RESERVE & GUARD SOS

Didn't see a dedicated thread so... here we go.

Anyone have insight if this requirement is going to survive the pilot crisis?

Anyone want to start a movement for the ARC (guard & reserve) to have their own course that actually functions online via one website and is relevant to TR's that have other jobs?

Anyone know anyone that said screw it and left because it's easier to do that than force feeding BS?

Cheers

5 hours ago, kapilot said:

Anyone know anyone that said screw it and left because it's easier to do that than force feeding BS?

Quit over SOS?  I did the old SOS, and I've heard the new one is a royal pain, but wait until you start ACSC...this shit is terrible!  Anyway, lots of other shit needs solved prior to this.  Given that Guard guys go to OTS now, as opposed to AMS, I doubt you'll be blazing any trails to decouple ARC PME from AD.   Most of the Captains in my squadron have given up and gone in-residence (prior to last year, I think the last pilot we had go in-residence was 2002ish).  The full timers ended up enjoyed the break from the squadron.  If you don't want to do SOS, you could always ROPMA, we've had a few go that route.  Even saw a guy that didn't do SOS or ACSC an still made Lt Col last year.  

Edited by SocialD

I'll roll the dice and not do ACSC. If I don't make O-5 without it and with all the other things on my resume, I'll happy drive off into the sunset with an O-4 retirement. If my life depends on $300 per month when I'm 60, something went terribly wrong.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My view is that they want everything from us but have very little to give in return other than the, "Thanks for all of your hard work and for what you do!" every other UTA. I get it. I know that's really all they can do, but this $hit is just not that fun anymore and noone seems to want to throw their package on the table and say, "stop using us like and expecting us to be Active Duty-light!". Everyone is so scared of pushing back. They can't do this without us. The ARC has the upper hand. I don't know why ARC leadership can understand that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sorry. I am a full timer. Not that easy unfortunately. I have enough to keep myself busy, for now.

I was a full timer for 2 years and can agree with Gazmo. If your doing your job at the squadron there’s little time at work to commit to propaganda. Your to busy taking care of TR’s and being your own HR rep, scheduler, orders clerk, accountant, etc etc etc.

A thought...

Limit the people that write PME curriculum to 2 weeks. Online AND in residence.

Waive it completely if someone has obtained a masters level degree/course in a subject mater that benefits the AF.

For the love of Pete, use a freaking website that is a one stop shop for a course and remove bottlenecks that prevent students from advancing bc an instructor hasn’t taken the time to review comments and allow progression.

Force focus at AU university by limiting their budget and use that money where it is more beneficial like say oh I don’t know? Perhaps fix dts I don’t know pick any one of the many broken systems floating around

On 12/18/2017 at 8:22 PM, Gazmo said:

Sorry. I am a full timer. Not that easy unfortunately. I have enough to keep myself busy, for now.

When I was a full timer (5+ years), I set aside time for that stuff because I damn sure wasn't doing it on my own time.  Some months I met rap, some months I didn't, some tasks were pushed off a day or two and obviously some could not.  Strangely enough, the wheels kept on turning and Squadron still functioned.  Then again, there is a reason I left for the airlines and haven't looked back.  I am thankful for, but do not envy the full-timers that remain, they are doing WAY to much work with far too few assets (and pay).  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Active duty "light"? Your gouge is dated homey. We str8 up AD now. Nothing sets us apart anymore. Individual staff/non-flying Invol Mobs in AFRC now, just like regAF. If you're looking for reasons to quit this tonedeaf rudderless ship, SOS ain't it. Invol staff deployments are probably the near rock right now, at least in my corner of the ARC. Welcome to the Navy Reserves.

And a big '2' on  @SocialD comment regarding full time workload in the ARC right now. This shit's full stop broken, the airlines keep siphoning people away, yet the O-7s keep getting green slides on the stand up. Good thing I got that ATP before the old rules expired; I may need to quit the military and swing bitch gear for rent money earlier than planned if this bullshit keeps up. This place has lost its damn mind.

• Like 2