The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

30 minutes ago, nunya said:

Maybe, maybe not.  I think Amazon signing the checks and negotiating the contracts would be even worse for labor than ABX.

Considering their recent pullout from New York when they got taken to task about their anti-labor pre-reqs, I'd wager to guess you're right about and airline pilots labor groups' fate under their rule. 

4 hours ago, torqued said:

Andrew Yang made some great points

Can't wait for my monthly $1000 check because I've been replaced by a robot.

Yang’s plan is dead in the water being funded by a 10% VAT, without removing any other tax burdens.

Think about your monthly discretionary spending and how close to $1000 a 10% cut of that would be.

Even worse he admits that $12,000/year wouldn’t actually fix anyone’s financial woes, but it might make them “feel better”.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hacker said:

Yang’s plan is dead in the water being funded by a 10% VAT, without removing any other tax burdens.

Think about your monthly discretionary spending and how close to $1000 a 10% cut of that would be.

Even worse he admits that $12,000/year wouldn’t actually fix anyone’s financial woes, but it might make them “feel better”.

“Feel better” and get hooked on being paid for doing nothing, beholden to the government. Great. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Hacker said:

Yeah, Joe tried twice to press him on that but didn't follow through.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Hacker said:

Yeah, I think his solution sort of sucks, but I'll give him credit for attempting to address an impending major issue when no one else wants to talk about it. Living in a country 10-20 years from now where tens of millions of people have lost their careers due to automation and have become poor, desperate, and angry because we didn't get in front of it would also suck. 

2 minutes ago, torqued said:

Yeah, I think his solution sort of sucks, but I'll give him credit for attempting to address an impending major issue when no one else wants to talk about it. Living in a country 10-20 years from now where tens of millions of people have lost their careers due to automation and have become poor, desperate, and angry because we didn't get in front of it would also suck. 

Unless the autonomy is developing itself, there will be jobs; the real question is will people be willing to adapt? 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, SurelySerious said:

Unless the autonomy is developing itself, there will be jobs; the real question is will people be willing to adapt? 

Pilots, burger flippers, journalists, boat captains, retailers, taxi drivers, truck drivers:

aQqnV42_700b_v1.jpg

Edited by torqued
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, torqued said:

Living in a country 10-20 years from now where tens of millions of people have lost their careers due to automation and have become poor, desperate, and angry because we didn't get in front of it would also suck. 

Just like when the internal combustion engine but the entire horse-transportation industry, the entire steam engine industry, and others out of work forever...the world was never able to recover.

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, Hacker said:

Just like when the internal combustion engine but the entire horse-transportation industry, the entire steam engine industry, and others out of work forever...the world was never able to recover.

There were operators at the controls of both of those industries.  

13 hours ago, M2 said:

Speaking of robots, anyone else notice this?

A Navy Ship Sailed to Hawaii and Back With No One on Board

Actually saw another article on the same subject recently. When a lot of these things start getting fielded by different countries (depending on cost) I see the sea based leg of the triad in for a tougher time. Though I hope they don't overly rely on GPS for navigation as that's a whole lot of systems weak link. Persistent dwell will be their strength, just like RPAs are now.

2 hours ago, torqued said:

You should run for office with that campaign slogan. 

😆

Grounded in reality, not political feel goodism. I’ve had two siblings make major career changes as adults so far. Let politicians spew BS. 

1 hour ago, uhhello said:

That's hilarious.  1 job for every 50 lost at best case.

That’s just apocalyptic speculation at best, like a Malthusian catastrophe for the workforce. 

5 hours ago, Hacker said:

Those poor poor horses.

6 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

Grounded in reality, not political feel goodism. I’ve had two siblings make major career changes as adults so far. Let politicians spew BS. 

That’s great and I wish it worked like that, but the realism of “Your job is going away. Deal with it.” likely will not get people elected who set policy and create tomorrow’s reality.

2 minutes ago, torqued said:

That’s great and I wish it worked like that, but the realism of “Your job is going away. Deal with it.” likely will not get people elected who set policy and create tomorrow’s reality.

We have another thread for that.  Not this one.

21 hours ago, Hacker said:

One of my favorite quotes...

Image result for Henry Ford if I asked people

• Upvote 3