The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

2 hours ago, pelexecute said:

Looking for advice on when to set an availability date prior to official retirement. Currently I’m taking anticipated leave balance + 20 days PTDY and backing that up from my official retirement date in the summer of 2019. Is that the way to go or do I need to consider other factors?  Also, anyone know when/if MPF requires you to do a final out in person?  I’d appreciate any thoughts; seems like everyone I talk to has a different opinion. 

Leave+21 days ptdy+leave accrued during that span. 

Ive seen it done in as little as 2 weeks prior....but 3-6 months is more usual. 

Theres a bunch of shit to do to get out (taps, physicals, va paperwork, sbp, finance, Tmo, etc etc etc). And all the standard PCS outprocessing thrash as usual  

Theres lots of “extra” stuff you can do thru airman and family readiness (boots to business, etc) that are effectively on-base ptdy if you want to work less on the work days prior to terminal leave. 

You DO have to final out, in uniform, last thing before you start your last block of (terminal) leave. 

And read up on the final pt test rules. Some places are sticklers for it.  

Plan your timeline carefully .... a misstep can earn you a 179. Terminal leave is not guaranteed. Big blue only has to get you back 30 days prior to seperation date (i think .... read up) and is happy to let you sell the rest of your leave. 

Edited by HossHarris

2 hours ago, pelexecute said:

Looking for advice on when to set an availability date prior to official retirement. Currently I’m taking anticipated leave balance + 20 days PTDY and backing that up from my official retirement date in the summer of 2019. Is that the way to go or do I need to consider other factors?  Also, anyone know when/if MPF requires you to do a final out in person?  I’d appreciate any thoughts; seems like everyone I talk to has a different opinion. 

Finance, security badges and a final doctor visit where you lay the truth out on the table, the rest will work itself out.

Plan your timeline carefully .... a misstep can earn you a 179. Terminal leave is not guaranteed. Big blue only has to get you back 30 days prior to seperation date (i think .... read up) and is happy to let you sell the rest of your leave. 

Can you elaborate on this one? I’m debating how long to wait before dropping PC paper work. Right now I’m shooting for 8 months prior to desired separation date (not including terminal).

2 hours ago, MooseAg03 said:

Can you elaborate on this one? I’m debating how long to wait before dropping PC paper work. Right now I’m shooting for 8 months prior to desired separation date (not including terminal).

Read and become intimately familiar with the separations afi. 

Also depends if you’re trying to get to 20 or just get out. 

Know when you can (and can’t) 3-day opt, when you would be likely bulletproof for a 179 or 120. 

Its situation and TIS dependent. 

4 hours ago, Royal said:

SWA guys: If you're a lineholder looking to work a minimum number of days in a month, what would your schedule look like? How easy is it to drop trips? Could you get away with doing 3 three day trips?

yes, but it takes a bit of effort. first, you use a bid sorting program so sort your bid from most days off to least. unfortunately, after you recieve your bid line assignment, there isn't a way to straight drop a trip into open time. say you receive 4 three-day trips. you first post your undesired trip in the trip-trade/giveaway (TT/GA) section of the scheduling board website (crew web access). if someone wants it,  they will pick it up and it will disappear from your schedule. if it's somewhat undesirable, you may be able to trade with someone who wants to slide a day left or right, am flying for pm flying, a 1 day or 2 two day for your 3 day. there's plenty of guys out there looking to fly more. If for some reason that doesn't work out, there's electronic line improvement trip trade (ELITT). scheduling dumps all the unassigned trips into a pot. if you're quick on the draw at noon on the day ELITT opens (I think it's around the 25th), you can swap your trip for one that is more desirable (or easier to give away in TT/GA).  by the end of the day,  most people have been able to trade away their lesser trips. decent trips are still available throughout the month, but they're usually weekends, early departures, or late arrivals. advertising your trip for giveaway works well on the union msg board and facebook.

all that being said, going to work is my way to relax, unwind. it's engaging, but not stressful. i normally end up flying my line and not bothering with the above. if I need some specific/extra days off, i have always been able to get them. days off are always a phone call away if you are feeling sick or fatigued, but the pay is good and difficult to give up.

Edited by torqued
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, torqued said:

yes, but it takes a bit of effort. first, you use a bid sorting program so sort your bid from most days off to least. unfortunately, after you recieve your bid line assignment, there isn't a way to straight drop a trip into open time. say you receive 4 three-day trips. you first post your undesired trip in the trip-trade/giveaway (TT/GA) section of the scheduling board website (crew web access). if someone wants it,  they will pick it up and it will disappear from your schedule. if it's somewhat undesirable, you may be able to trade with someone who wants to slide a day left or right, am flying for pm flying, a 1 day or 2 two day for your 3 day. there's plenty of guys out there looking to fly more. If for some reason that doesn't work out, there's electronic line improvement trip trade (ELITT). scheduling dumps all the unassigned trips into a pot. if you're quick on the draw at noon on the day ELITT opens (I think it's around the 25th), you can swap your trip for one that is more desirable (or easier to give away in TT/GA).  by the end of the day,  most people have been able to trade away their lesser trips. decent trips are still available throughout the month, but they're usually weekends, early departures, or late arrivals. advertising your trip for giveaway works well on the union msg board and facebook.

all that being said, going to work is my way to relax, unwind. it's engaging, but not stressful. i normally end up flying my line and not bothering with the above. if I need some specific/extra days off, i have always been able to get them. days off are always a phone call away if you are feeling sick or fatigued, but the pay is good and difficult to give up.

