F-16 Students skip Phase III

matmacwc

6 hours ago, hindsight2020 said:

But hey, I'm just a guy trying to come home to the frau and kid after an honest day's effort in the rickety rocket. Doing the bidding for the goddamn House of Saud whilst they tell us we're somehow at max domestic production capacity in the same sentence, and my peers are out flying safe automated whales on the outside paying twice as much. So what the fvck do I know.

Nothing new under the sun though, I'm just saying it would be nice to fly something a little less rode hard and put away wet sometime before my retirement for all my troubles. Wish in one hand and shit on the other type of thing....

BTW Prince Saleem needs more cigarette breaks and 12 more 87 rides.  He's on the 2 year UPT program.  Also he won't make formal brief Monday because he's got some Tinder dates in Dallas on Sunday and he doesn't want to drive his Maserati back in the dark.  He may make 3rd go if Allah wills it.  As-salamu alaykamu  vanilla face.

sad.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AZwildcat said:

BTW Prince Saleem needs more cigarette breaks and 12 more 87 rides.  He's on the 2 year UPT program.  Also he won't make formal brief Monday because he's got some Tinder dates in Dallas on Sunday and he doesn't want to drive his Maserati back in the dark.  He may make 3rd go if Allah wills it.  As-salamu alaykamu  vanilla face.

sad.jpg

Word. 

So here's another story for ya. So there I was as an attached flyer, watching the flt/cc give the cats the formal release spiel. Some shit went down in San Antone I wasn't privy to the weekend prior, and they got straight up Shawshank'd into "flight room CAP". Nobody goes anywhere without an alibi, and pack a lunch. So fast forward to the next day right around 1100ish and I'm about to brief my kid when I see the flt/cc go over to a couple of studs motioning and arguing with Prince S. on the center table:

flt/cc: "Where you think you're going man?"

Pr. S: "Uh, Silver Wings zzir"

flt/cc: "No you're not, what did I tell all of you yesterday about bringing in lunch with ya?"

Pr. S: "Oh yes zzir, but zzir, you see...I don't have a wife, so I don't have anybody to make me lunch...."

The collective room:  :notworthy::rock::salut::thumbsup::bash:

I had to bury my face to contain my laughing outburst. I'll never forget the pregnant pause from the flt/cc. Truly didn't see it coming. It was truly a #thuglife moment, and the sincerity and nonchalance with which he said that was Epic... and the day I realized this goddamn place had jumped the shark.

Fast forward more years than I care to remember or admit to, and I feel like the Houston WTF reporter. 50% of my daily grind is spent on this ME nonsense, but somehow we're all tapped out of 38 domestic production up in here though, but DTS ain't gonna unfornicate itself either. And now this mickey mouse business about zero-to-hero? Holy Mary and Joseph on a donkey. Like the man said:

Edited by hindsight2020
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

On 11/24/2017 at 1:38 AM, ViperStud said:

Challenge accepted. Where’d you hear this?  Tucson guys heard the rumor it’s a Kelly thing. I think we may all be getting ahead of ourselves here. 

Yeah, it might be Kelly.  I'm not sure...all I knew was it definitely wasn't Luke or Holloman.

On 11/24/2017 at 10:48 PM, Clark Griswold said:

Gonking further on this, WTH would be come of the T-1 Phase III if this dumpster fire of a COA becomes policy?

I don't see AMC, AFSOC, AFMC, etc... ok with deleting half of the training for some of their future pilots and accepting that likely very large and expensive training bill to get them to the experience and proficiency level required to complete their MDS qual.  

The new guys we are getting out of FTU can barely fly as it is!  They get 6ish flights and take a checkride.  Then show up back home and get 6-9 more flights.  That is obviously with the full-up T-1 syllabus.  Typical USAF thinking...save hours on a $1000/hr jet...only to spend more hours on a $10,000/hr jet a few months down the road.  Idiots.

