, Shazaam said:

What freaking squadron are you in where people run around yelling? It serves no purpose at all. I didn't need to yell in order to get a back ender to stop driving his motorcycle like Maverick from Top Gun. I made him cry using a little emotional intelligence and didn't raise my voice once.

I have seen military members who yell in a training environment, then they think they can puff out their chest and do the same with civilians. The civilians won't lift a finger for that individual or their organization. My squadron had this exact problem until I rolled in. If you have to use your rank or big mouth to lead, I need you to sit down and STFU. My approach has worked wonders inside the squadron and with organizations outside the squadron like CONS and CE.

Biggest problem I see is that you call a squadron member a “back ender”.  

I think I’d rather get yelled at!

Edited by Tank
  • Haha 1

So making someone cry from using emotional intelligence is different from yelling how?

If you can break someone using emotional intelligence or yelling the net result is the same.

You are using a tactic to elicit a change of behavior. No one method is better than the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, pawnman said:

If yelling at people is enough to get removed, the pilot retention crisis is about to get a lot worse.

she was over the top... Even in the cockpit, no one could do things correct "enough" for her.  Consistently tearing people apart who were trying to help her/the msn succeed... It wasn't just a periodic thing when someone slipped up, it was all the freaking time.  If someone is consistently doing things wrong you either find ways to help them do it right or you find ways to get them out of that job... Problem was she couldn't get rid of everyone.  Years of mental abuse from leaders like her, who only know 1 way to lead, is precisely why we can't keep good people.  Good riddance, 20 years too late.  Stop promoting these people.

Edited by Tonka
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5