The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

• 2 months later...

I'll probably finish July at about $7K.  Not what you thought someone would post, huh?  😉

I'm spending the month enjoying my daughter's birthday, my anniversary, and lots of days with the kids at the pool.  I'll fly a few days to cover expenses.  It's good to have choices.

I'll probably finish July at about $7K.  Not what you thought someone would post, huh?  
I'm spending the month enjoying my daughter's birthday, my anniversary, and lots of days with the kids at the pool.  I'll fly a few days to cover expenses.  It's good to have choices.

Not bad considering I’m making about the same but missing kids’ birthdays, wife’s birthday, anniversary, and the entire summer with the kids while deployed.

Choices are good, I’m looking forward to having some.
  • Like 1

I, too. am not doing shit as far as chasing extra dollars over the summer - I would rather have the time with the kids while they are out of school.  But as far as QOL:

I worked my first day of the month yesterday and work 8 days in a row (by design, around the 4th holiday), then vacation, then 2 days to wrap the month up.  I have two 30+ layovers at home this week, so for that 8 day stretch, I am only in a hotel for two nights.  By month's end, I will have "worked" 10 days for the man, to include 2 full days home while getting paid, and I will have spent a total of three nights in a hotel.   

I'm not one who tracks every hour of pay and every dollar (probably should), but this will be a normal/normal-high paycheck for me - so around $13-14K gross, which amounts to about $9K take-home pay after voluntary deductions, paying for the union, and paying for the 47-percenter's to leech off the working man. 

4 hours ago, MooseAg03 said:

Thread bump. We’re into the busy flying season, anyone want to post their monthly gross for some motivation for those of us still in the penitentiary?

There was a great thread on APC where people were posting their 2017 W2 earnings with company, year, and caveats.  Incredibly informative.  Can't find the link now.

May - 13 days 

June - 6 days

July - 9 days

August - 12 days (I'll likely drop my entire schedule and pick up trips on days I actually want to work.  So maybe drop that to 9 days).

All for between 13-18k Gross, not including 401k/PS/Per diem.  Before my last trip I hadn't actually gone to work in 21 days, without taking a day of vacation (to include all of July 4th week off). 

If you can sit short call from home, WB reserve is where it's at!  I'll caveat this with the fact that Jul & Aug are actual lines and not reserve.  Another caveat is that my June/July schedules would reflect more days of work, but that's because of deadhead days that I deviate from and stay home.  For example, today I'm getting paid to sit at home...my trip doesn't sign in until 1830 tomorrow at JFK, so I'll just DH over there tomorrow afternoon.  Also, I don't have a wife or kids so I don't mind going on trips here and there.  Spending a few hours sipping wine at the base of the Acropolis or Pantheon isn't a terrible way to spend a day "working."  That said, I spend more of my time in Amsterdam, which also doesn't suck.

Delta 4 yr WB

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Hopefulflyer389 said:

You win

Actually, I think everyone after me will win.  I've been at AA since 99.  Went through the faux bankruptcy in 2003, retirement age change to 65 in 2009, and the "real" bankruptcy in 2011.  So there was a decade+ of pay reduction/stagnation and very little seniority improvement. There are guys/girls now with only a couple years in the airline business making the same that I hit only 3-4 years ago.  The retirement rate at all airlines is going to create a lot of turnover meaning rapid seniority advancement.  No guarantees it will be an awesome career but I think the chances are good.

I take home a little over $12k each month after taxes.  I sit narrow body reserve at min hours every month since April (I think August is a higher hour month though) 

Worked:

April- 4 days

May- 4 days

June- 6 days

July- 4 days so far. Tried to work a 3 day trip starting Monday but didn't get it so likely I will have the week off...not looking like I will work at all the rest of the month

August- 13 days of vacation, built another 6 days off for a "mini vacation" at the end of the month as well so I will sit reserve 10 of the remaining days but not sure how much I will actually "work"

I commute from Fedex, and am gone from home 12-14 days a month in my 2nd year. We have many trips that start or end away from domicile, so some of those days of paid "work" are just you as a passenger flying to or from your real home to whatever city your trip starts or ends from. It's surprising to me how little seniority you need to hold the commutable trips. 

Fedex has limited domiciles but great commutability. 

Conversely, I spent the last two years at Purple flying local Out & Back flights.  Memphis to Knoxville was my favorite...45 minutes there, on the ground long enough to eat the catering, then a 45 minute flight back.  Widebody FO pay and I didn't even leave the state of TN.  I slept in my own bed every night.  Didn't even pack a bag...just showed up with my company iPad.  I cleared $200K my second year, and that's with dropping about 15-20% of my trips for .mil leave.  

After two years of that, I decided to change it up and bid Captain.  The lines aren't as nice, but the pay is ridiculous.  After everyone is through training on this bid cycle, I should be senior enough to hold a reserve line.  That way I can get paid to wait at home by the pool/phone.  

Edited by ARAMP1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Guardian said:

For the guys who commute on here, it’s nice to see how many days you worked on reserve or on your line. But how many days did that have you away from home? That’s my metric.

As I said I sit reserve, commute, and am very junior (read 95% best case from the top I believe).  I am very very lucky as I commute NY-ATL and I have basically hourly service between the two every day.  I have been away from home the same number of days I have worked (average 4 days per month).  Now that takes 2 things into consideration: 1) I am very proactive in working my schedule, and working my requests to fly and/or sit short call which has worked out so far  2) my category is very overmanned and thus far this summer has been at the min hours end of the spectrum so that helps greatly too.  

I consider myself incredibly lucky in how the summer has gone and realize it will not continue forever.  When I get transferred back to NY base, I will likely work more each month but since no commuting I won't have to play with my schedule nearly as much. 

On 7/14/2018 at 5:22 PM, HossHarris said:

I had 2 1/2 weeks off into a trip starting tomorrow. 

I’ll work sun-wed the rest of the month. 

I’ll gross around 10k. 

Delta, year 2

Hoss, what aircraft are you on? Got hired last month and (hopefully) start soon. Tryin to get an idea of pay and quality of life. 

2 hours ago, Lumbergh said:

Hoss, what aircraft are you on? Got hired last month and (hopefully) start soon. Tryin to get an idea of pay and quality of life. 

Maddog. 

Its hot, shitty, and goes to a lot of terrible places. 3-5 legs per day. 

But I’m at 50% seniority after a little over a year, only sat reserve for 2 months, and haven’t worked a weekend since the first month. 

Seniority is key. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HossHarris said:

Maddog. 

Its hot, shitty, and goes to a lot of terrible places. 3-5 legs per day. 

But I’m at 50% seniority after a little over a year, only sat reserve for 2 months, and haven’t worked a weekend since the first month. 

Seniority is key. 

Heh heh, to be clear... this is airline hot, airline shitty and airline terrible places. 

Still worlds better than -135s at AUAB in the summer. 

I’m 737s on Short Call, live in domicile, and have worked 6 days this month, half of those beings a deadhead only days. While I did get assigned a 3 day trip starting tomorrow, I’m hoping that’ll be it for the month. 

Honestly, this job makes you really lazy. 

Edited by xaarman

On 7/15/2018 at 8:57 AM, TreeA10 said:

Actually, I think everyone after me will win.  

Word.

My hat is off to those of you that rode out The Lost Decade.  What a shitty time to be an airline pilot.  

Glad to see AA's latest monster-bid, and everyone there moving up finally.