T-6s Grounded; More OBOGS Issues

FishBowl

Maybe it's just my home setup and software settings, but I have one of the higher resolution VR setups (Samsung Odyssey), but text on an FMS/GPS is unreadable due to not enough resolution unless it is in the "sweet spot" and I "lean in" a bit.  For everything outside the cockpit it is awesome and way better than the bubble projectors outside a physical cockpit for immersion and perspective.  Does the AF setup work better?  If not then it might not be as good of a procedure trainer as hoped as even reading switch labels can be a chore.

Still not sure what the long term impact of 100s of hours of that light being blasted right in my eye would be either, that and something weird with the focusing makes my eyes feel weird for about 10 minutes after taking the contraption off.  I have the PD set to the same value measured on my last 5 flight physicals and all that...  

9 hours ago, Yoda said:

Maybe it's just my home setup and software settings, but I have one of the higher resolution VR setups (Samsung Odyssey), but text on an FMS/GPS is unreadable due to not enough resolution unless it is in the "sweet spot" and I "lean in" a bit.  For everything outside the cockpit it is awesome and way better than the bubble projectors outside a physical cockpit for immersion and perspective.  Does the AF setup work better?  If not then it might not be as good of a procedure trainer as hoped as even reading switch labels can be a chore.

Still not sure what the long term impact of 100s of hours of that light being blasted right in my eye would be either, that and something weird with the focusing makes my eyes feel weird for about 10 minutes after taking the contraption off.  I have the PD set to the same value measured on my last 5 flight physicals and all that...  

This issue (and of MFD refresh rates) is a current problem especially with the T-38s.  It adds a considerable amount of time to the production of videos currently to overcome it.   For T-6s we have not gotten far enough yet but this will be an even higher hurdle as we don't have tapes to pull to grab and re display all that information easily enough.  I do however think the resolution will solve itself as the VR devices continue to improve on their resolution, with 4K VR headsets etc.   That however is completely outside AF ability to correct until the hardware vendors can catch up to that need/ability.  4K for computers is hard enough, throw that with VR and compiling time's for videos the hardware requirement is going to be fairly insane.  Mr. Com Nazi above failed to understand AETC/A6 and Com squadrons completely failed the squadrons from the onset and said "No no no no no" to every request to support these initiatives.  So as much as I am angry the squadrons are pushing this crap on our backs, the A6 and Com Squadrons did nothing to help and in most cases helped create this mess.  But I guess at least you can say you are not finance so small victories. 

Edited by DirtyFlightSuit
Must add parting jab for funsies
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DirtyFlightSuit said:

Mr. Com Nazi above failed to understand AETC/A6 and Com squadrons completely failed the squadrons from the onset and said "No no no no no" to every request to support these initiatives.  So as much as I am angry the squadrons are pushing this crap on our backs, the A6 and Com Squadrons did nothing to help and in most cases helped create this mess.  But I guess at least you can say you are not finance so small victories. 

Damn.  Sorry to hear that.

You can't just do a screen grab with something like Camista, or FRAPs to pull the footage from the VR machine?

Oh wait...those aren't approved software.  FML.  I hope this gets the support it deserves, the no-monkeys need to die in a fire.

2 hours ago, DirtyFlightSuit said:

Mr. Com Nazi above failed to understand AETC/A6 and Com squadrons completely failed the squadrons from the onset and said "No no no no no" to every request to support these initiatives. 

That's why Lt Bagodonuts shouldn't be working these things.  Coordination occurs at the staff level.  If that is failing, a GO needs to crush the staff, not piss on some poor Lt and tell him to "just make it work."

Oh, and I hope your brain doesn't get fried with the VR frame rate issues.  I'm sure a human factors study would have been appropriate, but, you know, innovate.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, DirtyFlightSuit said:

Mr. Com Nazi above failed to understand AETC/A6 and Com squadrons completely failed the squadrons from the onset and said "No no no no no" to every request to support these initiatives.  So as much as I am angry the squadrons are pushing this crap on our backs, the A6 and Com Squadrons did nothing to help and in most cases helped create this mess.

this.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

I think VR is going to be fantastic for a lot of training.  It's not going to take 15 years, and not with the fire that Cyber and pilot production has.  We have internal AF developers that can kick down doors and get this shit done.  FFS the last 24 AF/CC was a Viper driver and is now ACC/CV... 

