The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

Never trust CEOs, CFOs, etc. Very few names come up as stand up folks. They’re like politicians, take the credit during good times, lay the blame elsewhere during hard times which they contributed too behind the scenes or blatantly in your face. “Mongo just a pawn in game of life!”

A dropped ball never bounces as high from whence it came. The rebound is dependent upon the gravity of the situation, in this case specifically public health, confidence and any surplus savings. Paychecks have stopped completely in many areas.

Stay strong, stay inside and we don’t need this to spike twice or more. Thank God for truckers amongst many others.

*Just flew into JFK early this morning from ANC, still too many people out joy riding around. Definitely less than last week so that’s good. Oceanic control had some turmoil last night due to virus concerns kind of like New York shutting down temporarily for virus exposure. Yeah, good times - not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SocialD said:

...and DAL just took our partial pay leaves off the table and said you can take a personal leave of absence (no pay).  Essentially, because it might look bad to the other employee groups. 🙄

If it was “just” taken off the table, did anyone manage to secure it prior - or it didn’t matter if or when as it just dissipated like vaping entirely... basically an expired shelf life for management to capitalize on? No take-backsies dammit. This blows...

Just now, AirGuardianC141747 said:

If it was “just” taken off the table, did anyone manage to secure it prior - or it didn’t matter if or when as it just dissipated like vaping entirely... basically an expired shelf life for management to capitalize on? No take-backsies dammit. This blows...

Although they were under no obligation to offer them, they negotiated to reinstate SILs (55 hour no-fly line) and then said they were going to offer them for May and June.  Then the day they were supposed to be posted for bid, they said nevermind, that doesn't work for us right now.  Basically, they don't want to upset the other employee groups (non-union) since 13k of them took unpaid leaves...then they offered us over 4,000 personal (unpaid) leaves of absence.  So they'll pay me 72 hours to sit reserve and likely not fly since we have 60-90 guys on reserve every day and basically no trips to fly (WB international category) rather than paying me 55 hours.  Of course they could be trying to negotiate a lowered line value.  In the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal, but it just destroyed what trust the pilot group had left in management.  Lots of moderate folks just turned hardline.

• Like 2

Phew! So not a total rug pulled from under you, that’s much better to hear. Yes, these moves do not solidify trust.

Thank you for clarification. Public needs you back, you need you back and least of all by far regarding our importance (we’re behind the scenes) us box haulers need you back. So much easier than chasing company iron around. Appreciate what you do.

• Like 1

Don’t be fooled.  The Bobs will put any of us on the street to save themselves.  Even SWA.  

I don’t trust “the Bobs” at all (or the Gary’s and Tammys at SWA), but SWAPA and the majority of other guys at the company are in it as a team. It’s been pretty cool to see. The private talk on our SWA forums is a pretty all-for-one mentality.

On 3/24/2020 at 4:16 PM, nunya said:

Don’t be fooled.  The Bobs will put any of us on the street to save themselves.  Even SWA.  

There are 3 national airlines that I know of that have never furloughed a pilot: SWA, FedEx, and JetBlue.  Based on their balance sheets and the nature of the current threat, I'm really confident those 3 will continue the streak.  I wouldn't be surprised if the F word hits 1-2 of their peers though.

New guidance from our wing (so theoretically from AFRC):

“All airline pilots will self quarantine for 14 days after any trips.”

So the options are to conduct no AFRC duties or telecommute if you’re able to. These are definitely interesting times!

8 hours ago, HercDude said:

There are 3 national airlines that I know of that have never furloughed a pilot: SWA, FedEx, and JetBlue.  Based on their balance sheets and the nature of the current threat, I'm really confident those 3 will continue the streak.  I wouldn't be surprised if the F word hits 1-2 of their peers though.

Sounds like this stimulus bill has some no furlough language through Sept 2020.  If true, and all the airlines take it, I'd be surprised to see any of the big airlines furlough.  But who knows, I never thought I'd see a global pandemic where I'd be forced to stay home either.  

25 minutes ago, Tank said:

New guidance from our wing (so theoretically from AFRC):

“All airline pilots will self quarantine for 14 days after any trips.”

So the options are to conduct no AFRC duties or telecommute if you’re able to. These are definitely interesting times!