Thanks, man; I appreciate the insight. Exactly what I needed to know.

On 1/28/2018 at 8:51 AM, brabus said:

Copy shots...I was not aware there was profit sharing, etc. immediately following hiring.  In my mind it was purely a number on a spread sheet and nothing more (e.g. no loss for the company in the short term); now I'm more educated (but still pretty dumb on the whole process).  I don't know exactly when the orders will start, but even if I'm hired quickly, I probably wouldn't be able to get through more than 4-6 months of probation.  Is at least some amount of probation OK or are you guys saying do all or don't even try for the airlines until you have the full year (or more) to commit?

Please do us at delta a favor and don’t come here.

On 2/6/2018 at 8:46 AM, Doc said:

What is this printer thingy of which you speak........... 

An ancient form of written communication before wireless digital connectivity. Some of the old folks still print words on the same type of material they wipe their ass with. Weird.

1 hour ago, torqued said:

Some of the old folks still print words on the same type of material they wipe their ass with. Weird.

Piss off, junior, and get off of my lawn.

Ram... get me an Ensure now!

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, tunes said:

Please do us at delta a favor and don’t come here.

That's a bit much.  Dude is just going with what he sees/hears a huge majority of the ARC guys doing after getting hired at the airlines.  Guys openly talk about this stuff all the time and although I wouldn't want to do it, I get it.  In same cases, my squadron included, these dudes are needed to fill vital spots in the squadron.  The airlines have gutted many squadrons of a huge majority of their experienced guys...and it's only going to get worse.  If some of our guys hadn't gone back on orders it would be nearly impossible to fill the alert schedule without outside help.  I'm glad these guys are willing to jump on that sword, because have I have absolutely ZERO desire to go back full time.  Even if I weren't still under my UPT ADSC, the current bonus isn't even half of what it would require for me to consider full time.  Also, don't act as if any airline wouldn't hesitate to drop any one of us if they could/needed. 

Having run the numbers myself, if you're only going to get a part time retirement, I don't see much gain in going full time just pad your points.  The $$$ I would lose by going full time, coupled with the time value of money, significantly dwarfs what little gain in (part time) retirement I would get.  Obviously if you're going to be able to make it to a full time retirement, that changes everything.  I'm just to far away from a full time retirement and I enjoy part time way too much. 

Edited by SocialD
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Hacker said:

The AF gutted itself, it isn't any fault or cause of the airlines.

Yep, I was getting out.  Airline hiring boom or not.  Once I clearly realized that lots of guys dumber and lazier than me managed to buy nice houses and feed their families just fine, my AD days were numbered.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SocialD said:

That's a bit much.  Dude is just going with what he sees/hears a huge majority of the ARC guys doing after getting hired at the airlines.  Guys openly talk about this stuff all the time and although I wouldn't want to do it, I get it.  In same cases, my squadron included, these dudes are needed to fill vital spots in the squadron.  The airlines have gutted many squadrons of a huge majority of their experienced guys...and it's only going to get worse.  If some of our guys hadn't gone back on orders it would be nearly impossible to fill the alert schedule without outside help.  I'm glad these guys are willing to jump on that sword, because have I have absolutely ZERO desire to go back full time.  Even if I weren't still under my UPT ADSC, the current bonus isn't even half of what it would require for me to consider full time.  Also, don't act as if any airline wouldn't hesitate to drop any one of us if they could/needed. 

Having run the numbers myself, if you're only going to get a part time retirement, I don't see much gain in going full time just pad your points.  The $$$ I would lose by going full time, coupled with the time value of money, significantly dwarfs what little gain in (part time) retirement I would get.  Obviously if you're going to be able to make it to a full time retirement, that changes everything.  I'm just to far away from a full time retirement and I enjoy part time way too much. 

While i get that, if he does what he’s saying all he does is screw his buddy...likely someone he doesn’t even know. I’m all for benefiting your situation, but you need to get off probation before pulling a stunt like that. As others have said, they cant fire you for mil leave, but it will put a big target on your back and any minor slip up and you are gone. I’m on the mil affairs committee and out of our ~1,500 mil pilots less than 10 are problem children. Just don’t be ‘that guy’. 

Question for the masses. I’m about 50/50 on if I will be separating in the next 6 to 8 months (pending second passover). Should I go ahead and post my airline apps with my end of UPT commitment being my availability date (1.5 years away) and move it up if I get passed over, or just wait to get passed over before I publish them with an “immediate” availability date? Thanks!

2 hours ago, Duck said:

Question for the masses. I’m about 50/50 on if I will be separating in the next 6 to 8 months (pending second passover). Should I go ahead and post my airline apps with my end of UPT commitment being my availability date (1.5 years away) and move it up if I get passed over, or just wait to get passed over before I publish them with an “immediate” availability date? Thanks!

The exec network told me we should be finding out about the recent Majors board in March..fwiw.

2 hours ago, Duck said:

If you are talking about an O-4 board isn’t it a 100% promotion now for AD?

9 hours ago, Duck said:

Duck, I'd release them now with your anticipated separation date; it doesn't hurt anything. If you find out you'll be getting out sooner, bump up your availability, like you said. Having them in the queue has no negative impact from what I've seen; it might even help, if there are items you need to correct on the app. Good luck.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Duck said:

Post now.  I believe most airlines like to see apps updated frequently.  Even if you aren't currently, and may not be available for a while, it looks good to keep it in queue with updates at regular intervals to show interest.  That's just my suggestion, though.

• Like 1