The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

I remember my first trip to ORD at my regional.  We got on the A taxiway and the alley was blocked, so the Captain just kept making right turns between A and B without a clearance.  He's said just don't stop and and they couldn't care less what we do, if you stop, they yell at you lol.  I've unfortunately flown there enough to know what taxi route they'll give me, but I avoid the place big time.  One of my bids is actually avoid long layovers at ORD, because of the long ass drive into downtown during rush hour. 

This is of the many reasons I like flying the 717 into all the burgs & villes throughout the eastern U.S.  You almost never have wait on anything, no conga line, rarely any "flow," one taxiway to one of the 5 gates, security is a breeze, and the people are nice. The hardest part about these airports is sometimes you have to turn the lights on yourself and occasionally you have use your phone to get a clearance.  

• Like 2

I remember my first trip to ORD at my regional.  We got on the A taxiway and the alley was blocked, so the Captain just kept making right turns between A and B without a clearance.  He's said just don't stop and and they couldn't care less what we do, if you stop, they yell at you lol.  I've unfortunately flown there enough to know what taxi route they'll give me, but I avoid the place big time.  One of my bids is actually avoid long layovers at ORD, because of the long ass drive into downtown during rush hour. 

This is of the many reasons I like flying the 717 into all the burgs & villes throughout the eastern U.S.  You almost never have wait on anything, no conga line, rarely any "flow," one taxiway to one of the 5 gates, security is a breeze, and the people are nice. The hardest part about these airports is sometimes you have to turn the lights on yourself and occasionally you have use your phone to get a clearance.  

Sitting on one now

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

ORD was my first taxi out as an airline pilot.  Dude, talk about a wake up call.  Luckily I had a good captain who looked at me right before I called for clearance and said "wait, this is your first time ever taxing a commercial aircraft?"  "Yep"  "Ok, write this down" and proceeded to give me what he expected the taxi instructions to be.  He was 95% correct and a huge help.  He also said 'don't be surprised if they read off your taxi instructions and then go on to the next airplane without giving you a chance to read back'.  I think I said "WTF, can they do that?"  "This is Chicago, FAA regs are more like suggestions..."

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SocialD said:

use your phone to get a clearance.  

We recently had a mod that we had to go to a dinky airport in New Jersey where you got your IFR clearance by calling McGuire on the phone at the end of the runway. Of course the guy I call is maybe an English 4th language type and about all I understood was "clearance void if not off the ground in 2 minutes" I just took off and turned toward what I thought was the VOR he said to go toward. Seemed to work out.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SocialD said:

One of my bids is actually avoid long layovers at ORD, because of the long ass drive into downtown during rush hour. 

You almost never have wait on anything, no conga line, rarely any "flow," one taxiway to one of the 5 gates, security is a breeze, and the people are nice. The hardest part about these airports is sometimes you have to turn the lights on yourself and occasionally you have use your phone to get a clearance.  

Totally agree! ORD is my base only for the variety of flying outbound rarely to return and that’s it. Fortunately it’s 10 min to the Doubletree Misery (Good Hotel but inferior to our OCONUS digs), our own dedicated heavy ramps N/S, direct drop to your 3 flights of stairs plus one workout and secure your own aircraft. Departing for the Pacific, Asia, Europe, Australia always makes me smile putting these run down cities behind the tail.

*The outlier areas are awesome I agree. Miss my former driveable HSV base. It was such a hassle free area - Make traffic call, Click the lights, call Memphis and depart or land and close it up if the tower went home. Good times.

Edited by AirGuardianC141747

5 hours ago, Danger41 said:

We recently had a mod that we had to go to a dinky airport in New Jersey where you got your IFR clearance by calling McGuire on the phone at the end of the runway. Of course the guy I call is maybe an English 4th language type and about all I understood was "clearance void if not off the ground in 2 minutes" I just took off and turned toward what I thought was the VOR he said to go toward. Seemed to work out.

At my current employer we fly in and out of Kona in a 747 using CTAF VFR procedures and picking up IFR clearance after takeoff.  I did that in a cessna or USAF C-130 doing VFR flying.  Never thought I'd be reporting at VFR pattern entry in a 74 though. "Any traffic please advise"

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Danger41 said:

you are a god damn sexual tyrannosaurs

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, herkbum said:

You are correct, the WiFi on these planes is the worst in the fleet. But the flight is only 35 mins, so I can live with it.

Oh man, was on a Delta 76 Delta One ride JFK-HNL beginning of the month going to pickup a jet and they mentioned WiFi was inop. Had in-flight entertainment so I didn’t care sleeping half the time, but people were steaming. Recalling plastic horseshoe headsets with projector screens blurred with cigarette smoke (not your choice of two or three movies shown) keeps me from complaining. Always can be worse.

Edited by AirGuardianC141747

9 hours ago, herkbum said:

You are correct, the WiFi on these planes is the worst in the fleet. But the flight is only 35 mins, so I can live with it.

Qantas doesn’t have WiFi on their international flights. But that hour flight from Melbourne to Sydney or Sydney to Brisbane? Yeah, it’ll have WiFi. 

4 hours ago, nunya said:

Satellite wifi on the way. No shit.

Like DSG's getting full flight pay, I'll believe it when I see it.

1 hour ago, StoleIt said:

Random question for the SWA folks: do you guys have a HUD or autoland?

ILS 4 has to be hand flown from FAF inbound.  

9 hours ago, StoleIt said:

Random question for the SWA folks: do you guys have a HUD or autoland?

HUD on CA side. No autoland. Cat II/III hand-flown below 1000ft AGL. 

Haven’t heard the details on the LGA thing. Sounds like the FO was flying.

Edited by FUSEPLUG
SocialD already mentioned the ILS 4

I dont know about you guys, but I always backed up the other pilot flying the approach, especially in wx.  How did they both not notice this deviation?  

23 hours ago, SocialD said:

ILS 4 has to be hand flown from FAF inbound.  

This plate is funny. The Gettysburg Address is there in the notes but the whole "Autopilot couple approach NA" is buried.

The other thing that sounded interesting to me was Brickyard saying they couldn't operate below 4000 RVR (minima on the plate) but they say if you have a HUD or Flight Director you can get down to 2400. I find it hard to believe there isn't a FD on any airliner operating domestically now. Bad thought?

For the actual video, I'm pretty sure the pilots had zero SA on where they actually were on that 2nd approach. Tower saved the day, big time. That's another interesting conundrum on a second approach after going missed on the first one. Nothing new had to be set up and just tried the same again. I'd be very interested to get a read out on this one (which I won't, but it'll be interesting).

35 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

The other thing that sounded interesting to me was Brickyard saying they couldn't operate below 4000 RVR (minima on the plate) but they say if you have a HUD or Flight Director you can get down to 2400. I find it hard to believe there isn't a FD on any airliner operating domestically now. Bad thought?

Could have been him mins Captain.  A buddy had to be rerouted out of a leg yesterday because he's a brand new Captain in his plane and the wx was below his mins as a newb on the fleet.