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, Bergman said:

The new guys we are getting out of FTU can barely fly as it is!  They get 6ish flights and take a checkride.  Then show up back home and get 6-9 more flights.  That is obviously with the full-up T-1 syllabus.  Typical USAF thinking...save hours on a $1000/hr jet...only to spend more hours on a $10,000/hr jet a few months down the road.  Idiots.

Yup 

9 hours ago, Bergman said:

Would you expect anything less from the morons on the staff? If we were a civilian company we would have been bankrupt a decade ago. 

Edited by dream big

There are a few programs being looked in order to increase the number of pilots.  The AUS plan was hatched from AU and is the test case to explore the use of VR in pilot training.  The direct to T-1 is a different path.  Realize that most of these good ideas are not from the staff, rather much higher on the food chain.  Both of these are...interesting...at best.  The first is "Technology will save us" the second is "Of course civilian time/training is the same as military time/training."  They both operate on the premise that the current training model is outdated and is the reason why we have a pilot shortage.  Again...leadership thoughts, not the staff.

17 minutes ago, carminsandiego said:

so why is this idea being tossed around only for F16s? It's probably one of the most task saturating airframes out there right now... 

I'm not saying it's a good idea but wouldn't this be more feasible for the mudhens pilots?

I'm guessing this is the standard Viper-guy Strike Eagle joke, but...I don't think having a WSO means what you think it means. 

If the WSO is spending any of their SA on making sure the pilot is flying the jet (or telling them how to), then they're not able to actually do their job. 

I don't think this is a good idea for any airframe. And, if you look at the last FY's worth of UPT assignment drops, the F-16 community has (unfortunately) become AFPC's dumping ground for every slightly below average who can breathe and fly simultaneously, so I'm sure they've got a coherent master plan for this.

What I find so weird in all this is that the Aircrew Crisis Taskforce's solution to experienced dudes leaving is to shove more shit in the intake end of the process?  Increasing brand new inexperienced pilots is the solution?  Isn't there an absorption problem right now where there aren't enough training slots for current grads and they are waiting a long time to train in many airframes?  I also just read that experience levels are plummeting in many squadrons.  So now we're going to just create more inexperience pilots, with less initial training.  Sounds like a logical solution. 

• Upvote 1

What I find so weird in all this is that the Aircrew Crisis Taskforce's solution to experienced dudes leaving is to shove more shit in the intake end of the process?  Increasing brand new inexperienced pilots is the solution?  Isn't there an absorption problem right now where there aren't enough training slots for current grads and they are waiting a long time to train in many airframes?  I also just read that experience levels are plummeting in many squadrons.  So now we're going to just create more inexperience pilots, with less initial training.  Sounds like a logical solution. 

Funny they missed an opportunity for 55 dudes and dudettes who have T-38 training and deployed operational experience with 1500-2000 hours of flight time to help fill the experience gap and they stowed a majority of them away in the 11R community.

Something tells me the Air Force doesn’t really want to solve this problem they have created.

18 minutes ago, B.L said:

Funny they missed an opportunity for 55 dudes and dudettes who have T-38 training and deployed operational experience with 1500-2000 hours of flight time to help fill the experience gap and they stowed a majority of them away in the 11R community.

Something tells me the Air Force doesn’t really want to solve this problem they have created.

Too old, the AF want's youngin"s so it can project a long term outlook.  Senior Captains going through a basic fighter course would be expensive and thy would only get 3-5 years out of them before commitment is up.  The other elephant in the rooms is the AF knows who got the MC-12's (I assume you are referencing) out of SUPT, not the top grads.

1 hour ago, matmacwc said:

Too old, the AF want's youngin"s so it can project a long term outlook.  Senior Captains going through a basic fighter course would be expensive and thy would only get 3-5 years out of them before commitment is up.  The other elephant in the rooms is the AF knows who got the MC-12's (I assume you are referencing) out of SUPT, not the top grads.

shack

1 hour ago, B.L said:

preach