The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

Appreciate all of the responses.

Any thoughts on signing the 3 year bonus?  I’m supposed to be at my current duty station through April 2022 so that might allow me to stay here the whole time and then hopefully get hired by the airlines and be at the front of the next hiring wave (assuming they start hiring again in 2-3 years).  I’d then have to try to get my last 2 years through guard/reserve which may or may not be difficult.

One negative I can think of is if the airlines aren’t hiring in 3 years then I’d probably miss out on the last 2 years of bonus.

Thanks again.

Chances are that the airlines will be hiring in 2-3 years, and I believe the cargo haulers may still be hiring?.  Eventually people will stop being scared of their own shadow or we'll have developed a vaccine.  Think of losing out on the 2 years of bonus as an insurance policy.  In the grand scheme of things, that bonus money is small fries to what you'd be giving up on the back end of your career.  If you miss out on a few years of it, oh well...if you get hired, you'll likely see 2 more years where you'll make more than that bonus nearly every month.  

• Like 1

I’m currently a year out from retiring @ 20 yrs, and have always planned on going airlines as soon as I’m retirement eligible, and then Corona! Ugh. I’m planning on taking the 3 year bonus now ($35K) and doing at least an extra 2 years. Here’s to hoping airlines start hiring in 3 yrs & the 365 boogeyman doesn’t find me!

• Like 1

Why?  FedEx and UPS are hiring right now. So are the ACMIs. 3 years means 1 or 2 PCSs, more time downrange, and a whole lotta BS. Shoot your shot while you're current in an airplane (assuming you are) and go test the waters. I bet you'll be ok outside the cocoon especially with $57k a year and Tricare.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Why?  FedEx and UPS are hiring right now. So are the ACMIs. 3 years means 1 or 2 PCSs, more time downrange, and a whole lotta BS. Shoot your shot while you're current in an airplane (assuming you are) and go test the waters. I bet you'll be ok outside the cocoon especially with $57k a year and Tricare.

I’m in a controlled flying tour that I enjoy, so no PCS, and protected from the 365 for a couple years. Never had a strong desire to fly for either, and I know their applicant pools just skyrocketed.

Correct, Cargo is hiring at it’s normal pace and apps are in the 10s of thousands even for ACMI’s. Can’t project how long the Majors will be below the line until 1 Oct -Dec or so, hopefully early retirements and normal retirements stem the tide of any layoffs. Many will be structured/shaped differently and domestic recovery will be incredibly faster than international travel. Just a few “Big Jets” flying around and I am skeptical that even half are pax birds. Pax birds never have ALL their window shades down.

Edited by AirGuardianC141747

I’m currently a year out from retiring @ 20 yrs, and have always planned on going airlines as soon as I’m retirement eligible, and then Corona! Ugh. I’m planning on taking the 3 year bonus now ($35K) and doing at least an extra 2 years. Here’s to hoping airlines start hiring in 3 yrs & the 365 boogeyman doesn’t find me!

I will eat my hat the day you get a 365.
  • Upvote 1

On 6/11/2020 at 1:45 PM, jazzdude said:

Plus I wonder how many people getting the aero matters from Riddle used SOS to get credits toward their degree? 

My FE and ATP ratings (paid via GI Bill) gave me two classes worth at Riddle.

18 hours ago, Techsan said:

I’m going to hold you to that when I see you in OTBH after your divert from OMAM! emoji16.png

Cool, let me know when you’re both there so I can buy some type of beverages If y’all request an off-Base pass 72 hrs prior to my arrival. Intercontinental Doha City is quite nice, might have a couple of spare rooms again. My buds couldn’t get off-Base last time to hang out due to that so-called 72 hour prior pass request, or they just hate me...

• 2 weeks later...

Many unsubstantiated rumors about FedEx starting interviews again in the near future. The most likely case is that interviews are starting back up again due to hiring pool depletion. FedEx is at peak+ loads, with cargo backed up throughout the global system. The peak+ surge may continue through peak actual (holidays) and into next year. It appears that virtually all seats are understaffed, with an emphasis on the international aircraft (777, MD-11).

The company keeps pushing off a system bid (allowing bidding of seat changes) because they can't even take a breath with the increased volume, much less allow instructors and students time in the schoolhouse. It's the polar opposite of the pax industry side. I don't mean that as a jab, I mean to say that guys are getting burned out on the cargo side, and I presume that doesn't just apply to FedEx. There are ample opportunities for 1.5x pay trips. FedEx pilots could work virtually every day they are legal if the company was choosing.

The point of sharing all that:  This is a good time to get a FedEx app refreshed if you're looking at the cargo side. Don't take my word for it...read last quarter's earnings report.