Win10 migrations was having significant changes to the network every week.  They got done because CSAF, AFSPC and 24 AF CC stood behind it.  With SECAF, CSAF, AETC CC (and ACC/CC) behind it this could work the same.

Is this serious? I cant burn a goddamn flightplan to a data card because of AF Comm, and just this week I lost access to our primary mission planning website with no easy workaround.

At work today after waiting 30 minutes for GTIMs to load unsuccessfully someone said we should contract our comm out to the Chinese since they are in every system we have anyway. Chances are they would be more competent in keeping things running and give us a fighting chance against the Russians.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Snirifle said:

Is this serious? I cant burn a goddamn flightplan to a data card because of AF Comm, and just this week I lost access to our primary mission planning website with no easy workaround.

At work today after waiting 30 minutes for GTIMs to load unsuccessfully someone said we should contract our comm out to the Chinese since they are in every system we have anyway. Chances are they would be more competent in keeping things running and give us a fighting chance against the Russians.

That's not a AF directive about data drives, and there's good reason for it I can't get into on here. 

GTIMs...a PMO system that causes all kinds of headaches.  I tried (and failed) to get GTIMs some special easy pass for changes and updates.  Alas, the prior mentioned GS's and Contractors weren't see it my way, and I couldn't get higher level buy in since we had higher priority items (Win10 migration).

No the Chineses aren't.  

For the rest of the cyber stuff, we can kick it over the to cyber thread.  I'll reply there to anything here, to not further derail.  If a mod wants to move a bunch of this over, that'd be cool too.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Homestar said:

That's why Lt Bagodonuts shouldn't be working these things.  Coordination occurs at the staff level.  If that is failing, a GO needs to crush the staff, not piss on some poor Lt and tell him to "just make it work."

Oh, and I hope your brain doesn't get fried with the VR frame rate issues.  I'm sure a human factors study would have been appropriate, but, you know, innovate.

Unfortunately, no one at the staff has the balls to talk to the general and tell him the coordination is failing.

• Upvote 2

That's why Lt Bagodonuts shouldn't be working these things.  Coordination occurs at the staff level.  If that is failing, a GO needs to crush the staff, not piss on some poor Lt and tell him to "just make it work.

Maybe having Lt Bagodonuts hobble together the first hack a the solution is a good idea. From there, the staff can be put in motion to serve rather than stall. We know it doesn't work (well) the other way. Until we reach a solution we'd like to implement (which should be the same across the bases), I reserve judgement. Maybe UPT Next also leading the implementation initiative of they're brain child would be appropriate up front...everyone reinventing the wheel certainly is not. 

The T-6 syllabus changes will reveal themselves for what they are over the next 6 months as students move on to the next phase and demonstrate their capabilities...until then, I reserve judgement.

As for OBOGS, it seems the safety channel has gone quiet. It clamped down due to leaks not long ago, but I haven't seen even the scrubbed version of communication since the "we figure it out" briefing. I have seen the public articles saying as much. If UPE's aren't happening, then I guessed it's solved. Umm...reserve judge, yet again, I guess.

In the interest of specifically useful: UPT Next needs to branch off of "innovation" and address implementation now that we've bit. If that slows innovation, that HAS TO BE okay. If it's not, just stop f'ing up our shit; in fact just stop.

~Bendy

UPE's have actually spiked the last couple weeks. DLF has had like 7 just last week. Rumor about the increased humidity due to WX being a contributing factor possibly.

Hahaha...good to know; I had not heard about that...and I fly the damned things. Although I've been on a lot of leave, it's September after all.

The oxygen system's effectiveness is subject to humidity at this point. Sliders, concentration variation, physiological weakness...geesh.

Problem solved.

~Bendy