The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

Ahem, us helo guys would beg to differ.

I’ve actually known a couple helo guys who did touch and gos at the regionals and then picked up for a Major. Believe it or not your helo time still carries weight!

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

12 hours ago, nunya said:

The only thing keeping you from getting called for the interview might be felonies and drugs, but there are still plenty of ways to f up the interview, and not giving it the proper respect is the first way.  

I'm not saying walk in there in flip flops with a cigarette in your mouth because you're guaranteed a job, but it's going to take a lot for us mil types to really fuck it up to not get a CJO from somebody.  I personally don't know a single mil guy/gal that hasn't gotten a single CJO because they fucked up the interview, but of course anything is possible once the door is closed and it's just you and the company suits.

Just had a bro hired by United a couple months ago. C-virus is overhyped by the media like SARS, Swine flu, etc. I don’t think this will affect anything in the grand scheme of things.  True the Max has hurt more than United, but reference the first sentence - that happened well into the Max saga. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BADFNZ said:

I'm not saying walk in there in flip flops with a cigarette in your mouth because you're guaranteed a job, but it's going to take a lot for us mil types to really fuck it up to not get a CJO from somebody.  I personally don't know a single mil guy/gal that hasn't gotten a single CJO because they fucked up the interview, but of course anything is possible once the door is closed and it's just you and the company suits.

Regardless... the interview isn't a formality, and guys making the leap are best not to carry the attitude of thinking they have it in the bag. There is still a lot of competition for those seats.

Saw a mil dude not get hired...dressed well/looked professional, but all I know from a little BSing is he did zero interview prep and had a strong, “I’m here, so I got the job already” attitude. Obviously the interview didn’t go well. So yeah, you can still fuck it up. 

Yup, 3 of my squadron mates got the call back in 6 months and a 4th didn't get hired on his second try.  One of the guys that was not hired at his legacy interview had been hired by both FedEx and UPS in the two week prior to that interview.  Don't just expect to show up and take the job, unless it's AAL, if you get called down there it's basically yours to lose.  By far, they had the most chill and relaxed interview I've ever done.  Very few people weren't hired.  That said,  still show up prepared. 

• Like 1

Update:  UAL just cancelled the 3 March Indoc class. 

I’d tell you where I heard it, but if I “name drop”, Karl Hungus will be triggered. 

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Like 1

Update:  UAL just cancelled the 3 March Indoc class. 

Corona virus route cancellations & 737 Max I’d guess?

Hope it’s only a short respite. FedEx hasn’t had an Indoc class since Oct; rumormill says we’ll start normal indoc again sometime between Mar-Jun ‘20.

There are 8 going to HKG in Mar ‘20...that part is not rumor. But real hiring beyond that? No pilot knows the answer.

5 hours ago, ImNotARobot said:

Is there even a grain of truth in this article?

Yes. 
Some base/equipment/seats have been offered 50 hours of pay to take the month off. 

Edited by HuggyU2

5 hours ago, torqued said:

Party's over. Calling it now: Negative Growth in 2020.

"It's just the flu."

Party just floated the keg...we're all just losing our buzz while they tap the next keg.  

37 minutes ago, HuggyU2 said:

Yes. 
Some base/equipment/seats have been offered 50 hours of pay to take the month off. 

Man, I'd take me some of that.  Vacation! 

Sign me up!
Better to just bid reserve and get 75 hours of pay for not flying. That open time is going to get gobbled quickly, esp. this time of year when it's pretty scarce to begin with.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, AirGuardianC141747 said:

Cargo side declared minimal growth if any since 1 Jan/1st Qtr start even before things went viral. (more realistic meaning now)

Meanwhile, there is a multi-day backlog of freight going both directions at Purple ramps across Asia, and there aren't enough airframes or crews in the system to move anything close to the demand.

Just a bunch of analysts indicating a change for the better (some growth) forecast for 2020. Modest 2% volume increase (initially 2.7%); however, revenue gains may be slightly less than forecasted back in June 2019 dependent upon pricing, tariffs, fuel, and everything else well beyond my scope. Mid 2020 will be a good indicator perhaps. Staying in the Black will be good.

Cargo backs up due to many ripples in the flow. Like you, seen plenty awaiting delivery at various stations. I don’t hang out at pure sort facilities so you have that picture. If Purple was really under any pressure they would resume additional contracts like they do every year during peak. UPS does the same. They’re doing fine, unless you have have seen any outsourcing. Just a question.

Edited by AirGuardianC141747

I'm kind of curious to see how Amazon's airlift plans are affected.  Probably nothing crazy.  But I'm still interested to see how they react.  

No, Karl, I don't know Jeff B.  

On 3/2/2020 at 12:52 PM, okawner said:

Better to just bid reserve and get 75 hours of pay for not flying. That open time is going to get gobbled quickly, esp. this time of year when it's pretty scarce to begin with.

Only works if you don't plan on going anywhere.  75 hours but you're still technically on the hook.  50 hours and no strings attached...I'd take that all year.  50 hours is more than enough for me.   

Edited by SocialD
  • Upvote 1

On 3/2/2020 at 12:44 PM, AirGuardianC141747 said:

Cargo side declared minimal growth if any since 1 Jan/1st Qtr start even before things went viral. (more realistic meaning now)

Well FedEx is making a lot of lemonade with those lemons. Hacker’s info is accurate. They’ve also said there isn’t enough time this year or aircraft in our fleet to move all the freight that’s available as a result of the lost belly freight from the pax airlines cutting Asia flights.   They are making a metric shit ton of money. Now if we can just convince them to give us lowly pilots a little taste in exchange for all the ass pain we’re enduring out on the line.  Once again through nothing other than external circumstances, the cargo airlines might start looking pretty dayum good to those who may have turned their nose up at them a month ago.

Whether you reconsider cargo or stick with chasing a pax gig, It is a worthwhile wake up call to some of you guys thinking about making the leap off active duty.   It’s been ice cream cones and blow jobs for quite a few years and it’s easy to forget ( or lack awareness to begin with)  what a shit show the airline industry can be when things suddenly get bad. Those of you considering pulling chocks without a safety net might want to reconsider that guard or reserve job.   It saved my ass when I got furloughed and just prior to that, things were looking just as rosy then as they have been lately. Just sayin’ -  give it some serious thought. 

Edited by JeremiahWeed