• Upvote 3

Good info and thanks for that update.  I didn't realize that FedEx was that tapped out.

2 hours ago, ImNotARobot said:

Don't take my word for it...read last quarter's earnings report.

What do they say in the investment world?  Past performance is no indicator of future success?  

That said, I'd be surprised if they all of sudden hit a wall and demand evaporates.

...though, I have been surprised before...

23 hours ago, ImNotARobot said:

There are ample opportunities for 1.5x pay trips. FedEx pilots could work virtually every day they are legal if the company was choosing.

Unfortunately that's fleet dependent.  I've been actively fishing for AVA, Volunteer, Draft, vacation buyback, etc, for the last 3 months on the A300 and haven't gotten a single credit hour of 1.5 pay.

Cargo is kill’n it, but like Hacker said it’s always fleet dependent and always comes down to seniority. How long it will last is anyone’s guess but it will continue into peak so early next year will be a good indication if things start to subside.

Oct 1 is coming so hopefully an uptick will take hold quickly while folks lay low during the summer, businesses eek by and checks stop arriving so the workers/services can get back to former employment if it still exists despite the up and downs the various state entities are choking the economy with.

Article regarding American and JetBlue makes sense to capture the market, etc, etc, but it’s all based on survival bottom line. Only so much to pull out of the basket and you don’t want to have an empty hand. Super doubtful any of the JetBlue starting a Europe run or even American “adding” international anytime soon. Maybe adding back to the fray and minimal at best, but it’s dismal outside the U.S. I hope they all grow, but they must refill current gaps before they can “grow.” Heavies are still being dumped left and right...

Japan Airlines just announced this week the obvious- freeze on hiring. But they did forecast 1 year for domestic and 3 years for international to be at a more sustainable load factor. It’s plausible flying around the world constantly.

LAX representatives were busier than normal yesterday and all summer as they told me these folks you see aren’t the normal pax, but low fare jockies. “Normally I help maybe 10 or more a day with Kiosks and finding their bags, these past few months it’s been hundreds and some can’t find security/TSA.” I myself see the garbage bag carry-ons from time to time now, truly astonishing. 

No Facts or Truths declared, just actual daily observation touring the world in/out of destinations domestically but mostly internationally.

• 5 weeks later...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/american-airlines-to-cut-service-to-15-cities-once-terms-on-billions-in-pandemic-aid-expire/2020/08/20/8701d21a-e2f2-11ea-8dd2-d07812bf00f7_story.html

AA cutting service to 15 cities starting in October, including lovely Hell Rio, TX. I feel bad for all the poor bastards out in Laughlin who now can’t even escape easily.

1 hour ago, nsplayr said:

I feel bad for all the poor bastards out in Laughlin who now can’t even escape easily.

Don't feel bad at all.  

I spent 4 years at DLF with no airline service.  

Back then, we drove these things called "cars" to where we wanted to go.  Everyone crying about no airline service needs to give it a try.  Get a fast "car" and go.  With your buds.  

You can be at SAT airport in about 2 hours.  No different than flying out of DLF.  And a lot more convenient.  

BTW... front gate of DLF to front gate of Randolph in 2+12.  On a Friday.  Going through the city at rush hour.  (According to a friend... not that I approve of such behavior from 22 year old student pilots.)  That was when the Auger Inn was "a thing".  

Oh... and when you see a Border Patrol airplane at 50' AGL flying east-bound, down the shoulder of Hwy 90, and they pass you... and then YOU decide to pass THEM... it's pretty fun.  

I had a blast in DLF.  There's no reason you can't.  Even if you're from "up north" and used to having 1,000,000 people in a square mile of city.  Give it the college try.  

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

BTW... front gate of DLF to front gate of Randolph in 2+12.  On a Friday.  Going through the city at rush hour.  (According to a friend... not that I approve of such behavior from 22 year old student pilots.)  That was when the Auger Inn was "a thing".

Front gate is more of a back gate now, love those remote loopholes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had three friends get FedEx interview invitations this week, and one get a job offer at UPS.

The dudes who got Purple invites:

- One current active duty pointy-nose TPS grad O-4 with a separation date on file this fall.

- One former pointy-nose driver, now reserve SUPT IP O-3.

- One former AD/reserve MC-12 and C-17 O-4, now a couple years into a Legacy (and vulnerable to being furloughed) who didn't previously have a FX app in.

The UPS guy is a former pointy-nose DO who is freshly-separated.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Don't feel bad at all.  

Back then, we drove these things called "cars" to where we wanted to go.  Everyone crying about no airline service needs to give it a try.  Get a fast "car" and go.  With your buds.  

