Baseops Forums
FUSEPLUG

The new airline thread

9 hours ago, nunya said:

Oh, you're a B-1 guy?  Sorry, we didn't realize that.  You better call the CEO directly.  He's expecting your call.  

Pretty sure he wasn’t asking for special favors..B-1s fly a lot less than Mobility and 1x B-1 hour is not equal to 1x airlift hour.  Just like the fighter guys usually get a boost for low relative hours. 

On 8/30/2018 at 7:26 PM, pawnman said:

Not a pilot, but I've been flying the jet for about 10 years

How'd you convince the pilots to let you do the flying?

10 minutes ago, HuggyU2 said:

It's an old buddhist martial art called 'edging' bro. Read up on it when you're ready to step up the smash game. BL, when it comes times to (and I quote the legendary Dio here) ride the Tiger, you are inside (not sts) the slam-mat's TC the entire time. They always come back for more. It's the real sport of kings afaic.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

How'd you convince the pilots to let you do the flying?

I just tell the LTs to move.

That article is depressing. It’s United’s fault that the snowflake wouldn’t do anything proactive to make the guy stop? Instead she waits until he’s done....”hours later”

Also, United needs a new PR department.

19 hours ago, hindsight2020 said:

BL, when it comes times to (and I quote the legendary Dio here) ride the Tiger

I thought that was about injecting heroin...

Any ARC dude/dudets here that used to be ART's before bailing for airlines? If so... What are the legalities of staying in an ART position, but taking leave through indoc and then continuing to work as an ART while waiting for aircraft training (if say it takes 6-8 weeks to get into a class)? Can you do it or is it against company policy? As far as I can tell, it is not against OPM rules to have a second job while you are a federal employee.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I know guys that did it, just permission from your CC, I’d tell the airline you are on leave until IOE or whenever you run out of leave.  Check with your local Bob’s

I know guys that did it, just permission from your CC, I’d tell the airline you are on leave until IOE or whenever you run out of leave.  Check with your local Bob’s
Ok. I'm not really talking about being on "terminal leave" by blowing banked ART annual leave, but actively showing up to work your ART job M-F while waiting for training. I realize different airlines may have different policies, but for example; Company X pays you from Day #1 of Indoc. An ART takes leave to do Indoc, but then has a 6-8 week wait for aircraft training so instead of resigning from his ART job, he goes back to work as an ART and resigns two weeks before his aircraft training starts, essentially "double-dipping". I have no doubts guys have done it, but of course that doesn't make it legal. The OPM talks about ethics issues and such, but none of which would apply to an airline job.

I'm pretty sure no airline cares what you do between indoc and training. The only caveat my airline has is that you can't fly for hire once you're on the payroll (military excluded.) 

It was weird to me too transitioning to working for an employer who doesn't give a shit what you do when you're not at work. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gazmo said:

Ok. I'm not really talking about being on "terminal leave" by blowing banked ART annual leave, but actively showing up to work your ART job M-F while waiting for training. I realize different airlines may have different policies, but for example; Company X pays you from Day #1 of Indoc. An ART takes leave to do Indoc, but then has a 6-8 week wait for aircraft training so instead of resigning from his ART job, he goes back to work as an ART and resigns two weeks before his aircraft training starts, essentially "double-dipping". I have no doubts guys have done it, but of course that doesn't make it legal. The OPM talks about ethics issues and such, but none of which would apply to an airline job.

Depending on the airline you may not know how long you have between INDOC and training until you are actually at INDOC.  I was an ART, got hired at my airline, resigned my ART job (because it was the worst job I ever had so I was more than ready to go), and went to INDOC.  While there I found out I had 7 days between INDOC and Day 1 of training.  During those 7 days I was responsible for getting through the at home training portion of the course and ready to take the written test Day 2.  No way I would've wanted to deal with working the ART job or even out-processing from it.  Much much much more important things to focus on: airline stuff and family stuff.

Obviously the flip side of it is if you have 6-9 months off...personally I wasn't willing to take a chance of having limited time to do anything more than study.  If you are a reservist you could probably do the trough thing just as easily as do the ART job IMHO.

• Like 1

Anyone know what the wait is to get a class date at Southwest once you are offered the job?

July interviewees have October and possibly even November class dates. Things got pushed back a bit lately. SW typically has a 120 day window (IIRC) from invite to class to keep candidates from stringing the company along and they were getting close to not meeting that requirement on their end lately.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yes, I know at least 1 dude to do what you spelled out as an ART.  In our unit you could make more money just taking orders.

On 9/7/2018 at 5:34 PM, Jaded said:

The only caveat my airline has is that you can't fly for hire once you're on the payroll (military excluded.) 

Would you clarify this?  

You cannot fly for hire between indoc and training?  Or ever?  

2 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Would you clarify this?  

You cannot fly for hire between indoc and training?  Or ever?  

Ever. They have no way of tracking your FAA hour limits (like 30 in 7 or 100 in 30) for outside flying so their solution is to just prohibit it. 

Outside professional flying just requires chief pilot permission at my airline -- and numerous guys have that permission.

Most that I know of do airshow flying or instructing.

• Upvote 1

Jaded, 

I know at least one pilot at each of the 6 major airlines that do commercial flying on the side. Like Hacker states, there is usually a company process for approval.

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Jaded said:

Ever. They have no way of tracking your FAA hour limits (like 30 in 7 or 100 in 30) for outside flying so their solution is to just prohibit it. 

Guess there are no airline pilots in the guard or Reserve.

22 minutes ago, matmacwc said:

I know you're being facetious, but mil flying is explicitly exempt from the rules being discussed.  You don't have to jump through any of the hoops or approvals for Guard/Reserve flying, and it doesn't count against any of the FAA limits.

You're supposed to show up and work the schedule when your airline gives it to you. You can take military leave on your airline work days to perform military duty, aka being on a military status. But if you're in a civilian status, you cannot submit mil leave for that purpose.

If you're waiting for 2 months to start your flying training, then you are not "scheduled" for anything with the airline, so you can do your ART job, sell houses, mow lawns, go dance at a strip club, whatever (unless it's civilian flying b/c of FAA flying maximums).

If you're an AGR, you can drop 5 straight years the very day after indoc. Yeah, it "looks bad", but guys do it all the time with no issues. Hell, I'd do it if I was still on first year pay.

5 hours ago, matmacwc said:

On 9/7/2018 at 7:34 PM, Jaded said:

The only caveat my airline has is that you can't fly for hire once you're on the payroll (military excluded.) 

🙄

Edited by Jaded