The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

How early is too early to take mil leave?  Is there such a thing?
I got hired at a major and will start training right when I begin terminal leave.  I also Palace Chased but won't have a chance to in-process with my unit until after airline training.  Would it be frowned upon to finish training, then immediately drop mil leave to head up to my AFRC unit to in-process?  Is there an unwritten limit on how much mil leave I should take in this instance considering I'd still be on IOE and probation?
It shouldn't take more than a day or two (or maybe a week) to inprocess your unit. Noone is going to bat an eyelash to that, but just make sure you are working with your training schedulers managing your OE. They will most likely not have issues with short-term stuff. I still went to UTA's and flew with my unit during OE and consolidation. No questions asked. However, we (mil-types) were pulled to the side during INDOC by the company mil-rep and were explained the mil-leave do's and don'ts. They basically recommended NOT dropping long-term orders during OE and consolidation (first 120 days). They want you to get your 100 hrs and get out of restricted status. However, they said, "if you gotta... you gotta". If it's an involuntary mob, they can't really do much about it (but, really... how many invol mobs are being handed out these days?).

9 hours ago, brabus said:

Whatever you do, make sure you swear in to the guard the next day after your last day on AD...have a plan to make it happen, including a day of mil leave if required. That’s not something you want to screw up.

Can you help me build some SA on why it’s so important not to have any gap during the transition? How severe is the ass pain that results from a break in service?

23 minutes ago, mcbush said:

Can you help me build some SA on why it’s so important not to have any gap during the transition? How severe is the ass pain that results from a break in service?

It is not important. I have several friends that had a gap in service. It mattered not.

49 minutes ago, mcbush said:

The major benefit for me in not having one was 6 months of TAMP. YMMV.

• Upvote 1

Believe it can also F-up your flight pay. Breaks in service are never really beneficial.

No TAMP, fucked up pay, fucked up GI bill, etc. Nothing that can’t mostly be overcome eventually, but how much time are you wanting to spend over a months long period at FM and MPF pulling your hair out wanting to throat punch the idiot behind the desk? Maybe you get lucky and don’t experience that, but why risk it?

In the end it’s signing paperwork, so if no shit it’s either swear in or go to indoc, talk to your unit and see what they’re willing to do (backdate paperwork, etc.)

• Like 2

On 8/6/2019 at 5:54 PM, hindsight2020 said:

Froggy? Probation? LOL. Try the last trip of IOE. Seen it happen twice. And not just any ol'  "31+" MLOA... no no, actual effin' Title 10 3-year EAD (AGR) orders.

Smoke em if you got em.

My in-processing consisted of dropping my medical record at medical, flight records are ARMS, flight gear at AFE, a few forms at finance/personnel/comm and I was done in time for the lunch push.

You, my friend, must have the most hard-working and efficient support personnel in the entire Guard... I have never had that experience in ANY of my in/out-processing situations.

...except, I suppose, the one time I (literally) said, "F**k it, you figure it out", left the paperwork at home station, and went to school with no issues. Maybe I got lucky, or maybe none of that shit matters anyway.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, so.it.goes said:

You, my friend, must have the most hard-working and efficient support personnel in the entire Guard... I have never had that experience in ANY of my in/out-processing situations.

...except, I suppose, the one time I (literally) said, "F**k it, you figure it out", left the paperwork at home station, and went to school with no issues. Maybe I got lucky, or maybe none of that shit matters anyway.

Ha, I wish.  While we have some phenomenal people working in our FSS, they still can be a royal PITA.  I walked in one day to get my CAC renewed and there was no-one to be seen.  Wandered around, found the FSS Chief.  She investigated and it turns out everyone was on leave to drop their kids off at a state military kids camp...the one remaining guy got sent out that am on an emergency TDY (for personnel lol).  The chief was as dumbfounded as I was and lost her shit.  I could also write a book on just our finance shop.

