The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

On 3/18/2018 at 12:20 AM, Azimuth said:

Never flown American huh?  Good, me either.

?? I fly AA all the time and for a US airline, I can say that I'm consistently satisfied with the product and on a pretty regular basis, even impressed.  The perks for elite customers are outstanding.  Their lounges have been dramatically improved, I get upgraded on 99% of the coach tickets I buy and rarely have the stereotypical old, inattentive FAs.  The service is usually outstanding, food and entertainment system is excellent and I'd give the drink menu a solid A-.  I also haven't had a single baggage issue in over 10 years and rarely wait longer than 10 minutes for it once I'm in baggage claim.

Next trip I have a first class ticket on Cathay Pacific from Paris to China.  Now, if you're going to use that as a comparison, AA would come in second place.  But not by a overwhelming margin.  So, for what it's worth, I still say they're pretty damn good all things considered.  Definitely the best US airline in my experience with Delta running second.  UAL isn't even close.  On occasion I end up on them and it's truly amazing how bad they are across the board in comparison.

1 hour ago, Hacker said:

I have slept in the back of my old overland-converted 3rd gen 4Runner in Lot C.  The USO is a nice place to sit reserve, too.

I know several guys that do it, it just makes LA->Vegas so much funnier.  I think they read APC threads for show ideas.

4 hours ago, Jaded said:

Fedex pilot huh? 

Yes.  Although the Cathay flight is my doing - not the company's.  They had me direct to CAN on Air France in business class for $6400.  I decided to deviate from their plan, found the first class ticket on Cathay for $5500.  Saved me some $ for other travel expenses, got a better ride, some AA frequent flyer miles and all it costs me is a 2 hour connection in Hong Kong.  That should be enough time to stop by their lounge for a free foot massage and a few fingers of 18 year old single malt (ah.. who am I kidding, it'll probably be at least a whole hand). :beer:

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, JeremiahWeed said:

Yes.  Although the Cathay flight is my doing - not the company's.  They had me direct to CAN on Air France in business class for $6400.  I decided to deviate from their plan, found the first class ticket on Cathay for $5500.  Saved me some $ for other travel expenses, got a better ride, some AA frequent flyer miles and all it costs me is a 2 hour connection in Hong Kong.  That should be enough time to stop by their lounge for a free foot massage and a few fingers of 18 year old single malt (ah.. who am I kidding, it'll probably be at least a whole hand). :beer:

you sir...are big ballin

There's a couple of us... Started Indoc 23 Jan, currently in the sim phase now. 

Interview gouge on the internets is pretty spot on. If you've passed the video interview and have been invited for the face to face, the odds are in your favor.

• Like 1

On March 21, 2018 at 12:46 PM, JeremiahWeed said:

Thanks for the clarification. Initially I thought you fell for the rookie mistake of thinking the scheduled deadhead on CA meant "Cathay" (CX). Made that mistake once.  Although China Air wasn't bad (seat was good, food and alcohol not so much), I too deviate to avoid CA.  Finn Air usually cheaper and better.

• 3 weeks later...

For those considering a gig in the regionals, here's some info on Air Wisconsin's "up to $57k" bonus.  It doesn't incur any contractual time obligation; however, there are points at which the money is considered "earned" and no longer subject to payback, as detailed below.

$5k paid on first paycheck.  Earned following IOE.

$26k paid upon completion of IOE, with a potential additional $8k to be paid as detailed below.  If you leave the company less than one year prior to date of hire you owe the entire amount back.  If it's paid back in the current tax rate you repay the net, BUT if it's repaid in the next tax year, you owe the gross.  This can be a BIG deal.  at 13-24 months you would owe back a pro-rated amount based on the months with the company to 24 months, after which it's considered earned.

$10k paid on first anniversary, earned on a pro-rated monthly basis.

Remaining $8k paid quarterly after year 3 if you haven't upgraded to Captain yet (unlikely, as upgrade times are 18-24 months, probably less)

The additional $8k on the post-IOE bonus is tricky for military guys.  Everything published says you need to have an ATP when hired and come from a part 121, 135, or 91K job, with a type in a CREW aircraft >12.5k MGTOW.  For military guys you just need the ATP and type rating in the crew airplane >12.5, no requirement for 121/135/91K experience.  That means if you flew the T-1 (and got the type) and have an ATP in hand, you get the money subject to the payback schedule detailed above.

Edited by Napoleon_Tanerite
  • Upvote 1

On 4/9/2018 at 7:24 PM, Napoleon_Tanerite said:

For those considering a gig in the regionals, here's some info on Air Wisconsin's "up to $57k" bonus.

Good details to know.

Most military dudes -- even those who are somewhat light on multi PIC time -- won't spend very long at the regionals (6-24 months), and could get caught in one of these traps.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hacker said:

Good details to know.

Most military dudes -- even those who are somewhat light on multi PIC time -- won't spend very long at the regionals (6-24 months), and could get caught in one of these traps.

I can't speak with certainty about how the other regionals handle the big bonuses that they're offering, but I imagine it is a similar setup.  I'd still recommend taking the money, but treat it like when finance overpays you.  By that I mean take it, invest it, keep the interest, but be prepared to cough up the principle at any time.  AWA does give you the option to defer the bonus until you reach the "earned" thresholds.  This takes away your opportunity to earn interest off the money, but shields you from the tax liability.  I'm no financial adviser, but I would say that it's really going to depend on what you can do with the money whether it is beneficial to take it.

49 minutes ago, Guardian said:

Asking for a friend.

Can you be an AGR on leave and make it through your initial stuff with an airline then go back to AGR and drop userra?

What is your friend going to say when he turns in the orders and the start date is before he was hired at the airline?

Can he curtail the AGR orders, go while on terminal leave, and then get a new set of orders?

Asking for a friend.

Can you be an AGR on leave and make it through your initial stuff with an airline then go back to AGR and drop userra?

-Can easily get fired from airline job for this. Will be no hiding it once the orders are turned in.
-Can also get disciplined from military for this.

2 hours ago, Guardian said:

Is it illegal? Reference?

So.....you're asking (for your friend) if it's ok to be full time active duty military (which is what an AGR is doing), without any intention of stopping full time military service, while starting employment at an airline under the auspices of going to work for them by taking some of your leave, only to leave the airline once your seniority number is secured?  All by using USERRA protections to screw the company without ever leaving or intending to leave full time active duty service in the military?

How on God's green earth does someone think this could possibly be OK?

Edited by RTB
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4