T-6s Grounded; More OBOGS Issues

FishBowl

1 hour ago, Sprkt69 said:

That and AETC’s desire to cut the F-16 syllabus to 30 something sorties should work out great 

Yeah, its ridiculous.  The CAF is already hurting and we are going to give them wingmen that can start the jet and thats about it.

6 hours ago, mp5g said:

Maybe I’ve missed it because we are talking about the same problems in about 4 different threads, but is IFF sticking around with the plan to send dudes through an elongated (sts) T-6 syllabus then on to the Viper?

No. That would be “excessive training”. T-6 straight to the FTU

Great. So are the changing the CAP program in the pipelines as well? I think it’s only fair that the dudes who have skipped everything having to do with airmanship in a supersonic trainer/fighter get branded with a scarlet letter or something on their nametags. Auto self-identify once they walk into a briefing room. 

5 minutes ago, mp5g said:

Great. So are the changing the CAP program in the pipelines as well? I think it’s only fair that the dudes who have skipped everything having to do with airmanship in a supersonic trainer/fighter get branded with a scarlet letter or something on their nametags. Auto self-identify once they walk into a briefing room. 

We know.

Are they really doing a long T-6 program straight to F-16s? The Navy was planning on doing that to shorten their Goshawk requirements when I was going through Whiting. Its the whole reason their T-6 has a HUD and MFCDs. Any Navy peeps wanna chime in if that's actually working? 

18 minutes ago, Hodor said:

Are they really doing a long T-6 program straight to F-16s? The Navy was planning on doing that to shorten their Goshawk requirements when I was going through Whiting. Its the whole reason their T-6 has a HUD and MFCDs. Any Navy peeps wanna chime in if that's actually working? 

Yes, they are actually testing it

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2018/02/23/air-forces-grounded-t-6-trainers-could-fly-again-next-week/
Do I read this correctly? They are starting to fly the T-6 again on Monday but you won't use your mask, instead the plan is to breath cockpit air at low enough altitudes?  Any push back from the guys actually flying this plan?

What we are hearing is sometime next week limited flying will begin. At my base we may only have 6-9 aircraft that pass inspection with the new tcto. Each base sent a smattering of pilots down to rnd for training and flying the t-6 with the new “configiration.” They will return to teach us how to fly breathing ambient air, then the ct train will start.

I’ll believe it when I see it. Sounds like another shit sandwich the Air Force is trying to shove down our throats in order to progress the timeline and help that pilot shortage!

The configuration basically bypasses the anti-suffocation valve so you can breathe cockpit air with your mask up. Testing going on this week was to (hopefully) uncover any flaws and determine the operating envelope (probably <18K’).

Like BL said, many planes are not passing the TCTOs, so it won’t be 100% ops even if we do fly soon. 

I particularly enjoy the fact that they are 100% claiming cockpit air is good with a extreme small sample size, especially when you take in consideration the incident rate of the obogs issues.   No one is reassured with a handful of flights that say its good to go.  That article is worthless and the testing was pushed forward just for its release.

I particularly enjoy the fact that they are 100% claiming cockpit air is good with a extreme small sample size, especially when you take in consideration the incident rate of the obogs issues.   No one is reassured with a handful of flights that say its good to go.  That article is worthless and the testing was pushed forward just for its release.

Add in issues with our EADI and EHSI flying to fail and causing massive smoke and fumes in the cockpit and the fact that our CFIS may not work and you have yourselves a winning combination. What could possibly go wrong with breathing ambient air?

I see the AF has jumped on the bad idea train as it passed through town.  Had a buddy have an inflight electrical fire during our time as IPs in the T-6.  He wasn't right until a few hours after but thought he was perfectly fine, and that was from the smoke alone in the cabin as he was on the emergency bottle.  The EADI or EHSI starts smoking and you are breathing ambient cabin air?  I guess the AF has tied your hands as to the inflight "fix" for that...

Take some extra time to preflight that ejection seat and maybe go back to Aero Phys just for a refresher should you chose to fly...