Sign in to follow this  
SPAWNmaster

Air Force to begin testing enlisted pilots

2 hours ago, Hacker said:

So let's see just how many different possible solutions the AF can come up with to sidestep fixing the actual retention issues.

It's absurd.  The amount of time, money and energy going into ideas that will NOT fix the exodus is just staggering.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Enlisted Pilots? We already have a program where motivated E's can become pilots, it's called OTS.  It works too. I know because I'm one of them.  

If an E thinks going to college while working is too tough....then pilot training will be impossible.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

On 12/8/2017 at 8:36 AM, jonlbs said:

www.taskandpurpose.com/no-enlisted-pilots-air-force/

little more detailed info on the plan

If one believes per the article that a) there has just been poor communication about this aspect of the test and b) that they legitimately want data points on learning modes (and not trying to actually build an enlisted -> pilot program) then this is just a big flag that they are investing heavily in Instructional Design to optimize pilot production. In any case I think everyone is pretty clear that big AF has given up on the retention piece and is now in panic mode to make enough pilots fast enough to get us through what will be a very painful ripping of the bandaid as experiences guys continue to pull chocks. No matter how you slice it it's not a good signal.

They say the E’s will be right out of basic and will not have a degree, and that when they are done, regardless of the outcome, they will go on to their previously assigned tech school. Because they just want to test their ability to do the program without having a degree.  Even if that is truly the legitimate reason for testing the E’s...why? We don’t have a shortage of degreed folks wanting to apply to UPT, applicants far exceed slots. So....why?  

Edited by RTB
Grammar not so good

32 minutes ago, RTB said:

They say the E’s will be right out of basic and will not have a degree, and that when they are done, regardless of the outcome, they will go on to their previously assigned tech school. Because they just want to test their ability to do the program without having a degree.  Even if that is truly the legitimate reason for testing the E’s...why? We don’t have a shortage of degreed folks wanting to apply to UPT, applicants far exceed slots. So....why?  

So, train pilots and then send them to tech school to finish out their 4-6 year enlistment?

47 minutes ago, HU&W said:

So, train pilots and then send them to tech school to finish out their 4-6 year enlistment?

Apparently.  According to one of the “test designers” posting on TPN. 

If it was me, I'd offer them some sort of carrot.  What a waste if some 19 year old showed natural talent and a great attitude, and then got sent to Finance or some BS.

What's the incentive to try and succeed?  Such a program is undoubtedly reliant on self-motivation to study, chairfly, seek feedback, etc.  If Amn Snuffy thinks the outcome is the same regardless, he's just gonna chase girls and beer like the rest of us and not try to make it work.

• Upvote 1

Without any insights to NCR's thinking...

To me this proposal along with other programs floated by HAF serve two purposes:

1.  Collect data now in case they need to quickly ramp up pilot production in case of a national emergency (draft?).

2.  Knowing these programs won't lead to any meaningful retention results, they can tell congress that they've exhausted their options to retain pilots, and the only choice left is stop loss (as mentioned previously by others on this forum).

Just a theory

13 hours ago, panchbarnes said:

Without any insights to NCR's thinking...

To me this proposal along with other programs floated by HAF serve two purposes:

1.  Collect data now in case they need to quickly ramp up pilot production in case of a national emergency (draft?).

2.  Knowing these programs won't lead to any meaningful retention results, they can tell congress that they've exhausted their options to retain pilots, and the only choice left is stop loss (as mentioned previously by others on this forum).

Just a theory

Pilots and drafts don't go together anymore.  We'll be out of airframes long before the draft selects the first pilot for whatever training is left to be had.