You can be at SAT airport in about 2 hours.  No different than flying out of DLF.  And a lot more convenient.  

Oh... and when you see a Border Patrol airplane at 50' AGL flying east-bound, down the shoulder of Hwy 90, and they pass you... and then YOU decide to pass THEM... it's pretty fun.  

I had a blast in DLF.  There's no reason you can't.  Even if you're from "up north" and used to having 1,000,000 people in a square mile of city.  Give it the college try.  

Just watch out for “Bracketville Bob”. If I remember right the speed limit went from 55 to something like 25 miles outside of town. Bob would pull you over for doing 26 and he just loved UPT students coming through on the weekends on the way to San Anton’. Damn that was a long time ago. Thanks for reminding me that I’m old Huggy. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Prozac said:

Just watch out for “Bracketville Bob”.

Sounds like Parmer County, TX near Clovistan. Both my wife and I managed to get tickets there. Highway speed limit drops from 80 to maybe 55 way outside whatever little collection of 3 buildings passes for a town there. I swear 95% of the town’s budget must come from speeding tickets from CVS personnel. F that place. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, nsplayr said:

Sounds like Parmer County, TX near Clovistan. Both my wife and I managed to get tickets there. Highway speed limit drops from 80 to maybe 55 way outside whatever little collection of 3 buildings passes for a town there. I swear 95% of the town’s budget must come from speeding tickets from CVS personnel. F that place. 

They have those little two-shack townships with surprise drastic speed changes on both sides of that gem of a town.  I was trailering my motorcycle headed east through Taiban and definitely saw some blue lights flash brightly.  Even though I slowed, they didn't pursue, despite being well over any "You're new here, let this be a warning" speed...

It must have been something about my motorcycle being roughly 5 times the value of the car towing it (and clearly apparent to the uninformed observer), that caused the fuzz to question whether his radar gun was working!

On 8/21/2020 at 12:52 AM, HuggyU2 said:

Don't feel bad at all.  

The drive times are a little longer now, but in the ballpark. I don't wish deathway 90 on anyone, I did lose squadronmates to that road during my tenure.

I went the other way, and got an airplane (owned two of them during my tenure, since had to trade up when the kid came along and 160hp wasn't gonna cut it anymore). My family wouldn't have happened if it weren't for the spam cans. Places like DLF are perfect for that kind of mission. Some of the more memorable trips of that chapter of our lives were in the ol' spam cans. It truly became a pressure relief valve, and travel to my wife's family back in the KTIK area was a breeze vice driving. My avatar pic is of the second plane right there at the ramp at Pico circa 2013, which I still own.

Regarding airline service, it went in cycles, due to the non-profitable nature of the city pair. Colgan had the contract with UA during the first half of my tenure there. Then the city lost service. As the pay and travel guy at my sq, I dealt with that fallout a lot. They regained service back a year or so before I finally got my parole from the place. AA feeder carrier. And now lost again as noted above. Doesn't surprise me in this environment. 

The one thing we legitimately miss? No traffic. But that's more of a pre-retirement lifestyle complaint. One of the appeals of airline de facto part time work, is the flexibility to live where you want. I think we're gonna try for smaller towns within driving distance to healthcare and urban conveniences when I get done with uncle sugar, since the wife is younger than me by a good clip and expects to remain in the workforce well after my second retirement. GA flying in retirement is a must (I didn't undergo all this indentured service to end up playing canasta in my off time), and since the finances don't quite justify airpark living, proximity to an airport with hangars will continue to be a driver. Good bad or indifferent, exurban living is more compatible with airplane ownership than metro core living, due to storage shortages and price pressures making it relatively unaffordable. We're not quite willing to retire to a place like DLF over it, but I'm, sure we'll find a middle ground location when we get to that bridge. 

• Upvote 2

On 8/21/2020 at 11:18 AM, Hacker said:

Had three friends get FedEx interview invitations this week, and one get a job offer at UPS.

The dudes who got Purple invites:

- One current active duty pointy-nose TPS grad O-4 with a separation date on file this fall.

- One former pointy-nose driver, now reserve SUPT IP O-3.

- One former AD/reserve MC-12 and C-17 O-4, now a couple years into a Legacy (and vulnerable to being furloughed) who didn't previously have a FX app in.

The UPS guy is a former pointy-nose DO who is freshly-separated.

Did the guys with FDX invites all have an internal rec?

1 hour ago, AZwildcat said:

Did the guys with FDX invites all have an internal rec?

Only one of the three that I know of.

The Personal Endorsement continues to be important, but the same things that have always made a strong application apparently continue to be too.