The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

5 hours ago, brickhistory said:

Georgia State Senate and Lt Gov threatening to hold up $40 million in fuel tax offsets to Delta over this.

Delta yesterday put out a "What the PR department meant to say" statement yesterday.

Decisions can have consequences.

FEDEX appears to be saying "we don't care one way or the other" and ignoring the SJWs.

I agree that decisions have consequences, but we're already doing just fine without these tax offsets.  $40 million in offsets is a drop in the bucket right now.  Will this actually go through?  LOTS of Delta employees (voters) living in GA and Delta is a MAJOR economic engine in ATL.  I'm sure it will be in the news for a bit, but not something I'm terribly worried about.  

FedEx is kinda saying that...

https://about.van.fedex.com/newsroom/fedex-responds-questions-national-rifle-association-gun-safety-policy/

Edited by SocialD

On 2/27/2018 at 5:33 PM, brickhistory said:

Digression over.

Back to you guys telling us how much money you make for sitting at home or in a crashpad.

Okay!  

I made $130k at the airline and worked an average of 11 days a month last year. Many of those were half days, as I had zero report times before noon.  At least 2 of those 11 per month were “off days” on 30 hour layovers.  Oh hey, I’m on one right now.  Drinking Guinness for $2.35/hour per diem and $1000/ day pay.  Meh.

i mention this not as a brag (that’s chump change for airline guys) but as a data point.  Run! Fucking run!  You’re treated better and well compensated.  The Air Force no longer deserves the sacrifice so many good people endure to serve.  The O-6s and above just don’t care about anyone but themselves.   I can’t stand their bottom-shelf management (leadership nowhere to be found) and the self-serving buffoons in charge constantly crushing what little morale and QOL we have left.

Calling it a career (AD/ANG) later this year.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/united-airlines-is-making-its-employees-take-compassion-training/ar-BBK0ayk

So, is United taking a play out of Big Blue's book?  Can anyone with United say if you're getting paid for this four hour training? 

Unfortunately Delta and United’s management have gone full SJW the last few years.  

51 minutes ago, dream big said:

Unfortunately Delta and United’s management have gone full SJW the last few years.  

Or United just has the worst flight attendants and customer service agents in the industry..

Or United just has the worst flight attendants and customer service agents in the industry..

“2”. For work, I intentionally steer away from United at all costs. I fly frequently on all major airlines as a pax. My personal experience with UAL has been abysmal, from sitting domestic coach to Polaris lie-flat across the pond. I honestly don’t understand the culture difference between UAL and all others.

When I read that a UAL backenders coarse attitude has resulted in an animal death, I’m not surprised in the least.
  • Upvote 1

I find this curious. If this was the USAF that pilot would be behind bars on accusation alone but out in the real world, I wonder how this plays out.

Alaska Airlines female co-pilot claims male pilot drugged and raped herhttp://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/03/14/alaska-airlines-female-co-pilot-claims-male-pilot-drugged-and-raped-her.html

18 minutes ago, di1630 said:

I find this curious. If this was the USAF that pilot would be behind bars on accusation alone but out in the real world, I wonder how this plays out.

Alaska Airlines female co-pilot claims male pilot drugged and raped herhttp://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/03/14/alaska-airlines-female-co-pilot-claims-male-pilot-drugged-and-raped-her.html

Like if you hid TS material on a home computer?  Sorry.....couldn't resist.

• Like 2

If there are seats they can get on.  

Edit: For D, that's spouse or travel partner, parents, and kids.  No in-laws, siblings, etc.

We've had great luck going to off places in off times.  We buy seats if we gotta go or there are few flights.  We don't try to go to Orlando in March

More edit: Our trips are always 1 leg. Exponentially harder doing 2 leg non-rev.

Edited by nunya

Depends on where they fly from.  Out of DFW/CLT to another hub?  Good luck.

Out of a place like MSY it's a little easier.  

AA has various forms of pass travel for the standby priority list:

The highest is a D1T.  These are D1s that made a connection (doesn't have to be an airplane, could even be a train).  

Then D1  (Each employee and their spouse/kids get 6 one way passes per year)

Then D2T (D2 connection)

Then D2 (employees and dependents)

D2R (retirees)

D2P (Parents or in-laws... you pay taxes and fees on these)

D3 (Buddy passes.. you get 16 one way passes per year for up to 12 people on your list.  You have to pay the taxes and fees on them, but now you can make the D3 give you a credit card to pay for it.  Used to come out of your paycheck).

Within each group, priority is assigned based on check in time starting 24 hours prior.  

16 hours ago, di1630 said:

Airline dudes/dudettes:

What type of standby or pass benefits do your airlines offer you for family and what’s your good/bad experience with using them?

IMHO this is an almost unbelievable perk.  My parents are able to come visit as often as they want.  I fly literally all over the place on a whim.  Booking non-rev on other airlines is easy and free if you’re traveling by yourself.

You learn the ropes pretty quick.  Take the earliest flight possible, as once the first operational hiccup occurs, you could be SOL all day.  Keep an eye on the weather and plan accordingly.  Obviously some places are easier to get to than others but if you’ve got time and plan ahead, you’ll love it.

• Like 1