I just prescribe to the line of thinking in your second paragraph.   If you do those few items I mentioned, everything else will work itself out.  I remember when I left Luke, they wanted me to log into some online program and out-process using some ridiculously long, drawn out checklist, which involved stopping at the library (I didn't even know they had a library) for a signature, as well as the chaplin or something.  Fuck that, I grabbed my AFE gear, my flight records and medical records then jumped in the car and started my drive home.  I never heard a word about it, so clearly it didn't matter.  A helpful tactic is to walk into a shop and tell them you have to be out the door at X time for an appointment (works on car salesman as well).  If it can't be finished by that time, just send the rest to my email and I'll get it back to you when I come back to work.  

yeah understood, "tragedy of the commons" behavior abounds.  To each their own.
I get the attractiveness of a 20 yr AD retirement check, but Jesus... it'd take an economic disaster/furlough for me to take long term mil leave and go back to the unit on orders. Sorry, I like working
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I get the attractiveness of a 20 yr AD retirement check, but Jesus... it'd take an economic disaster/furlough for me to take long term mil leave and go back to the unit on orders. Sorry, I like working

Hmmm... my post looks cut off. Is everyone else seeing it end abruptly at "like working"?

22 minutes ago, hindsight2020 said:

The irony of your post ending in "I like working" in a thread about scoffing at airline work via MLOA, is must definitively not lost on me. Freudian slip if there ever was one, even if "tapatalk did it". 😄😉

I don't think Gazmo is a long term mloa type of guy.  Maybe he was saying that he liked working a total of 4 days this month for 88 hours of pay as a line holder, like I'm doing this month 🤣.

Edited by SocialD
  • Like 3

I don't think Gazmo is a long term mloa type of guy.  Maybe he was saying that he liked working a total of 4 days this month for 88 hours of pay as a line holder, like I'm doing this month .

Yes... that is what I was trying to say and it cut off half my post bragging that I have only worked 6 days in the last 30 with 3 nights away from home (and some of those days I was home by lunch time). I think it is a government conspiracy! No - definitely not a long term MLOA type of guy here. I barely remember how to set my alarm anymore.

I love it though when my unit tries to sell a temp AGR tour with, "Hey, if you ever want a break from the airline life, we can get you some orders!". YGTBSM. Yes, please give me back those computer screen migrain headaches I got rid of. Oh and those meetings. I love meetings!!! Send me to lots of worthless meetings so I can't get $hit done all day. One last thing; start lots of fires for me to put out before I get there because I miss those also! 22 days per month too! The toughest decision I have now after getting to "work" and going through the KCM is - mocha latte or Jamba Juice?

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Gazmo said:

The toughest decision I have now after getting to "work" and going through the KCM is - mocha latte or Jamba Juice?

I think you’ve forgotten an important possibility there. 

35C50AC4-90D0-48EA-BFCB-C69F8FB29416.gif.b100213bcda919ebf073c13fcf6fad66.gif

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

For purposes of ATP mins and airline hiring, how should sim time (in a level D) be logged? I'm hearing/reading various guidance, from logging it as sim time only, to logging it as total time, sim time, instrument time, PIC or SIC, all at once. I don't want to overreach and get my hand slapped when I'm going for an ATP or applying, but I also don't want to cut myself out of 80+ hours of usable time.

11 minutes ago, herkbier said:

It’s sim time only. Also, 80 hours isn’t going to be a deal breaker for a mil guy. I’m a child of sequestration.. 1/10 of my total flight time is Other time.. counts for zero. 

I'm a reservist off the street with no real prior flight time to speak of, so I'm trying to set myself up in case whatever full-time status I am on fall through. I'd rather have an R-ATP in my back pocket in case Sequestration Part II occurs.

For purposes of ATP mins and airline hiring, how should sim time (in a level D) be logged? I'm hearing/reading various guidance, from logging it as sim time only, to logging it as total time, sim time, instrument time, PIC or SIC, all at once. I don't want to overreach and get my hand slapped when I'm going for an ATP or applying, but I also don't want to cut myself out of 80+ hours of usable time.

It has to be an FAA-certified sim...not just the AF “level D”.

Not one, never gonna be one, but curious question:

Billy Bob is hired by airline X.  Who/how decides what his/her original equipment/domicile will be?

I understand that both equipment/seat/domicile can change, but who/how is the initial one set?

Not asking for a friend, just mildly curious.