Pretty much the same at my ANG squadron.  Not that it matters much since we're basically not flying anyway.  Can't fly at the Guard, can't fly at the airline...shaping up to be a relaxing April of drinking on the porch and watching the world go by.  

Not a big deal for most, but for those CAT E reservists, watch your points and ensure you don't screw up missing a good year.  I've seen it screwed up, especially since a lot of people lose track that a good year is based off the day you entered service, not CY or FY.

38 minutes ago, Cherokeeflyer said:

Hey does anyone here have any gouge on fedex hiring qualifications? I'm looking to make the jump here in 2 years and I'm wanting to make sure I have my ducks in a row. Thanks guys, cheers!

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=fedex+pilot+careers

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Cherokeeflyer said:

Haha yeah I did that, just looking for more specifics, it seems pretty vague 

Honestly, if you're finishing up a 10 year UPT commitment, and meet the mins, you're well qualified.  

• Upvote 2

https://careers.fedex.com/pilot-minimum-qualifications

Not general at all. 500 TPIC required. All other requirements a regulatory—ATP, passport, etc.

Competitive? I’d get a sponsor to provide a Primary Endorsement (PE). When hiring starts back up sometime in 2020 (we think), the first ones to get a call will most likely have a PE.

The hiring landscape has certainly changed almost overnight. I’d expect the cargo outfits to be more selective now. All my opinion; no science there.

On 3/30/2020 at 11:15 AM, ImNotARobot said:

Competitive? I’d get a sponsor to provide a Primary Endorsement (PE). When hiring starts back up sometime in 2020 (we think), the first ones to get a call will most likely have a PE.

The hiring landscape has certainly changed almost overnight. I’d expect the cargo outfits to be more selective now. All my opinion; no science there.

Oooh, I firmly believe your opinion is fact. Applicants are lining up at our door; therefore, more qualified candidates are at your door around the block no doubt about it. We haven’t been able to be selective due to contract issues for years, but now we are starting that trend ever so slightly.

This reverses any leverage we might have thought we had (pilot shortage, etc.) as we fumble through almost a 4 year delayed contract this upcoming Sept. Not good for us, but the checks haven’t bounce as of yet (probably because they are feather weight comparatively).

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

So what’s the current scuttlebutt on when the airlines are going to be hiring again? 

I don't know that any of them are yet even certain if they're going to furlough or not.

That being said, Purple is currently planning on filling classes from the hiring pool throughout the rest of the year.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Hacker, 

Good time to be "in cargo".  Congrats.  

I am going out of my way to not "whistle past the graveyard" -- we have no idea what will be ultimately impacted by this situation, and I don't at all believe that cargo is immune to the wrecking ball.  The 2008 recession hit Purple heavily, and if it weren't for a contract provision that allowed across-the-board reductions in flying hours instead of furloughs, there certainly would have been cargo guys put out on the street, too.

My thought is that if this current thing lasts longer than just the spring/early summer, and really does become another great recession, the job losses (or the delays in re-starting jobs) will mean people will be ordering less stuff online, and there will be a lot less cargo that needs to be moved.  Just like in '08.

So, I think there will be more than enough misery to go around all sectors of the entire industry, unfortunately. I'm strapping in and preparing for the worst.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Complaining Checklist

So I've been keeping up with my airline's pilot forum, doing what any newb should do, stay quiet and listen.  But I'm getting quite tired of the "us vs union vs them vs us," "pay me," and etc. attitudes.  And tired of the "gross mismanagement" talk like anyone would ever fathom that air traffic would fall 95% for months to come.  I've already concluded that there will be displacements and furloughs this fall, barring any further gov't assistance (but now they want to change this latest deal to 70% grant/30% loan).  I'd love to see a 3 Musketeer attitude, but way too much hate/distrust/anger/negativity.  I think I'll look into that truck driving school... oh wait, no schools open.  Day trading? Nope, I'll lose the rest of it trying that.  Instagram Influencer, screw that, I can't pout my face that much and not enough photoshop skillz.  Sport bitching?  Nah, season was cancelled.  Beer light has been on the last 2 weeks solid, which is nice.  Oh well.

Venting - Complete