Info on Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS/UAV/RPA)

Guest Matt Daniel

KC-135

Almost exactly 3 years, and yes one of the ~25 from the crossflow board.

We got told the PCS freeze is still on and not to expect an assignment until it's lifted. Someone's being lied to. Check PM.

Edited by TAMInated

We got told the PCS freeze is still on and not to expect an assignment until it's lifted. Someone's being lied to. Check PM.

Hey, I am PCSing next month....but I am staying in the RPA world. just upgrading my location.

Guest Smash

Well hopefully I can send someone back to their manned platform soon. I'm waiting on results from the 11-15 July Board.

I'm currently a rated 13B (ABM) w/ PPL. Does anybody know for sure if I go to IFS before San Antonio? I've heard yes and no.

Thanks

Smash

Well hopefully I can send someone back to their manned platform soon. I'm waiting on results from the 11-15 July Board.

I'm currently a rated 13B (ABM) w/ PPL. Does anybody know for sure if I go to IFS before San Antonio? I've heard yes and no.

Thanks

Smash

I doubt you're going to get out of IFS. PPL doesn't mean much to them. Good luck.

holloman?

Nope, Whiteman. Family in KC and St Louis, and rumor has it...they have trees there. A general green-ness. Very much looking forward to it. Plus, I already know a bunch of folks there and all things are looking good.

Guest ShadyisGay

Thanks

Smash

Guys with wings and a PPL don't go to IFS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

AFSOC or ACC MQ-9?

I have the option to possibly go to Reapers (voluntarily from another MWS), with a choice of Creech or Cannon. Unfortunately I have less than 2 weeks to make a decision based on the Spring move cycle.

Sounds like manning is continuing to improve, reducing the ass-pain for AFSOC guys. Cannon was my going-in vector based on proximity to home for me (C-Springs), but my hesitation is being forever assigned to Cannon because of the grip AFSOC maintains on guys once assigned. An appeal to me is the more competitive nature of the community. In my brief discussions with RPA guys, the AFSOC Reapers are the self-proclaimed Alphas...which true or not, is at least a mindset.

Any feedback helping to distinguish between AFSOC and ACC would be greatly appreciated.

AFSOC or ACC MQ-9?

Any feedback helping to distinguish between AFSOC and ACC would be greatly appreciated.

You can be in an ACC sq, flying for the EXACT same customer, doing the the EXACT same job, but not have to live @ Cannon. If being 6 hrs vs 12 hours to home is that big a deal, fair enough, but you better be making that drive every single weekend (if, in fact you have one of those) to make that worth it.

Not even a close decision in my book. But then again, that's just my book, and some folks don't like the stories in there!

You can be in an ACC sq, flying for the EXACT same customer, doing the the EXACT same job, but not have to live @ Cannon. If being 6 hrs vs 12 hours to home is that big a deal, fair enough, but you better be making that drive every single weekend (if, in fact you have one of those) to make that worth it.

Not even a close decision in my book. But then again, that's just my book, and some folks don't like the stories in there!

What he said. Also, I've said it before, but bragging about being the best drone squadron is like bragging about winning the special olympics.

AFSOC or ACC MQ-9?

I have the option to possibly go to Reapers (voluntarily from another MWS), with a choice of Creech or Cannon. Unfortunately I have less than 2 weeks to make a decision based on the Spring move cycle.

Sounds like manning is continuing to improve, reducing the ass-pain for AFSOC guys. Cannon was my going-in vector based on proximity to home for me (C-Springs), but my hesitation is being forever assigned to Cannon because of the grip AFSOC maintains on guys once assigned. An appeal to me is the more competitive nature of the community. In my brief discussions with RPA guys, the AFSOC Reapers are the self-proclaimed Alphas...which true or not, is at least a mindset.

One man's garbage is another man's treasure. We need more folks like you to jump on these grenades.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

The only rumor that I have heard is that the first UPT-Direct guys will be getting aircraft and rips very soon in the future. They will be leaving in August/Fall next year. Good news for this guy if the rumor is true.

From the article (formerly) linked above...

When they weren’t flying the Reapers, the drone crew spent $937,260 on “Food/Liberty,” or about $11,400 per person over a four-month period ending in December 2009 (the Reapers arrived in late September).

Holy f*cking sh*t what did they buy for $2,850 per person, per month on "food and liberty" while on a deployment?!?

Edited by nsplayr

Gents, we can chat about quality of life, schedules(as in one type vs another...not "Hey, This guy works at this time"), stateside bases...but we will not be talking about any LR locations on here. I don't care what any open media says.

Edited by Boxhead

• 2 weeks later...

The first group of UPT-D are putting in their dream sheets. Suppose to be out in Apr-Aug depending on training dates etc.. Planes have already been set aside for the first group not a bad "drop" looks to be. All UPT-D will go to refresher training in the plane they came from in upt ie. the T-1 or 38. Then off to their new real airplane. Finally things look good for all of us.

And weren't there dudes that left the waiting line for A-10's to "get into the fight quicker" by volunteering for Preds. Sucks to be those dudes.

There were at least a couple dudes who did that, but also were just checking the ALFA container (they were told by leadership preds was the new ALFA thing and everyone was going to do one, so might as well check the container now, rather than later) and thought they'd get there #1 fighter choice out of it. Clearly that worked out well for them. Hopefully they learned their lesson, believing higher leadership that eating a giant shit sandwich now will "totally hook you up in the future dude!" is not the way to go.

There were at least a couple dudes who did that, but also were just checking the ALFA container (they were told by leadership preds was the new ALFA thing and everyone was going to do one, so might as well check the container now, rather than later) and thought they'd get there #1 fighter choice out of it. Clearly that worked out well for them. Hopefully they learned their lesson, believing higher leadership that eating a giant shit sandwich now will "totally hook you up in the future dude!" is not the way to go.

Never volunteer for a bad deal, especially if said bad deal is the worst deal ever.

• Upvote 1